HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2010, 12:08 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
Manual

I went back to post #21 and updated the picture for the wing spar just to make sure I don't confuse anyone.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=21

Now, During this entire build I have stated, I built the plane with no Manual, I am happy to report that Ricky / Hobby Top Gun has posted the manual on their website. Shipments should have started going out Yesterday and since mine is still stuck in U.S. Customs, some of you might get done before I do

http://www.hobbytopgun.com/services

U.S Customs has till Thursday to release my shipment before I sacrifice my Sapac JAS-39 to gut out and get the motor, and Fan. Since it's glued in I have to tear up the fuse and retire the plane just to get the fan out.

Turbulence
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Last edited by CRCJA; May 18, 2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2010, 10:00 PM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
I am glad the manual is up on the site. I wonder why they have you glue the tail feathers on, then in the next to last step have you square everything up with the wing? I think I will do it the other way around.
It looks a little more like a coloring book than a build manual...guess thats why we have RC groups
rickbones is offline Find More Posts by rickbones
Old May 20, 2010, 01:14 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
Manual

Rick,
That is a typical manual from Ricky, the important part is to make sure all your servo leads are routed and tested before you glue on the vertical stab / rudder. It's a nice to know that if you built one or their planes before, then all you might need is CG and control throws. As you can see everything was predictable, or at least I was able to figure out. There is a very small parts count as compare to the other models.

on another note, the U.S. Customs office decided to give my Sapac JAS-39 a stay of execution my shipment was released from Customs today at 11:16AM

2010-05-19 11:16:00 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA USLAXA Released from Customs

YEEHHAAA time to finish this bad boy.

Turbulence
Old May 21, 2010, 09:32 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
New arrival

So I get home from work today and I have a new Delivery waiting for me at the door. The Second L-39 has finally made it home. I got the Motor, NEW 6 Blade Fan and Retracts. I ran up the motor on a test stand and managed to rub off some of the blades on the housing. You have to be careful when mounting the fan that your are not pressing it together or it will get out of round (Ask me how I found out )

The retracts will either have to be drilled out or just swapped for the stock gear mounts since the retracts are 3MM strut wire and the new struts are 4MM. I will try to swapp mine out to show how it goes. They only change the Main gear, so my TWO suggestions to Ricky are:

1. Increase the strut wire on the Nose gear to 4MM

2. Update the retracts sold with NEW L-39 kits to 4MM wire.

Now this are the same retracts sold for all of their older planes too, so that is why for now I mention for kits sold for L-39.

The Rims for the wheels remain the same, and will NEED some lube to make sure they do not seize. But check out the AWSOME new wheels.

Turbulence
Old May 21, 2010, 11:26 PM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
Thats awsome you got your plane, now you get to fill and sand all over
again.

That fan dosent look FUBAR, why not use it?
Old May 22, 2010, 12:19 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
Melted

it's got about a half inch on the bottom of the fan where it got to hot and very soft, almost melted part of the housing. I will post a picture of it later tonight. I finally cooled here in the desert for tonight, so it's off to the Hangar (err Garage) to build so more.

Turbulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbones View Post
Thats awsome you got your plane, now you get to fill and sand all over
again.

That fan dosent look FUBAR, why not use it?
Old May 22, 2010, 03:26 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
Fan and Retracts

Rick,

I rather not take a chance. Fan is cheap enough to replace the housing and not worry, then to have it rub again and have the plane loose power when you least expect it.

I decided to drill out the Retracts to accept the 4MM strut wire.

Turbulence
Old May 22, 2010, 03:33 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
Wires, Servos, and New wheels

Pictures of the Servos and Lights mostly glued in place and filler applied, I decided to add a peice of light ply to the retract formers. This will be the First plane from Ricky that I do that to, so it's back to "Ask me how I know" that it could use a little more substance or glue area.

Turbulence
Old May 22, 2010, 03:59 AM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
Ok,after seeing the outside fan pics I see what you mean that is FUBAR.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:51 AM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
I should be able to start work on mine this weekend

Once they are in stock it takes no time to get here; from half way around the world to your home town in three days

Processed through Sort Facility, May 27, 2010, 5:20 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85026
Inbound Out of Customs, May 26, 2010, 9:17 am
Inbound Into Customs
Inbound International Arrival, May 26, 2010, 1:01 am, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
Foreign International Dispatch, May 25, 2010, 12:11 am, GUANGZHOU EMS, CHINA PEOPLES REP
Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Foreign Acceptance, May 24, 2010, 6:06 pm
Old May 29, 2010, 09:53 PM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
The plane arived without a scratch. There is a lot of foam here. The paint is is ok but you can see where someone outlined the camo with a magic marker before they shot the paint. Its a good ten foot paint job in flat camo. I think it will look better with a couple of coats of flat clearcoat.

CRCJA's finish will be head and shoulders above stock but he had some extra time. where have you been anyway? I would like a flight report

The cheater is big...I am not sure why cause the shoulder intakes look like enough for the fan. I will most likely put my giant ESC in there. Otherwise its a great airframe and I am sure this one is gona be a hit
Old May 30, 2010, 01:49 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
Sorry Rick,

Duty calls, My worked had me traveling. I spent 3 days in Sacramento last week, this was a short week, I am in Los Angeles for the Holiday weekend and will end up in Sacramento at the end of the weekend for work again. I will not be able to work on the plane until Wednesday.

The basic set up goes by really quick. Good luck with yours and keep us updated.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbones View Post

CRCJA's finish will be head and shoulders above stock but he had some extra time. where have you been anyway? I would like a flight report

Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:31 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,984 Posts
Mine has been ordered and paid for for a couple of weeks now and will hopefully arrive any moment. I am keen to see your finished result and follow some of the great build ideas in this thread. I also got their F4. The f4 and L-39 are to fly at a very ordinary grass field, the F4 went together in a few hours, even with several mods. The L-39 looks a whole class above in design and features. TopGun more of this quality please !
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jun 04, 2010, 01:49 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
Moment of silence

I like to ask for a moment of silence for the first two victims of my L-39 A couple of bugs decided to land on the plane after I coated it with WBPU.

Wing construction is done minus the flap hinges, I got tired of sanding and instead of adding WBPU to the wing, I started feeling a little blue.

Turbulence
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:01 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
Did you fiberglass it?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG