SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2001, 04:31 PM
Madison Ms. USA
Joined Jan 2000
614 Posts
Need Some PC Help

I've been having problems with web pages loading very slow of late, especially ezone so I ask around and was told to buy more Ram.
Mind you, the person that told me this might not know much more that I (which is little) about PC's.
My pc had 128mb of ram and I bought an upgrade of an additional 256 for a total of 384Mb.
Got it installed and the system says I now have 384 Mb of Ram but the system performance is still at 62%, same as it was before I added the 256Mb.
I've done the entire deleting temp. files and cleaning up but don't know what else to do.
I was about to take it in to a repair place but I'm not sure about them either. When I question them on something they seem very vague with answers.
Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sligh is offline Find More Posts by Sligh
Old Sep 27, 2001, 04:36 PM
Master Nursery Builder
Canton, GA
Joined Jan 2001
297 Posts
If the only slowdown you notice is when you surf the web, it could be your service provider or your internet connection.

If the machine is acting chunky in general, then try defragging the hard drive. If you've never done it before, it should make a difference.

-O Geoffrey
The_Giver is offline Find More Posts by The_Giver
Old Sep 27, 2001, 04:44 PM
Madison Ms. USA
Joined Jan 2000
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Giver
If the only slowdown you notice is when you surf the web, it could be your service provider or your internet connection.
Thanks much but I should have added that I had the ISP check it out.I'm on a cable modem and it's OK

If the machine is acting chunky in general, then try defragging the hard drive. If you've never done it before, it should make a difference.
Done that as well, didn't help but thanks for the reply.
Do you know if I'm correct in thinking the performance % should have gone way up with the added Ram?

-O Geoffrey
Thanks,
Old Sep 27, 2001, 05:56 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
What OS? What browser? What type of connection? If you are on modem, see if your ISP has a different number, see if connecting at different times of the day makes a difference, see if other pages are typically faster than the ezone or if all seem to be slow. Win98 and up, Click on the little monitors on the task bar to see what speed you are connected at.

Have you installed any new software/hardware prior to the slowdown?

It could be as simple as you are connecting at high traffic times and it could be an indication that you need to save, 86 the HD and reinstall your OS.

Sometimes windows just decides it has had enough of functioning as desired.

Maybe try running the diagnostic programs and see what it tells you. start>programs>accessories>system tools

Do you ever get any error messages or other info?
NewbieX is online now Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Sep 28, 2001, 12:40 AM
Grand Prairie, Texas, USA
Joined Mar 2000
829 Posts
If you're running MS Win ME - trash it and go back to Win 98 or up to Win 2000 Pro. I did (2000) and never looked back. 1000% better.
Philipp is offline Find More Posts by Philipp
Old Sep 28, 2001, 08:14 AM
Madison Ms. USA
Joined Jan 2000
614 Posts
Thanks For The Help

Thanks much for the help.
As I suspected, I don't know what I'm doing so I'm going to take it to a tech before I cause more trouble.
I bought $50.00 worth of books and still can't solve the problem.
Old Sep 28, 2001, 09:13 AM
p471701
n/a Posts
sligh:62% is pretty low.you have plenty of ram.it sounds like you have too many apps running in the background. how many icons are showing in your system tray(lower rt where the clock is)?
thats pretty easy to remedy.
1. do a disk clean up
2. do a scan disk
3. do a defrag
that should do it.................gregg
Old Sep 28, 2001, 01:49 PM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
also go into performace screen and reserve yourself some virtual memory ususally double of physical ram
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old Sep 29, 2001, 10:55 AM
Madison Ms. USA
Joined Jan 2000
614 Posts
Thanks

Thanks to all who posted.
I had tried all the normal stuff.
Took it to the shop yesterday and after $70.00 it's really screwed up now. Goes back on Mon.
Old Oct 01, 2001, 11:10 AM
United States, MI, Lapeer
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
Whatever you do DONT take it to best buy! I use to work there, quit cuz I hated being forced to lie to sell things.. hehe. And they charge way to much just to think about yer pc. It would be like some one charging 50$ to say, that ESC draws too much amps... and then they say we can sell u a bigger one for 100%....

Any way... and resources are more then just ram... its the processor HD space etc... that % might be including processor useage.. what is the speed of the pc? (I probly missed it in all the posts above). mhz? 200-1000? I hope

What version of IE?

Try closing some of the misc. programs that you dont realy use that are on the pc... (things that apear down by the time in the corner). Most computers come so loaded with junk programs that they eat everythign away, then why you trie to run IE or NS, all the resources are taken up..

If your pc is newer, then probly plenty of HD space free, but how much do you have?

If its older, thats probly just the speed your gona have to put up with.... expecialy if your running IE 5 or 6 on an old pc...
Draconious is offline Find More Posts by Draconious
Old Oct 02, 2001, 08:27 AM
Madison Ms. USA
Joined Jan 2000
614 Posts
Thanks again for the heads-up.
I've got it doing a little better for now anyway.