Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2011
342 Posts
The nose section is rather weak just inside at the back part of the canopy. There are channels in the foam for wires that weaken the structure and will crack easily after a few flights carrying a heavy battery. I just glued some 1/4" dowel along the inside lower edge of the canopy mounting area back into the foam fairing discussed earlier. Plenty strong and light.Cheers  

4stripes!
You have been very helpfull my friend. But you lost me on the dowel part.. would you by any chance have pictures?
Btw. Im crossing my fingers for my new CS blades .... in the mean time, I will do my best in strenghtening this plane out.
Torchy is offline Find More Posts by Torchy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:58 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,883 Posts
Sorry, no pictures now as the plane is at my fathers house. The dowels run along the inside of the battery compartment, just under the lower edge of the canopy, back to anchor into the foam filler between the intakes. PU glue (polyurethane, gorrilla is one brand) sticks to the EPO very well and fills any voids to make the joint stronger. I will try and post some pics later today...
Cheers

PS The neat thing about using dowels is that the holes and channels can be cut with thin brass or aluminum tubing into the soft foam. Just sharpen the edge of the tubing and it will turn right into foam. I use a similar idea when installing carbon fiber arrow shafts into wings to join the two halves. I use an alloy arrow shaft for cutting these deeper holes.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; Nov 21, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
342 Posts
Thanks! will wait for your pics
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:22 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
torchy
the info you seek is in this thread and the other HTG L39 thread, easily found with the search tools. might be faster to goto the "thread tools" drop down and select show all attachments in this thread, this will let you quickly go thru all the pics posted in this thread and you should find what you need.
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
torchy
the info you seek is in this thread and the other HTG L39 thread, easily found with the search tools. might be faster to goto the "thread tools" drop down and select show all attachments in this thread, this will let you quickly go thru all the pics posted in this thread and you should find what you need.
Thanks jcdfrd! i did go through all of them including the other thread. I am just interested in the dowels 4stripes used. I also want to see some other options for control surface hinges used other than the factory tape and robart hinge.

I normally go to the pics on thread tools before reading then read along..
Appreciate the advise

Torchy
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:18 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
ok good deal, and thanks for doing that

nothing easier than a robart hinge thats what I used for all my control surfaces. if your going to do a 6s setup you could just replace the tape with better tape like 3M Blenderm tape. it is much stronger than the tape they are using
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
342 Posts
Guys,
I need your opinions on using polyurethane... I am still debating if i should coat this bird or not. I got the ACE hardware polyurethane semi gloss though i have never used this before. On the other hand, i have glass cloth from HK that i wanted to use for strengthening the fuse... Obviously! i hate dings and dents as much as anyone else, but i also hate to complicate my build.
Should i use the polyurethane and ditch the fibreglass inside the fuse? will brushing it on be good enough? i am worried about tinting, especially since i want to keep the US airforce theme.
140+ guys at the field and only 2 guys fly edf's (RTF) so in short i am on my own and all i have is this thread.

Thanks guys!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:56 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,883 Posts
Dents and dings happen but if you are careful (more careful than you might be normally) these foamies can look good for years. Small creases and dents can be spot filled and painted should they happen over time. Always try and harden any possible parts that may scrape the asphalt. Epoxy, wire, metal strips (like those used in windshield wipers) make good skid plates and will keep the plane together after a less than perfect landing.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
Thanks! will wait for your pics
Here you can see half of the dowel that strengthens the nose section. There is another on the right side. Can't get a shot of the foam wedge as it is between the two intakes filling the opening from top to bottom fairing to a point a few inches behind the intakes.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:43 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
hey 4stripes
what cockpit and pilots did you use, they look pretty good
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:07 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,883 Posts
The first post on my thread shows the pieces that were used in the cockpit.
http://m.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404844

My father is the artist who did these fine details. A nice cockpit can turn a plain foamy into something special!

The cockpit started as a parkflyerplastics upgrade, but was cut up and reworked to reflect the true L39 panel and seats. The heads of the pilots were modified with new helmets and visors to match the type used in the East German aircraft. I'm sure more hours were spent on the cockpit than building the rest of the model!
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:13 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
ya ok I thought that might be the Parkflyerplastics cockpit.........yep a lot of work
looks awesome!!!!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:49 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,230 Posts
Anybody noticed how flimsy the flight controls are when separated from the tape hinges? I decided to remove about a half inch from the leading edge and laminate 1/6" balsa to the surfaces. Removing 1/2" from the leading edge would duplicate the original thickness.with the laminates.
The wings are epoxy resined with 2oz cloth and reinforced with 1/8" x 3/8" x 32" carbon strips. Wings are super stiff. Fuselage is coated with .75oz cloth and a 1 to 1 mixture of wood glue and water. This is allot of work and wonder if I should have taken the liquid skin rout on the fuselage.
Going with a midi fan with a Arc 36-75-1 (1680KV) on 8 - 10 cells. What is the recommended servos? Will need ailerons, flaps, elevators, and rudder.
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Last edited by p901P901; Nov 25, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Aug 2011
342 Posts
P901.
Can you pls post a pic. Sounds interesting. ..
Thanks
Torchy
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:50 AM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
I went with HS82MG all around. Reasonably priced, strong, and fit with minimum mods.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon