HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2010, 12:47 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
No glassing, just WBPU

The plane is not glassed, it just has two coats of Water based Poly Urethane, Fuse is all painted up, I will try to paint the wing this weekend. Temps are now going to hit triple digits with 107 predicted for the next couple of days. Can you say bake the paint? But it will also make my Hangar err, I mean garage and easy bake oven

Turbulence
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2010, 12:30 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,915 Posts
Love the finish and the build thread. What paint are you using over the WBPU and are you putting clear over the top of that?

Thanks for the thread. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:50 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Paint

I only use spray cans, too cheap or too lazy to go the other route, right now this is Model Master spray paint, the color is actually called "Blue Angel Blue" The plan is to use the Yellow trim sheet you see hanging on the T-33 on the last set of pictures where the fuselage is painted, to make the "Navy" and "Blue Angel" Decals and then use spray can clear coat.

Construction, well I finished the flaps, I was saving it for last just because I muffed it up when I cut the flap and I made the cut crooked. On one side of the plane I had to add soft balsa to fill in the missing foam after I sanded. I put a coat of WBPU on the wing and tomorrow I sand lightly, then second coat and finally it will be ready for Paint.

I got the replacement Fan from EJF today, thanks to Ricky and Michael at Hobby Top Gun for getting another one out so quickly

Ralph
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:33 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,915 Posts
Thanks Ralph. I flew my Topgun F4 today with a 3675-1 setup on 7s and it was an amazignly well behaved flyer with a 3d prop plane type take-off ability.

I am looking fwd to my L-39 and following some of your tips. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:03 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Thanks Ralph. I flew my Topgun F4 today with a 3675-1 setup on 7s and it was an amazignly well behaved flyer with a 3d prop plane type take-off ability..........
I like the sound of that!

What is the F4 flying weight and how many watts?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:35 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Blue Angel Blue

Here is the paint I use, It's available in the US at most hobby stores. I been using it for a while because for the Most part, It never eats foam, BUT you have to apply it very light on the first coat. On the L-39, the WBPU covers the foam allowing you to use almost any paint, if you covered it properly.

Turbulence
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:47 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
Here is the paint I use, It's available in the US at most hobby stores. I been using it for a while because for the Most part, It never eats foam, BUT you have to apply it very light on the first coat. On the L-39, the WBPU covers the foam allowing you to use almost any paint, if you covered it properly.

Turbulence
Funny, I just painted my FlyFly F86 with that exact same paint & color! I've been testing paints all week (foam safe and non-foam safe) and this is the best stuff I've found. Non-foam safe is OK if sprayed at 18" with light coats but it would have taken me a week to paint the plane... plus when you're that far away paint dust gets everywhere!

I've had no problems with the Testors eating EPS. Just a light coat every 15 minutes about 2-3 times and it's good....

Debating about spraying or brushing WBPU over it though...
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Jun 05, 2010, 01:29 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,213 Posts
Chad,
Night/Day difference with WBPU. Obviously a little more time consuming, but you will not regret it.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
Maiden!

I worked like a mad man all week (ask my wife) and got my L-39 ready for the maiden. First my final set up:
8s 4000ma 35c
Scorpion HK 3026 1400kv
Stock fan and housing
Retracts
Stock finish
The plane came out at 6.6lbs for a wing loading of 26.4oz square foot and thatís not bad. The rollout was smooth and lift off was about 60 feet. I had to use quite a bit of up elevator due to it being more nose heavy than I wanted. It flew great right off the board and had more than enough power it would actually accelerate straight up. Stalls are very mild mannered and do not fall off the side. I flew around with mixed throttle for eight minutes monitoring the cells with a friends Quantum battery monitor and they never got below 3.6v. I donít know the actual draw until I charge the batteries. The landing was smooth and jet like on the mains and the gear held up to our gravel runway fine. All this at 6500 feet elevation on a hot day. You guys are gona like this airplane! Just want to say thanks to Richard at air show for getting that motor to me lightning fast.

All and all it was the most fun Iíve had flying in a long time...I think Iím hooked on these big jets.
rickbones is offline Find More Posts by rickbones
Old Jun 05, 2010, 06:51 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Congrats

Rick,

Great job, post some pics or video if you got it.

It's 103 outside, so I just put the wing on the hot sun to dry out the WBPU and then flipped the wing over a couple of hours later. I was getting anxious to see if the yellow was going to be the right shade, so I painted the top of the tail.

Turbulence
Old Jun 05, 2010, 08:37 PM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
Thanks CRCJA,

That paint is lookin great!. After the flight this morning I applied the decals in the Slovakian livery and shot a coat of matt clear over the whole airplane. It came out good.

Here are some pics, Sorry no video yet.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:53 AM
hsb
Joined Oct 2005
59 Posts
Where are the videos of the flight?
hsb is offline Find More Posts by hsb
Old Jun 06, 2010, 03:51 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Paint

Well, it's hot as heck out in the Hangar since I don't have A.C. in there, but I did start some of my paint job. I learned I do have to be careful with pulling the tape out. I used the TLAR method to paint the N#7 in the tail.

Turbulence
Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:03 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,213 Posts
Lucky for you, Testors makes both Sprays and Bottles of those colors... Perfect touch-ups made easy!
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:10 PM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
Sorry hsb no video of the maiden. I will try to get some on the next outing by the end of the week. We Will see if CRCJA beats me too it

After charging I had pulled 3500mah out of the 4000mah packs; thats a little close for my comfort so instead of 8 minutes ill keep it down to 6.5 or 7.

A cautionary note:
I turned 20 thousanths out of the housing for the scorpion outrunner and it worked fine for the first two flights but on the third it sounded funny on taxi. I found that the motor had contacted the inside of the housing slightly and by the looks of it got hot and pulled into the plastic mount. I need to get a watt meter on it to make sure its not going over the 1700 watt motor limit.