HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:57 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
The first set was not, the second set of Blue Angels was from her. If you look for my Sniper XL, Mirage, C-17 and other buids, you will see some of the other decals she has done for me. (Mig-15, F-86 still not completed but I have the decals from her ) Most come out about $40.00 a set and those are the more involved set.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyst View Post
Thanks Ralph, I assume your decals are her design.
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:04 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Ralph, I assume your decals are her design.

What is #8...?
Do you have a picture of it?
There she is. #8. Pretty, isn't she?...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:07 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
Quote:
One more question guys, I plan to use the Liquid Sheeting-ll, any recommendation for a specific paint material?
Yes, don't use it... It's probably only me, but I had such hard time with LS-II (StyroSpray 1000) that I wouldn't try it again... On this L-39, I went back to fiberglassing. I do use a material called EZE Kote with the Fiberglass, that is VERY easy to use. If you do decide to go with LS-II anyway, I don't think that you will have problem with Acrylic paints. That's what I was going to use.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:24 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,827 Posts
styrospray will accept any paint you want to use on it, of coarse following proper painting procedures and using primer when required.

I would agree with yoram on not using SS but for a completely diff reason. now that I have completed my first SS job on my L39 I can see that it really shouldn't be used on EPO foam. the reason is that epo will expand when heated and show thru the SS finish. this is whats happening to mine currently, it still looks good but that wasn't the finish I was looking for. if you put down a thicker SS coat it will stop this but then you have added too much weight so for me I would absolutely use SS again but it will be on a eps foamy where the finish thickness of the SS will be half or less and no weight issues and no expanding foam under the dark colors of your paint scheme. if you were to do an all white or mostly white paint scheme it might be ok, none of the white areas on my plane are showing this issue but where the purple is gets hot in the sun and expands the foam underneath and shows thru the finish.
update!!!
I had an ooopsy with my L39 a couple of weekends ago and well I was comming out of a tail slide right over the runway and exited about 2' off the runway, looked really cool but didn't really see the 4' brush off the end of the runway and well flew right thru it at about 130mph lol!!! now if I hadn't SS this model the brush would have cut into the foam wing and slapped it into the ground but with the SS hard coating it just wiggled a little bit and I thought uh oh so upon landing and inspection I had two hairline cracks in the leading edge where it struck and because of the wingtip tanks the brush slide down the LE of the wing and caught the tip tanks so most of the damage was right there, it took about a 1/4 in of damage to that spot and I was amazed how little damage there really was, anyway the repair is almost done and seems very easy to work with regarding the repair. I am quite happy with SS it just needs to be applied over the correct foam. here are a few shots of my SS HTG L39
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Last edited by jcdfrd; Jan 16, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
There she is. #8. Pretty, isn't she?...
This is the exact scheme I would like on mine!

Where is #8...? I see only 7...

guyst is offline Find More Posts by guyst
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:12 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,827 Posts
someone had to take the picture
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
someone had to take the picture

I saw your videos, amazing sound.
I understand that you are using 10S, although I was planning on 6S or 8S, is it 12 blades? which fan and motor?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Yes, don't use it... It's probably only me, but I had such hard time with LS-II (StyroSpray 1000) that I wouldn't try it again... On this L-39, I went back to fiberglassing. I do use a material called EZE Kote with the Fiberglass, that is VERY easy to use. If you do decide to go with LS-II anyway, I don't think that you will have problem with Acrylic paints. That's what I was going to use.
Quote:
styrospray will accept any paint you want to use on it, of coarse following proper painting procedures and using primer when required.

I would agree with yoram on not using SS but for a completely diff reason. now that I have completed my first SS job on my L39 I can see that it really shouldn't be used on EPO foam. the reason is that epo will expand when heated and show thru the SS finish. this is whats happening to mine currently, it still looks good but that wasn't the finish I was looking for. if you put down a thicker SS coat it will stop this but then you have added too much weight so for me I would absolutely use SS again but it will be on a eps foamy where the finish thickness of the SS will be half or less and no weight issues and no expanding foam under the dark colors of your paint scheme. if you were to do an all white or mostly white paint scheme it might be ok, none of the white areas on my plane are showing this issue but where the purple is gets hot in the sun and expands the foam underneath and shows thru the finish.
update!!!
I had an ooopsy with my L39 a couple of weekends ago and well I was comming out of a tail slide right over the runway and exited about 2' off the runway, looked really cool but didn't really see the 4' brush off the end of the runway and well flew right thru it at about 130mph lol!!! now if I hadn't SS this model the brush would have cut into the foam wing and slapped it into the ground but with the SS hard coating it just wiggled a little bit and I thought uh oh so upon landing and inspection I had two hairline cracks in the leading edge where it struck and because of the wingtip tanks the brush slide down the LE of the wing and caught the tip tanks so most of the damage was right there, it took about a 1/4 in of damage to that spot and I was amazed how little damage there really was, anyway the repair is almost done and seems very easy to work with regarding the repair. I am quite happy with SS it just needs to be applied over the correct foam. here are a few shots of my SS HTG L39
I never fiber-glassed... so I guess for the first model I will start with the LS-II or the SS, taking into consideration to keep it under the shade in all times (except when it's in the air ), as I'm planning to use dark colors (the Brietling... )
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:49 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,827 Posts
Quote:

I saw your videos, amazing sound.
I understand that you are using 10S, although I was planning on 6S or 8S, is it 12 blades? which fan and motor?
I am using an alloy 90mm wemo pro edf unit using a Neu 1412-2y 1380kv motor on 10s, cc ice2 120amp esc the model auw is 10.5lbs, thrust is around 9lbs

one of the issues with L39's is they get tail heavy real fast so the the weight of your fan unit is pretty critical the 12blade cs or lander fans are good enough but they are heavy add to that the SS and paint and it all adds up too fast
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:54 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
Quote:
This is the exact scheme I would like on mine!

Where is #8...? I see only 7...

Resting... Letting the others play for a while...
I'm also building a YA F/A-18 painted as Blue Angels #8 (this one actually doesn't exist at all. Blue Angels #8 is the announcer. Not a plane...)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
651 Posts
Quote:
I am using an alloy 90mm wemo pro edf unit using a Neu 1412-2y 1380kv motor on 10s, cc ice2 120amp esc the model auw is 10.5lbs, thrust is around 9lbs

one of the issues with L39's is they get tail heavy real fast so the the weight of your fan unit is pretty critical the 12blade cs or lander fans are good enough but they are heavy add to that the SS and paint and it all adds up too fast
I'm thinking of going with the Mercury Alloy 12 Blade 90mm 1900kv 6S and than move to 8S if I need more trust.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:44 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,598 Posts
In thrust we trust!

Then I guess with more trust you are really hopping for an increment in thrust...

Forgive me for the joke please, I can't fly these days and just need to get my releif from anywhere I can, hope you understand

Cheers!
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:50 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,827 Posts
its coming along nicely Yoram
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
Thanks. Wish me luck today, as I'm planning to maiden the Habu32. I'm not a very good jet/EDF pilot, so I'm pretty nervous about it...

Meanwhile-- first pictures of the complete power system. JetFan90, HET 700-68-1680, with Tam Jets' heat sink and tail cone. Wires extended with 10AWG silicone multi-strand extensions. Thrust tube installed (75mm exit diameter). Note the "fin" I created to pass the wires through the thrust tube to create minimal disruption to the thrust.