SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by c0dem0nkey, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:01 PM
I want it to go fast...
San Diego
Joined Sep 2006
797 Posts
Cool
Toothpick Shrike and Rotor Maiden (twisty wing awesomeness)

The toothpick wings were pretty cool...I had never flown them. I don't have a strong opinion of them mostly because I didn't fly them for more than 15 minutes..I wanted to get the rotor in the air.

The rotor maiden went well. The wind was blowing pretty good but you would have never guessed it by the throw out. The plane sank and sank to the point I thought I was about to take a walk down the hill. Some how it picked up speed and gained all the lost altitude back.

It felt mushy though at slow or medium speed...there was a few times I got it going really well and the energy retention was AWESOME! But then I guess I must have been stalling it and it would get all mushy and was boating around.

I'm not sure if I have a CG issue or just a weight to lift issue. It was fun flying but it felt like it was flying tail heavy or mushy...suggestions?

I bought the rotor off sleddriver...here is the build
http://www.slopeflyer.com/artman/publish/Rotor_1.shtml

*************UPDATE******************
I took the Rotor out for a second flight...removed some weight in the nose. It was hands down the best best best day of sloping I have ever had. 45 minutes of straight high energy maneuvers..like there was a rocket pushing the thing. Words cannot do what I witnessed justice..so lets leave it at....GET ONE OF THESE PLANES! YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY AND WILL BE A CHANGED SLOPER.
c0dem0nkey is offline Find More Posts by c0dem0nkey
Last edited by c0dem0nkey; May 27, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:09 PM
Wind Happens
So California
Joined Feb 2009
88 Posts
rotors like big air, it looks like you were at hodges? they feel mushy and tail heavy in marginal conditions. the fuse for the rotor you have was produced from molds i made almost 20-yrs ago. Jay got them by way of joemach1. i couldnt find a real rotor kit to save my life back then and i carved my own plug from a 3-view. ive since had my hands on the genuine artlcle and me thinks your version is rounder/curvier (prettier?). good luck with her - you've got a nice collection of TW planes goin'
bigslopegrin is offline Find More Posts by bigslopegrin
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:20 PM
I want it to go fast...
San Diego
Joined Sep 2006
797 Posts
Great job on the molds...I would love to get my hands on them one day.

The location was hodges..it was blowing a solid 15 yesterday. Maybe today it will be a bit harder and she can come alive. I was going to try and move the cg back some and see if that helps.

Snipe and Spyder are up next...then I'll be on the hunt for another.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:23 PM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,272 Posts
Spyder...

Where did you get that?

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:33 PM
I want it to go fast...
San Diego
Joined Sep 2006
797 Posts
Winchdoc...get a kestral out him and I'll trade you.