HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Old Jun 07, 2003, 03:00 AM
Normen Strobel
n/a Posts
Saito 100

I ran a gallon of fuel through my Saito 100, the first three tanks on the ground the rest while flying. It still has trouble idling, it shakes and vibrates ferociously, but runs well at high RPM. What I am having trouble figuring out, is during level flight if I have the throttle at about 25% the RPM will occassionlly surge. I can't think of what could be causing this. The needle valve is at about 2 turns out. I'm not sure if I should lean it out any more. It had an 11oz tank in it, which only gave it about a 5 minute flight, so I put in a 14oz tank and I will see if that changes anything today.

--
Normen Strobel
nstrobel@email.uophx.edu
Ed Cregger
n/a Posts
Re: Saito 100

One possible cause for a surging engine is vibration getting to the radio and causing the throttle servo to flail about on occasion.

Another is my old standby, fuel foaming.

Ed Cregger

"Normen Strobel" <nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote in message news:3ee0e014$1_6@corp.newsgroups.com...
I ran a gallon of fuel through my Saito 100, the first three tanks on the ground the rest while flying. It still has trouble idling, it shakes and vibrates ferociously, but runs well at high RPM. What I am having trouble figuring out, is during level flight if I have the throttle at about 25% the RPM will occassionlly surge. I can't think of what could be causing this. The needle valve is at about 2 turns out. I'm not sure if I should lean it out any more. It had an 11oz tank in it, which only gave it about a 5 minute flight, so I put in a 14oz tank and I will see if that changes anything today.

--
Normen Strobel
nstrobel@email.uophx.edu
Six_O'Clock_High
n/a Posts

Probably ought to lean out the low end Norm. Watch the smoke and lean it out until at idle you just get an occasional puff of smoke. Then retune the top end. There is someone here who knows a better way to get the low end done right, but they were offensive enough that I forgot the idea. Oh well. . . . .

Jim Branaum
AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High
Target_Lock@Guns.com

"Normen Strobel" <nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote in message news:3ee0e014$1_6@corp.newsgroups.com...

--
Normen Strobel
nstrobel@email.uophx.edu
Maarten
n/a Posts

Check the innerdiam. of the fual lines . Saito's are sensitive for that.
had the same type of trouble as you described. changed to a different brand of fuel lines and that helped.

--
Normen Strobel
nstrobel@email.uophx.edu

Normen Strobel
n/a Posts

I changed out the fuel tank for the larger size and re-arranged the foam padding at the same time. I also switched to an APC prop instead of the Master Air Screw I initially had on it. It flew better today, I didn't notice the surging. I got a lot less vibrations, so maybe it was the foaming or the engine vibrating the thottle linkage.

I lost one of my wheels in flight, I thought one of the wheel collars came loose. But when I landed I realized the axel vibrated out of the bolt. The bolt was still attached to the landing gear. The wheel, collar, and axel are somewhere in the bean field. Probably sitting next to my Higleys prop not my engine threw out there when it backfired.

--
Normen Strobel
nstrobel@email.uophx.edu
"Ed Cregger" <ecregger@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1E5Ea.37219$Io.3248227@newsread2.prod.itd.ear thlink.net...
One possible cause for a surging engine is vibration getting to the radio and causing the throttle servo to flail about on occasion.

Another is my old standby, fuel foaming.

Ed Cregger

--
Normen Strobel
nstrobel@email.uophx.edu
Old Jun 08, 2003, 03:00 AM
WINZER
n/a Posts

I have one also. It runs great on 30% Heli fuel and a balanced prop.

--
Normen Strobel
nstrobel@email.uophx.edu
Old Jun 10, 2003, 03:00 AM
emcook@yahoo.com
n/a Posts

I have a Saito .56 that idled very rough when new. I leaned the
low-end and it fixed the problem.

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:35:12 -0400, "Normen Strobel"
<nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote:

>I ran a gallon of fuel through my Saito 100, the first three tanks on the ground the rest while flying. It still has trouble idling, it shakes and vibrates ferociously, but runs well at high RPM. What I am having trouble figuring out, is during level fl

ight if I have the throttle at about 25% the RPM will occassionlly surge. I can't think of what could be causing this. The needle valve is at about 2 turns out. I'm not sure if I should lean it out any more. It had an 11oz tank in it, which only gave i
t about a 5 minute flight, so I put in a 14oz tank and I will see if that changes anything today.

Old Jun 11, 2003, 03:00 AM
Maarten
n/a Posts

5% Nitro is more the enough for the Saito's. 18% Syn. Oil.
For YS I would take the 30% fuel.
I have a .56 an .91. Both idle at about 1600 rpm.
My Waether conditions: -5 till +30 degrees Celcius.
You save quite a bit using the 5% in stead of the 30%.
re
Maarten

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"WINZER" <vincer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:UksEa.191031$e a bit ja4.10185581@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
I have one also. It runs great on 30% Heli fuel and a balanced prop.

--
Normen Strobel
nstrobel@email.uophx.edu