HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:49 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
Alert
Ebay alert: Feedback bots

See this thread and the adjacent one about 'planemodel888'. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post14974463

After escalating complaints about this vendor sending wrong or defective products, we looked closer. In the same day this vendor got 90 positive ebay feedbacks in a category where many offerings run to the end of their auction times with no bids at all.

Looking closer yet, and comparing to the boards I administer, I found the same correlation between same-text feedback reports and random-character usernames that I find with spambots.

IOW, this seller is using a feedback bot and very likely has been all along. I don't know how to predict in advance which ebay sellers are and which aren't, but it's readily apparent that it's being done and ebay has no system in place to prevent it.

Just if you see a predominance of jibberish screennames in the feedback list, very similar text, and a disproportionate number of reports per unit time, do not do business with that ebay seller. Or avoid ebay altogether, like I do.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:50 AM
Pa.
Joined Mar 2009
837 Posts
arb the person is just going to change screen name and start all over again with a clean slate ... said but true and burn more people never ending cycle .. look at how ebay tries to look big .. do a search any item and get what 500000 pages of items but realy only 50 items and 200 different sellers .. say20 sellers rest are fake
dude7422 is offline Find More Posts by dude7422
Old Apr 30, 2010, 02:01 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
This person already has at least one new screenname, the same business practices, and the same feedback bot.

No possible way for me or anyone to warn about these one at a time. Just look for the bot evidence:

*All gibberish usernames
*Same text repeated every several lines, or even adjacent lines
*Disproportional number of entries per day
*Finding the same usernames under identical circumstances with vendors of identical product lines--I mean, nobody buys THAT MUCH stuff day in day out.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 02, 2010, 10:29 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I have systematically reported every 4 ch helicopter listing of planemodel888's.
Two days running, and I will

continue to do so until I find happiness.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old May 03, 2010, 02:42 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
One down, one to go. planemodel888, you are NEXT.

Now to make this bugger's eyes water.

Supermarket235 tried to pull this same BS, and I just got them to cancel transaction and agree to let me KEEP the wrong item they sent, Ebay policy be damned.
Old May 03, 2010, 03:02 AM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,466 Posts
I wasn't going to say anything here and don't know about feedback bots but I bought from toymodel888 and finally got a refund on 26gauge wire product when it was supposed to be 22 gauge. Many many messages. After my refund he / they were insisting I post a positive because ("friend" I did you a favor and refunded monies). I refused but gave a neutral. I would say most people would go positive(human nature). THEN I get messages saying if I don't change the rating his pay is being lowered by his boss! This went on for a while and I ignored it.
I got a refund and did not return the junk. Not much money involved though.
I would say now that if ratings aren't 99.5 or better I will stay away.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old May 03, 2010, 03:15 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Good for you. And a pathetic argument, "my boss is gonna lower my pay"...whatta simp.
Rather than even look at the percentage, I'm only looking for fraudulent activity in their feedbacks, from now on, depending on purchase price.
I'm feeling better today, realizing that while I have 3 crummy helis instead of 2 (well, I have no Idea of their quality, do I?) "4 CH METAL..." helis,

I do know this: Two (?) shady ebay marketers had a bad weekend (I filed over 120 'suspected fraudulent listing' reports), and I didn't pay for any of these copters in the end.
Last edited by killbucket; May 03, 2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: arbilab, you Da Man.