HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2010, 10:34 AM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
color match?

Since my work is tending to leave some unwanted battle scars, I was wondering if anyone has come up with a "perfect match" in touch-up paint?
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 11:20 AM
Sir Crash Alot
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmanzuk View Post
Since my work is tending to leave some unwanted battle scars, I was wondering if anyone has come up with a "perfect match" in touch-up paint?
What? Are you a MadMan or something?

It's called weathering and it's perfectly normal, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Does it really rise to the level of "battle scar"? Accidentally drop a cinder block on the fuse, etc.?

I have mine too. Mostly at the hinge point of the rudder from wrestling with the geometry problems I experinced with the wimpy control arm.

I was just gonna grab a little bottle of Testers from my LHS, that was close in color. I don't think they will be inviting my to Scale Masters anytime soon so...plus...

I think the last thing on anyones' mind when they have a Hell Fire missle chasing them is a small or even a large scratch.

"It's battle worn and Ready!" Just tell them that down at the field.
NewEMan is offline Find More Posts by NewEMan
Old May 25, 2010, 04:12 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
scars aplenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEMan View Post
What? Are you a MadMan or something?.
Oh, my YES!

Quote:
I have mine too. Mostly at the hinge point of the rudder from wrestling with the geometry problems I experinced with the wimpy control arm.
In cutting out the servo covers, I discovered that they were covered with monoKote, and boy did I give 'em all a case of the big uglies.

Quote:
I was just gonna grab a little bottle of Testers from my LHS, that was close in color.
I chose Model Master, and got a reasonably good match with their Neutral Gray ... which works for the flanges on the servo covers, but I wouldn't want to use it over large areas, because it's NOT the "perfect match. It IS enamel, and it DOESN'T dissolve the monokote, which is what I worried about most. The LHS guy told me to expect the enamel to chip and flake; so I guess I'll eventually get back to the look you're suggesting.

Quote:
I think the last thing on anyones' mind when they have a Hell Fire missile chasing them is a small or even a large scratch.
Predators and Reapers worry more about Mig-launched air-to-air incoming traffic (YouTube video available) or an occasional shoulder fired ground-to-air beastie. NEVER worry about a Hellfire when you're on the shooting end.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:23 PM
Sir Crash Alot
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2010
73 Posts
My Motor Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15Ejetmac View Post
I cut cooling grooves in the spacer I made for the motor.
How did you attach the spacer to the motor? The pic is a little fuzzy. I had a similar idea, see picture. The jpeg is a little fuzzy. The zip file is a clear bitmap image. Originally I was just gonna do up a quick and dirty sketch in MS Paint, but got a little carried away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15Ejetmac View Post
...ran into them same issue with the “ impossible to glue” situation. All I know is it will have to be some sort of solvent based glue, even purple primer and pvc glue didn’t work for me! If you find something that does work, PLEASE post it!
I heard back from Cliff of Mercury Adhesives and I plan on sending him the remains of my strut so he can play mad scientist with it. There is bound to be many more like us.
Last edited by NewEMan; May 26, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:02 PM
Traded in the F15 for MQ9
Alamogordo, NM
Joined Jul 2008
51 Posts
MTS ball mounted!

OK, well here goes….
I made the spacer for the motor from 1inch PVC schedule 40, all the cooling holes/grooves are cut with a dremel tool and a sanding disc, I am all about using what I got and keeping the $$ cost down. I just used thin CA to glue it to the motor.

I received my 360 degree servo today so I built the MTS ball up. Again, KISS effect. I used balsa wood and glue, I now have a 360 degree MTS ball. I still need to work on the ball to fuse gap but that’s a minor adjustment. I have a key chain cam set up in the ball now, but that will change some time down the road,…….I hope.

I think I have the “perfect match” in the paint, its testers gloss grey #1238. I used it to touch up my hack job on the MTS ball and I can’t tell a difference……can you?

I might actually be able to do a maiden flight this weekend!
F15Ejetmac is offline Find More Posts by F15Ejetmac
Old May 26, 2010, 12:56 AM
Joined May 2010
2 Posts
Yah, i broke mine....lol

I was trying to configure the ESC when the engine went to full throttle and it tried to fly off my table.....so yah, it broke the wing a little

I was thinking about gluing some balsa wood in there to fix it. Anyone have any other suggestions?
finalstar is offline Find More Posts by finalstar
Old May 26, 2010, 07:06 AM
Sir Crash Alot
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalstar View Post
Yah, i broke mine....lol

I was trying to configure the ESC when the engine went to full throttle and it tried to fly off my table.....so yah, it broke the wing a little

I was thinking about gluing some balsa wood in there to fix it. Anyone have any other suggestions?
First, welcome to the build thread. (should have said that the first time you posted) Now that's a battle scar!

I'm assuming the primary objective is to just make it "more" airworthy than it is currently. If it was me I would probably do as you say. Cut out the damaged area to a point where you have unaffected structure and build it back up.

I would probably take it to the next ribs and to the spar, sister up some new ribs and resheet with whatever additional balsa is needed to as closely match the original structure. You may not need to go to that extreme though, you can just clean it up to a spot that is as close to the damage as you can, and then sister and sheet.

Then comes the skin graft. Finding the right color may be difficult. You might have to use a close match and then paint it to match.

Please let us know what solution you come to. There will be others, I'm not counting myself out yet.

Note to Self for shopping list: Get miniature aircraft hold-downs.
Last edited by NewEMan; May 26, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:28 AM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
or ...

Quote:
Get miniature aircraft hold-downs.
or ... maybe leave the prop off the bird during initial setup?
Old May 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
Sir Crash Alot
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
Oh, come on. Where's your sense of adventure?
Old May 26, 2010, 06:11 PM
Traded in the F15 for MQ9
Alamogordo, NM
Joined Jul 2008
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmanzuk
Oh, sure, play the common sence card
You know that's not allowed

Seriously
Final star.
Thanks for the lesson, I hope you are able to fix her up, and I hope you did not get hurt!
F15Ejetmac is offline Find More Posts by F15Ejetmac
Old May 26, 2010, 06:18 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
or, you can continue as you were ...

Quote:
Oh, come on. Where's your sense of adventure?
Go HERE if you want a couple of reasonably good reasons ... which go beyond the wing-leading-edge issue.

OUCH!

But I digress ... back to building Jack-the-Reaper.
Old May 26, 2010, 07:36 PM
Sir Crash Alot
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2010
73 Posts
Quote:

OUCH!

But I digress ... back to building Jack-the-Reaper.
Yeah, I'm wondering now...do they make prop-less airplanes. Oh, that's right, there called JETS.

Can anyone tell me how to fit a ducted fan in this thing?
Old May 26, 2010, 10:48 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone tell me how to fit a ducted fan in this thing?
No way, my friend. For THAT we must wait for the Predator C (Avenger) model to be marketed as an EDF.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:44 PM
Sir Crash Alot
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
No way, my friend. For THAT we must wait for the Predator C (Avenger) model to be marketed as an EDF.
One word says it all: SEXY!
Old May 28, 2010, 07:13 AM
Sir Crash Alot
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2010
73 Posts
Nose Gear Problem Fixed!

Well, almost. Since I have returned a not-so-great Great Planes model to Tower Hobbies I have some extra vig laying around, so I got a little extravagant.

I'm going to be using a Robart Robostrut: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES74&P=0

Yes, it is normally for main gear, but it is more scale than the standard offset versions. And yes it is an unconventional use of this gear, but then it will match the airplane.

I also picked up a Tru Turn 3-blade 2 1/4" Aluminum spinner. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHME9&P=0