HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:43 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
I knew the Airfield line was made by FMS I just never saw the P-40 (Reg or Super Scale with Flaps or the T-28 with Cowl flaps on the RCC or PW-RC sites.

Edit:
I just checked RC Castle and PW-RC again. Where are the P-40s with Flaps and the T-28s with Cowl Flaps?

No photos or mention with these features?
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Last edited by MERLIN V16; Dec 13, 2011 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:56 AM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy View Post
Let's see if the logic holds. Airfield...FMS...Airfield....FMS.... Not spelled the same but all produced in FMS factory.
I have known that for a long time now. I can tell you the Durafly Spit was not an FMS product and as far as I can tell the 1100mm Durafly new additions are not FMS either. We will see for sure when FMS finally releases their new 1100's.
Strongbow is offline Find More Posts by Strongbow
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:30 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
LOL Strongbow

Merl, you are right, the cowl flaps and P40-flaps are not mentioned, but the models have them.
There never was a Trojan made by FMS that didn't have those cowl flaps. You can see them on every pic there is of those Trojans...
As for the P40, the first version came without flaps. The V2 then had a new prop and flaps installed.

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:55 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
I knew the Airfield line was made by FMS I just never saw the P-40 (Reg or Super Scale with Flaps or the T-28 with Cowl flaps on the RCC or PW-RC sites.

Edit:
I just checked RC Castle and PW-RC again. Where are the P-40s with Flaps and the T-28s with Cowl Flaps?

No photos or mention with these features?
In every picture of the Grey navy plane you can see the cowl flaps.

Both sites use the stock photos so unless FMS provided them with pictures of the flaps open, they probably don't have pictures that show them in the open position. There is no specific mention of them as they probably consider them part of the flap system. I know of at least 2 other FMS T28s on my field and both were purchased from either PW or RC and both have cowl flaps installed and operational. RC lists 11 9g servos and 1 17g. I think the servo count is indicative of the plane having cowl flaps.

As for the P40..direct from the PW site.

Shows Flaps but not installed in the picture. Servo count is 9g X5 17gX2. I'm guessing the gear doors are mechanically linked to the retract somehow.
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Last edited by vhuang168; Dec 13, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2011
533 Posts
I didn't look at the RC site before for the P40 but I just did and here is the link to the plane with flaps mentioned specifically, in the title no less.

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1900
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Ahh! The planes on the Nitro planes site have Cowl Flaps open and Flaps cut in and operational from "the factory"! Sorry but i feel the planes that are ordered by Nitro have slightly different specs than available from other vendors. No mention there about cuting your own.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:38 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,656 Posts
ok just see today at the club a nitro airfield either rtf or arf t-28 grey with working cowl flap nice plane very nice. didn't get to see it fly to much snow on the ground

this one
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a328-14...ilver-arf.html
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Ahh! The planes on the Nitro planes site have Cowl Flaps open and Flaps cut in and operational from "the factory"! Sorry but i feel the planes that are ordered by Nitro have slightly different specs than available from other vendors. No mention there about cuting your own.
You don't have to cut your own. Again, 2 other T28s purchased from either PW or RC other then my own have operational cowl flaps INSTALLED and OPERATIONAL.

The P40 will also have the flaps installed, as mentioned on the RC website.

Quote from the RC P40 page-
"The FMS P-40 New PNP Version Comes Out Of The Box Is 90% Finished, With Full Servos , Outrunner Brushless Motor , Brushless ESC , 90 Degree Electric Servoless Retract Landing Gear , Flap System Installed. Just Need To Add Your Own Receiver & Battery Only !"

As far as I can tell from personal and other's experiance, Nitroplanes's Airfield brand adds NOTHING as compared to similar FMS birds offered by other vendors.

The only advantage to me is lower shipping costs since it comes to me from a few hunderd miles away instead of a few thousand. There isn't much time saved actually because it takes 3 days for NP to get something to me via UPS vs 5 days from Hong Kong via EMS.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:04 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,143 Posts
Aviation Lesson 2 :

COWL flaps are the flaps in the engine cowl which make sure there is proper airflow around the engine, partly to cool it and to cool the cooling fluid reservoir.

WING flaps increase lift during take-off and landing.

I stand corrected on the cowl flaps on these models.... good news that they do work.

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Last edited by kusunokimasahige; Dec 13, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
Aviation Lesson 2 :

COWL flaps are the flaps in the engine cowl which make sure there is proper airflow around the engine, partly to cool it and to cool the cooling fluid reservoir.

You are mentioning WING flaps, which increase lift during take-off and landing.

The COWL flaps on neither model of FMS are operational.

KM
Thanks for the lesson.
Save it for someone who needs it!
You may want to check out NITROPLANES site to see what is available!

My point is the T-28 My friend Fred just ordered from NITROPLANES has servo operated COWL Flaps. I have not seen them available from any other vendor.
My Friend Jay bought a Super Scale P-40 from NITROPLANES it comes with not only factory installed LANDING FLAPs it has a different finish than anything I have seen on any other site.
My point is the biggest (and only) place to buy then in the USA seems to have some say in what they order.
MERLIN
PS
Papabatman
They don't read.
Last edited by MERLIN V16; Dec 13, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
Aviation Lesson 2 :

The COWL flaps on neither model of FMS are operational.

KM
Here is a picture of the cowl flaps on the FMS/Airfield T-28.

So are these correctly named?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:19 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Here is a picture of the cowl flaps on the FMS/Airfield T-28.

So are these correctly named?
Thanks for the photo from NITROPLANES showing the Cowl COOLING FLAPS I have been talking about.
MERLIN
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the lesson.

My point is the T-28 My friend Fred just ordered from NITROPLANES has servo operated COWL Flaps. I have not seen them available from any other vendor.
See my post. I'm very sure that if PW or RC T-28s didn't have operational cowl flaps, there will be a big hoo haa on the FMS T-28 thread.
Quote:
My Friend Jay bought a Super Scale P-40 from NITROPLANES it comes with not only factory installed LANDING FLAPs it has a different finish than anything I have seen on any other site.
My point is the biggest (and only) place to buy then in the USA seems to have some say in what they order.
MERLIN
When you say different finish, do you mean color? Both colors are available from PW and RC. Or do you mean the actual finish (more matt or glossy etc?)

Everytime Tony says only NP has it, chances are he means only NP has it in the US or at least that what I choose to read it as since other vendors carrying the original labeled item has it too and because NP is the sole FMS importer.

Vincent

Edit: RC is out of the dark green color but PW still have both.
Last edited by vhuang168; Dec 13, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
If you want i will post all the links to these planes but I think folks if interested at all can just go look for themselves.
or I can just show the super scale link here. Not the every day Green but a different P-40
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a40-140...-arf-flap.html
Or the T-28
Super Scale with COWL FLAPS and LANDING FLAPS!They are different ya know!
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a328-14...d-red-arf.html
Last edited by MERLIN V16; Dec 13, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:01 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
[QUOTE=MERLIN V16;20131559]Thanks for the lesson.

LOL!

Thanks, Merlin I needed a chuckle!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW