HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2001, 09:05 PM
cincinati, oh
Joined Jul 2001
216 Posts
Help with Guillow's Spitfire.....TIA

Okay, i recently purchased a guillows 27 wing span spitfire. i have the gws pico pack, and am assuming that i can use this for ruddel and elevator controls. i have no problem building the plane, but have absxolutly no idea what to power it with. i have [had thanks to wings letting go at 100 feet] a litestik...and that is the extent of my experience with e flight...more experience with glow

so if anyone knows what kind of engine/battery combo works, and any special building tips for maing this plane an electric PLEASE let me know, and give me any tips you have.

thanks fellas

scott

ps. i did do a search and didnt find anything

pps...not that it matters....BUT... if anyone had any glow ideas for the plane that would be fine to...but e prefered!
ramw5p is offline Find More Posts by ramw5p
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2001, 09:52 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
642 Posts
I have a 20" Grumman Wildcat that I am powering with a Graupner S280 motor, a GWS 5A ESC, and 8 150ma NiCads.

With a small airplane like that Spitfire you are better off with direct drive because of the prop size limitation.

Robbie
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old Sep 28, 2001, 03:55 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,757 Posts
Ask a simple question- get more confusing answers.

I suspect that your lightstick gear might work, although I'm a little concerned with the prop pitch speed. You should also be careful to keep the airplane as light as possible- shoot for about 6-7 ounces. Spitfires have a tendency to tipstall, use lots, repeat lots of washout and keep the cg forward. I'm playing with a Sterling P-40 in the same size range- my first guess at a power system is a Speed 280 geared 3:1 with a Gunther prop, and an 8 cell 300 mAH battery pack. Note that I haven't flown it yet. The rest of the gear from the Litestik should work. Check the website of rcmicroflight for the article that Tom Hunt wrote on a Bearcat. If you want to be zoomie- then try a Speed 300 direct drive on 6 cell 350 mAH nicads- flights will be very short though.

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:38 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
To ramw5p

Guillows "27 Spitfire.

I plan on building this one as well. I have the gear for it so far it is the following:

Dual IPS (S2) GWS motor
HS-50 Servos
GWS Single rate 5/6 channel "lightweight" reciever
GP C-10 micro esc ( weighs lighter than GWS 5 amp esc)
Batteries: 6-7 cell 500mah AAA Nihms

Note: I will be adding a little depth and lenth to the main wing.
I plan on ailerons and retracts despite any opposition.
I know this can be done because these kits can be built extremely light and "in the air strong" (like a real plane should be).
Covering will most likely be Silk Span.

* Ailerons, tail feathers will be super light pull-pull and cable with stearable tail wheel.

*Retracts will be direct link with HS-55 servo if needed.

Cheers

Warren Jones
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
Last edited by Warren Jones; Mar 25, 2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 03:08 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
I would suggest ailerons rather than rudder, you'd have to modify the wing a little but it isn't too tough. If you do go rudder only up the dihedral a little. I also double... even triple what Megowcoupe said about the washout. The Spitfire is one of the best looking airplanes ever made but can get real nasty on you if not configured right. Best of luck with her!

Bryan
RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
Old Mar 25, 2003, 03:58 PM
1/1 scale engineer.
Zurich Switzerland
Joined Sep 2002
223 Posts
have a look at this

and the thread on q&ef spitfire in this forum.

I really think you should consider ailerons. Remember turning on rudder is relying on the secondary effect of the rudder. This is ok for high wing pendulous types but for a low wing war bird with an elliptical wing you are just asking for trouble.

Good luck with the build and let us know how it goes.
Flight Engineer is offline Find More Posts by Flight Engineer
Old Mar 26, 2003, 06:47 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Gotta agree with Flight engineer. I am having extreme difficulty turning and banking a rudder only low wing design with 5 degrees dihedral. In fact, I am in the middle of drawing up an aileron wing for it.

The size SOUNDS like the sort of speed 280-speed 400 range. For a cheapo I'd plump for the GWS 300 motor geared up 3.75:1 on 7x5 or 8x6 prop. Nice on 7 cells.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:52 AM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Based on similar models I have seen friends fly, believe direct drive 280 with Gunther 140x110mm prop would work well.

Chuck Hill
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
Old Mar 26, 2003, 06:51 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,447 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckHHill
Based on similar models I have seen friends fly, believe direct drive 280 with Gunther 140x110mm prop would work well.

I agree with Chuck, a direct drive 280 on 6-7 270-300NIMH and a gunther push on 5 x 4 prop will make it go well. let's hope you can keep it to 8 ounces RTF.

Tom
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:21 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
My Guillows Spit build

So far the wing is underway.
Ailerons, retracts and flaps. Total weight so far 1.4 oz.
I initally planed for a mega 16/7/12 motor. I have just noticed that Razor puts out a nice looking (even smaller) BL as well.

I don`t know much about the new "little" razors, so we`ll see.

Cheers
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:11 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Consider the MPjet 25/25 - comes with box. Use 7x5 prop. Its small, light and has bags of power.

And doesn't cost a firtune either.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1