SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Discussion
Holy cow! I won a plane!

I saw the ad running on this site here for quite awhile for that ducted fan F-18, so I thought what the heck, and I entered it. By and by I kinda forgot about it and was busy and in and outta town for awhile and I log in here yesterday and check and I won!

Apparently it's a 3 foot long F-18 Hornet, foam body and electric ducted fan motor on it. The company that donated it for the contest said it was real fast! I'm on cloud nine, and just thought I'd share my good fortune with you all.

Hell maybe I'm still lucky....Quick! Mess up my hair or something! lol
Forever_Noob is offline Find More Posts by Forever_Noob
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:14 PM
USA, NC, Ayden
Joined Aug 2008
512 Posts
Hey Congrats and good luck flying it
thannamhbfp is offline Find More Posts by thannamhbfp
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:40 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Hokey smokes! That's a big one. Congrats mate and let us know how it goes. You planked before? Just remember not to hover it.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever_Noob View Post
Holy cow! I won a plane
Heck yeah you did... like two weeks ago

I hope you can get some video... please post it here if you can!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:41 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,375 Posts
VERY COOL

Be sure to fly the UDF jets on a sim and be at a BIG field for your maiden flight, those things are super fast.......
ewoodcox is online now Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I would recommend a club field and experienced pilot maiden that bird for you. You will find they are a lot cheaper to repair than helis. 5 minute epoxy and foam-safe CA will fix most crashes. My ArtTech Pitts bipe was 50% epoxy. I'm one of the few people who switched to helis because I sucked at flying planes.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Apr 29, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Thanks guys! I was SHOCKED!!!

I'm kinda nervous about the whole fixed wing thing anyways, but I didn't realize how big that sucker was until I actually won it. WOW. I think the idea of both a sim and letting an experienced pilot to maiden it are VERY STRONG ideas, guys. I'm not sure when I'll even assemble it as of yet, but it may be here tomorrow (Friday).

Do you think it would be safe enough for me to atleast assemble the bird myself? I'm pondering that and maybe firing it up just to hear the motor spool up a bit...that might motivate me to pursue an expert quicker. I REALLY REALLY want a bigger outdoor heli, but this intrigues me as well, and since I can't afford another heli at this time (I hate this economy) this and my mSR will have to do.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Hokey smokes! That's a big one. Congrats mate and let us know how it goes. You planked before? Just remember not to hover it.
Yeah no piroettes either! hahaha!

Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:28 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
If this is the plane, there isn't a lot to assemble; it's mostly attaching control surfaces and installing electronics: http://www.nitroplanes.com/hc-hobby-...ctric-jet.html

That is one seriously fast plane and (I'm sure you've heard this before) NOT SUITED TO A BEGINNER! That's like the 5th plane you would own. Maybe you could trade it for heli here in the ad section.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:41 PM
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
If this is the plane, there isn't a lot to assemble; it's mostly attaching control surfaces and installing electronics: http://www.nitroplanes.com/hc-hobby-...ctric-jet.html

That is one seriously fast plane and (I'm sure you've heard this before) NOT SUITED TO A BEGINNER! That's like the 5th plane you would own. Maybe you could trade it for heli here in the ad section.
Yeah I'm considering trading it for a heli, but I don't want to insult/make a mockery of that contest either. I don't want to ruffle feathers or make anyone angry read: he doesn't fly fixed wing anyways, why did he enter and win OUR contest?

I guess it's kinda awkward if I do that.

I beleive it's this one: http://www.nitroplanes.com/f18c-64mm-white-rc-jet.html

I dunno... I like the idea of it, but it seems majorly intimidating the more I ponder it.
Last edited by Forever_Noob; Apr 29, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: adding content.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:31 PM
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
What you you guys do in my situation?

I mean, part of me says "fly it like you stole it", but part of my is kinda frightened (for lack of a better term) by it. My heart is with rotory winged aircraft, but have always loved the fighter jets of our current military, and both my kids are going into the Navy next year.

SHEESH! What to do, what to do...

And I'm not complaining- One should have such problems, right?
Last edited by Forever_Noob; Apr 29, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:15 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Well, this much is certain... you can't fly it, don't even try. If you aren't in a position to be able to learn to fly fixed wing with a trainer, contact the people who ran the contest and explain your situation.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:52 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
If you have no experience with fixed wing, EDF is a bad place to start, kinda akin to buying your first heli then trying to do 3D... EDF jets are ridiculously fast and twitchy, kinda like trying to fly a Trex 250 in a gale
SlopeKing is offline Find More Posts by SlopeKing
Old May 02, 2010, 11:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
I traded it for a blade 400. I need a battery, and it came with an LP5DSM Tx, but I thing I got the BETTER of the deal.

Now tell me the facts, guys, and tell me what I need to get this heli in the air.

And yes- I know I got stroked but I got his butt too... What is a Blade 400 worth without a Tx? I would guess more than a dumb edf foam jet RTF (149.95).

I'm happy! Just need to know where to go from here.
Last edited by Forever_Noob; May 02, 2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Wife yelling at me.............................
Old May 03, 2010, 12:30 AM
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
My thanks to Safety******** on this site for being there in this area and on this site for making this trade possible.