HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
Napoleon IV - Pylon racers

Hi Napoleon,
I was Peter Burnage's "mechanic" at one racing event - about 1970 (?). That was ot a good day for either of us - he had a borrowed airplane as his was in "the motor shop", and had fuel problems with the borrowed aircraft. I, being from the US (I worked with Peter at M/A-Com Ltd. in Dunstable), discovered Scrumpy (blame Peter's wife! - she packed our lunch!).
Is he still amongst the living?? If you have his e-mail, please send him a message and tell him I assign him full blame for my model airplane expenses.
Cheers, Will
Wcollier2007 is offline Find More Posts by Wcollier2007
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:33 AM
Emperor of Speed!
West Country UK
Joined Jul 2006
189 Posts
Just a few more from Modesto that year. The first photo shows Darrol and Rhonda Cady. Darrol had a good meeting in exalted company and finished 9th I think. Is that Dave Shadel on the left? Second photo shows the ready box at Modesto prior to going out to the line. Third shot is another of Gary Hover's Loki with the Samurai Racing Team pits in the background. Fourth photo is of Andrew McIndoe with his Don Rice designed Stinger. His back up aircraft after the X40 in his 'Toni broke a crankshaft. Look at the really nice Mustang notchback in the background. Pictures by John Headley.
Napoleon IV is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon IV
Last edited by Napoleon IV; Jan 12, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
716 Posts
No that is Henry Bartle standing to the Cadys left. I think that is Dave carrying the ice chest in the background. (on the left) I was at that race I wish in those days I would have thought about taking pictures but the phrase young and dumb comes to mind.

D.E.
D.English is offline Find More Posts by D.English
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:27 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,141 Posts
Wow, what a thread. The pictures from Arlington and Canada, and Whidby bring back memories. At one event near the 4th of July, in the middle of the night, I was in my camper next to Don and Bea and was awaken by Don climbing up on the roof of his motorhome to retrieve fireworks out of the rain, and he was butt naked !! Thanks for bringing THAT back to my mind. I really miss Don. I did not fly, but was in the cages for almost 20 years, calling cuts. I lived right next to the Arlington airport and was responsable for the "PROPS" group getting the airport for their 20 year run. I still have the letter from Don Connell introducing the group to the airport staff. I have video of the NW guys around '88-89 and plug it in once in a while. If you ever attend the EAA fly-in at Arlington, look in your rear view mirror when you turn off the road into the woods to park, and my house will be in your mirror.

Neil
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:51 PM
Emperor of Speed!
West Country UK
Joined Jul 2006
189 Posts
These are some more photos of the '92 NMPRA Championships held at the Crows Landing NAS in California. The quality is very poor because I scanned them from a magazine article I wrote at the time. The originals are long lost and I may never have received them back from the magazine. Pictures were by John Headley
Last edited by Napoleon IV; Jan 12, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:58 PM
I still like to build
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Great Thread

Never saw this thread before. I raced in the early 70s with Bob Smith, Kent Nogy, Dan McCann, Larry Leonard and Jeff Bertken from PB products. We raced the short and long wing Miss Daras. Bob was the first guy to break the 1:30 barrier and Terry Prather was the first to get into the teens. Bakersfield was the big event every year and several times the race drew over 100 entries including guys from back East, Mexico and even Japan. Still have at least one of the original batch of Lee Custom schneurle port K&B .40s in the garage somewhere.....
toyotadude is offline Find More Posts by toyotadude
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:31 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
K&B .40S Pylon race engines

Some pictures of the K&B .40S engines tuned/customised by Mr.Clarence F. Lee
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:43 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
K&B .40'R' Lee Custom

The K&B .40'R' C.F.Lee Custom
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:24 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
412 Posts
I'll have to dig out my Lee Custom K&B's, it's been a while since I've looked at them. Time to make sure they're still oiled and safe & sound..
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:14 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1 Posts
Great old time Pylon Racing i,m still racing on off 30 years on and only 37 years old and was solo around 7years old.started racing around 12 saw my first wc in victoria aus point cook airbase i was on the gate and stay on airbase over 2 nights. Can anyone post a pic of the American f1 model they had star and strip paint on the exhaust.

FRENCHMAN Aus
frenchman Aus is offline Find More Posts by frenchman Aus
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:54 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,303 Posts
Anyone know the what and where on Tommy Christopher? He was the first guy to show me CA glue, Hot Stuffed a 1/4 Midget (you know, warbirds with 15's) back together at Mile Square. I ended up flying Flight Engineer for him on the L-1011 at TWA. Lost touch a long time ago.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:51 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
Some pictures from the late sixties & early seventies:
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:09 PM
Emperor of Speed!
West Country UK
Joined Jul 2006
189 Posts
These look more like control line speed models than RC pylon racers so possibly should be in a different section. Interesting though.
Last edited by Napoleon IV; Mar 10, 2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Builder of flying things
United States, TX, Blackwell
Joined Dec 2010
130 Posts
Great thread!

Hey did any of you guys attend the 1985 NMPRA championship race? It was at the Gainesville TX municipal airport. I was the airport manager at that time and spent many days getting the airport prepped for these guys. I also arranged for the winner to get a ride in a P-51. I believe that was Dub Jett if my memory serves me right. I believe that Phil Bussell was the president at that time. I was a control line speed guy then and Phil loaned me a K&B 40 the I used in my formula 40 entry in the 86 nats in Lake Charles LA. Made one flight and took 4th.

Anyway, just was wondering if anyone posting here made it to Gainesville in
'85.

Jim
fyrechaser is online now Find More Posts by fyrechaser
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Electric Flight