HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:42 AM
Joined Dec 2005
693 Posts
Gallery
My Wowplanes B26 seconds before it crashed.

Hello fellow flyers,
I took my B26 for it's maiden flight yesterday,I applied full power and it lifted off pretty quickly but started to bank to the left I countered with opposite aileron but it just continued banking which tightened, within seconds it hit the ground. I have savalaged all the electronics,motors etc which are fine,the airframe is a right off. I should add the ailerons weren't reversed and worked in the correct sense-look at the photo I had full right bank applied trying level her,absolutely no response. I was thinking maybe the torque of the motors which rotated in the same direction took it over,or the thrust line of the motors wasn't correct ? Maybe one wing was producing more lift-I don't know.
I think I will build another as I know how to build her,but need a little advice.in my next build I will have contra rotating props maybe it will help-I was so surprised that the ailerons had no effect to counter the turn.
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
Last edited by redtail; Apr 29, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:38 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,216 Posts
Oh man, that is heartbreaking. That was a very good looking bird. Uncontrollable roll is more than just torque effects, you had to have power assymetry. I can see that the port engine is turning but were the two motors pulling the same rpm? I think I would be inclined to thoroughly bench test your power system before #2 takes to the air.

Condolences,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:41 AM
Joined Dec 2005
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Oh man, that is heartbreaking. That was a very good looking bird. Uncontrollable roll is more than just torque effects, you had to have power assymetry. I can see that the port engine is turning but were the two motors pulling the same rpm? I think I would be inclined to thoroughly bench test your power system before #2 takes to the air.

Condolences,
Jeff
Thanks Jeff,
Just realised I posted my thred in the wrong section - should have been in electric war birds. Must confess I didn't check the rpm on both motors so you might be right. I spoke to my local model shop he suggested it might be a wing warp problem.
Cheers Jeff
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
Joined Aug 2003
575 Posts
hi,is that rudder wired straight in case you wanted to add a servo later ?
if it jumped off ground before it was ready to fly ,stomping that rudder may have saved it .even if it was a power problem ,rudder may have been able to keep it under control
later
mike
mdugas is online now Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:17 PM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
435 Posts
sorry to see that. Better luck next time.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:28 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,640 Posts
My guess is lack of speed caused the crash, the plane may stalled the left aileron and cause adverse roll effect.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:48 PM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
940 Posts
I used to work with a guy who was a Marauder pilot in WWII. It was difficult to tame....but excellent once both plane and pilot understood each other. I have to agree that it appears to have been forced off the ground before enough airspeed was gained. Differential ailerons and rudder might have saved it.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:34 AM
Joined Dec 2005
693 Posts
Just like to thank you guys for your input to the cause of my crash,I know we have all been in there replaying the demise of aircraft which have crashed. I have a new B26 kit from Wowplanes which I will put together in the next few months,think it won't take too long to build as I know the construction process. I have have just put together a GWS Hercules in Delta Airlines colours,flown her about 4 times now-will post some in flight photo's when I get time.
Thanks again.