HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2010, 03:10 PM
LEICESTERSHIRE UK
Joined Nov 2008
227 Posts
Discussion
Diy drill jig for use when making your own folding blade holders

HI all. Am down to my last set of standard CX2 blades' and decide to make all the bust ones into folding blade holders. This is frieslanders idea. The only thing I did different was to make a small drill jig as I did not want to mark out every pivot hole or place one holder over the other and drill that way' as I had quite a few to do. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN MAKING THE JIG. I HAVE PUT A HOW TO ON MY BLOG GLO.
gloworm is offline Find More Posts by gloworm
Last edited by gloworm; Apr 30, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2010, 03:44 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Great idea thanks!
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:37 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloworm View Post
HI all. Am down to my last set of standard CX2 blades' and decide to make all the bust ones into folding blade holders. This is frieslanders idea. The only thing I did different was to make a small drill jig as I did not want to mark out every pivot hole or place one holder over the other and drill that way' as I had quite a few to do. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN MAKING THE JIG. I HAVE PUT A HOW TO ON MY BLOG GLO.
I have been making my own pivoting blade holders by cutting the contour of the holder portion and putting in my own holes visually(easy enough to do). The important thing is to use locknuts to keep the blades attached because even double-nutting them doesn't work. The blades want to be nice and free so they pivot nicely. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much for one of the holders to break, even if it just tips on a landing. Father's Day is coming and my sons usually get me a PayPal giftcard. I have to decide if I want the HeliTek or Xtreme blade grips.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 01, 2010, 01:20 PM
LEICESTERSHIRE UK
Joined Nov 2008
227 Posts
NighthawkF thanks for reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
Great idea thanks!
Thanks for reply nighthawk' hope you find it useful' you can use the same idea for just about any parts that you may have a lot off, saves time in the long run and all your holes will be in the same place from one part to another' that's why they use jigs in a mechine shop. regards glo
Old May 01, 2010, 01:29 PM
LEICESTERSHIRE UK
Joined Nov 2008
227 Posts
kodak_ jack thanks for reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I have been making my own pivoting blade holders by cutting the contour of the holder portion and putting in my own holes visually(easy enough to do). The important thing is to use locknuts to keep the blades attached because even double-nutting them doesn't work. The blades want to be nice and free so they pivot nicely. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much for one of the holders to break, even if it just tips on a landing. Father's Day is coming and my sons usually get me a PayPal giftcard. I have to decide if I want the HeliTek or Xtreme blade grips.
Thanks for reply kodak_jack' will keep in mind about how easy they brake. In which case the jig might not be such a bad idea after all. regards. glo..
Last edited by gloworm; May 01, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old May 02, 2010, 07:24 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for reply kodak_jack' will keep in mind about how easy they brake. In which case the jig might not be such a bad idea after all. regards. glo..
The problem I've run into is that you use old wrecked blades to make the pivoting blades. Then, you crash or tip and those bases for the pivots break. Now, you find yourself buying new blades and cutting them up to make more bases. One set of each blade, A and B, is $4. That's $8 every time you buy new blades to be cut up for pivoting bases. Before too long, you've reached what it'll cost to just buy the ones out there.
BTW, since you are obviously a CX2 guy, I'd like to get the CX2 thread going again since we seem to have all of these CX2 threads popping up separately. Maybe if we go to one thread we'll get better responses.
Old May 02, 2010, 12:13 PM
LEICESTERSHIRE UK
Joined Nov 2008
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The problem I've run into is that you use old wrecked blades to make the pivoting blades. Then, you crash or tip and those bases for the pivots break. Now, you find yourself buying new blades and cutting them up to make more bases. One set of each blade, A and B, is $4. That's $8 every time you buy new blades to be cut up for pivoting bases. Before too long, you've reached what it'll cost to just buy the ones out there.
BTW, since you are obviously a CX2 guy, I'd like to get the CX2 thread going again since we seem to have all of these CX2 threads popping up separately. Maybe if we go to one thread we'll get better responses.
kodak_ jack you could be right about the cost and I will probably go the the same route as you in the end. CX2 THREAD IS A GOOD IDEA KEEP ME POSTED IF YOU DECIDE TO DO IT. REGARDS GLO
Old May 02, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
Quote:
kodak_ jack you could be right about the cost and I will probably go the the same route as you in the end. CX2 THREAD IS A GOOD IDEA KEEP ME POSTED IF YOU DECIDE TO DO IT. REGARDS GLO
It's right there with this one. Have a look. Lots of good stuff.