HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:00 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,251 Posts
Cool
HobbyTopGun L-39 by EJF.com

They are here!!!
Just got the new L-39's in from Hobby Top Gun.

First reactions... the thing is HUGE!!! Definitely a candidate for a super-powerful 90mm setup, electric retracts, gear doors, the works. The EPO is definitely a nice touch.
Not sure if you lucky guys are getting these first or not, but I plan on decking mine out right and of course a sweet paint scheme... just might have to wait for the next shipment for my build thread

Robert's rifling through it, and we're gonna get a good look at her, but I thought I'd post some nice teaser pics for you all...

http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=873

Cheers,
Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Last edited by AceMigKiller; Apr 29, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:06 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
hmmmm....

EJF Price: $199.99 + $16.50 Shipping = $215.50

Airshow RC: $184.99 + $45.00 = $229.99

Are the pics a prototype? Does it come painted with any decals? Does EJF actually have them in hand or are they drop-shipping?

Also, what is the difference between EPS & EPO? Is the EPO really flexible while the EPS is your standard Expanded Polystyrene beer cooler?
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:21 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,723 Posts
Vic...please do the build with electric retracts..ones that are sturdy enough to do the job.
-at least a 2kw set up on 8s.
Thanks,
-Dave..always enjoy your builds!!
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:32 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
I just got a set of the EPF Hobby retracts that are going into a FlyFly F-86. They are all metal internally with a plastic case. They have a new "Titanium" version with metal sides on the case but I don't see them available anywhere yet.

http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan..._Code=DSR-MAIN

The thing that really bugs me is that they put the screw holes so close to the body of the unit. I wish it was a little more beefy in this regard.

I have a set of the Lado's for another plane that are all CNC'd metal. They are beautiful units and are suprisingly light.
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:35 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmrast View Post
Also, what is the difference between EPS & EPO? Is the EPO really flexible while the EPS is your standard Expanded Polystyrene beer cooler?
EPO - Strapping tape EZ crashed from 200 ft twice and rough treated buncha times flys still and true after hot glue

EPS - CF reinforced F14 will show hanger rash if I look at it wrong.

All foamies should be EPO
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:13 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmrast View Post
Are the pics a prototype? Does it come painted with any decals? Does EJF actually have them in hand or are they drop-shipping?

- Ehr77 is right, EPS is your cheapy *FAVORITE COLD BEVERAGE* cooler-type foam.
EPO is closer to the stuff that Multiplex makes their models out of... AKA very good foam. You can rattle can it, regular CA it, etc.
Although there is an EPS option... I would only recommend it if you were planning on glassing the thing. It's a BIG hunk of foam!

- We did receive some. These pics were taken in the showroom in Tucson, AZ... if you look closely, you can see my old RCL Panther But these are slated for the new *Custom Paint Scheme* option, available soon... oops... did I let the cat out of the bag?!?!
Otherwise, stock choices will be Plain White (per the pictures) or the published Green Camo (as seen on the website page).

- We will be receiving more, but unfortunately the ones In-Store are already spoken for... If you place an order, there's a chance you might get drop-shipped.

Regards,
Vic
Last edited by AceMigKiller; Apr 29, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:18 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Vic...please do the build with electric retracts..ones that are sturdy enough to do the job.
-at least a 2kw set up on 8s.
Thanks,
-Dave..always enjoy your builds!!
Dave,
Thanks for the compliment buddy! I will definitely do this bird justice...
I promise for AT LEAST 2kw!!! And some good electric retracts (possibly the new, bigger E-flites). Turns out I don't get one this round... need to take care of all you guys with orders first! But we'll be getting some more in soon. And did I mention: NO CHEATER HOLE?!?!

Vic
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:37 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,909 Posts
I was thinkin the RCLander 90mm 6s setup would be a decent option for this bird.

AUW is listed in the 5 - 5.5lb range with gear.

RCLander 90mm makes right about 6lbs of thrust on high timing and about 1800W IIRC
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,971 Posts
Making me feel Blue

Well, all I can tell you, seeing this thread is just making me feel Blue. But I can tell you that the Wing and horizontal stab have aluminunum or metal spars that go all the through and will not need anykind of beefing up. It does have a Hole, but I would call it a battery cooling hole rather than the a cheater hole. I bet I can close it up. The intakes are large enough.

Turbulence
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Last edited by CRCJA; Apr 29, 2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 03:46 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,971 Posts
Yep, Still feeling Blue

First, I like to Say thanks to Ricky for continuing to make great jets and as Usual to EJF because I seem to always get the First plane from Fly-Fly and now Hobby TopGun. It's late so for now just a couple of Pictures, As usual, I cut out the rudder and mounted the servo in the Vertical stab. Since The factory pilot (don't know who that is) seems to always use 8gram servos, I am using some tiny ones on thos L-39, the Control surfaces are small and of course light.

The Build begins, enjoy.
Last edited by CRCJA; Apr 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:14 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,971 Posts
Cooling

Let's put and end to the Big Question. YES there is a hole at the bottom of the plane. Is it a cheater hole? in my mind, by no means, I can only assume it's a battery and ESC cooling since the intakes are large enough. I have no doubt you can close this up and I will, first I'll fly it with it open and then Close it up and give you a report.

The kit the I was allowed to pick up that was not spoken for, was the PRE-PRODUCTION plane so I was told mine had the flashing in the wings and other parts that I would have to sand out myself, hey no problem, that's what I get for wanting to be the first to have this plane

I started in the tail. The elevators are still part of the stab and just needed to use an exacto knife to make to cuts to make them move freely. I was not going to cut the elevator all the way to the end of the stab. I cut them in the scale location leaving the Tip of the stab stationary. Since mine had the elevator gap all the way through, I filled it in with some of the EPO I cut off to trim the flashing of the molds. Cut the rudder out and Hinged it.

Turbulence
Last edited by CRCJA; Apr 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
Hey CRCJA does the "Battery cooling hole" go through to the fan intake? By the way thanks for getting some pics up, the suspense was killing me.
rickbones is offline Find More Posts by rickbones
Old Apr 30, 2010, 04:51 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,971 Posts
Yes

Yes it does, but in the F-100 and the MB339 also made by Ricky, those holes close to the fan, on this airplane it's in the nose and the fan is behind the wing halfway to the tail.

Anyone have a Blue Angels decals? I gave my to CN and now I need some for this plane.

Turbulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbones View Post
Hey CRCJA does the "Battery cooling hole" go through to the fan intake? By the way thanks for getting some pics up, the suspense was killing me.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:05 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,762 Posts
ooooooh snap! baby dont be so mean!

ill have to hold out for the T-33....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:49 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,251 Posts
STEP ONE:
Brent gets the Big, New, T-33 from RCLander.

STEP TWO:
A bunch of us get L-39's and soup'em up.

STEP THREE:
Brent uses said T-33 as Pace Plane, peels off, and the L-39's start a crazy-awesome race around the pylons like in Reno.

Just a thought...

Vic