SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2010, 03:14 PM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Hey Sergey, thanks alot for that, very interesting web page. So it seems that it is for trimming the aircraft for different stages of flight, Kevin was right in a way.

Phil
jumpy is online now Find More Posts by jumpy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:00 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I used to fix DC9's years ago when I worked for Air Canada. there is a hydraulic jack on the whole tailplane assembly, but it is for trim function only and is held on with one bolt. the whole assembly is allowed to free float by use of dampers and bearings, within the range of capture. the elevator tabs are driven hydraulically to increase aerodynamic pressure on the whole tailplane assembly, which changes the pitch attitude of the plane. there are two aerodynamic trim tabs the further increase the mechanical advantage of the elevators and also for flight trim. I figured the Frog's operated the same way, since they are such huge surfaces and would require a lot of hydraulic pressure to operate the system.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:00 PM
Some epoxy & it flies again...
Santa Cruz, California
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
Phil,
the Frog looks better and better.

Rich,
I keep learning from your insights.

Stefan
Low Pass is offline Find More Posts by Low Pass
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:34 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I keep learning all the time too, Stefan. LOL. funny how that works eh!?

Rich
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:39 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Phil. I saw a website that's offering an SU-25. I'll get back to you on which site and I don't know any information cause there wasn't any. it just said that they were offering a Frog. hmmmmmmmmmm. it's on this site.

http://www.ductedfans.com/

Rich
Old Jun 09, 2010, 03:26 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Hey Rich, Stefan is right, you are a fountain of knowledge! Counldn't see any info on that website btw, even tried googling. Thanks Stefan, there's still a long way to go yet. I need to start installing the internal control fittings for rudder and elevator before i skin the tail section, was going to have external controls but thaught internal would look better.

Phil
Old Jun 09, 2010, 05:23 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,876 Posts
That's some really tight work Phil.

Keep the updates coming.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jun 09, 2010, 05:28 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Thanks Julian, will do. Got a few days off work this week so hoping to get a bit done.

Phil
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:25 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Phil

have you thought about the rotary drives available for servos? they make a clean install with no visible control links. these would be good for aielrons and flaps. the elevator and rudder links can hidden inside the tail, so no big deal there. I'll find a link for the rotary drives.

Rich
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:27 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
here's the link. enjoy.

http://www.irfmachineworks.com/rds/
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:31 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Phil

scroll to the bottom of the page on the ductedfans.com link I gave you, to the "coming items" part. it'll say A6, etc, but if you keep reading through the list of upcoming planes, one of them is the Frogfoot. interesting anyway.

Rich
Old Jun 09, 2010, 02:34 PM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Hey rich, thanks for the link. Iv'e already installed the snakes, so i'll stick with the traditional method for now. As for ailerons and flaps, im installing servos in the centre section of the wing and using bell cranks in the wings. I see what you mean about the ductedfans.com site, be interesting to see what comes out.

Phil
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:59 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Phil

for sure. it won't be anywhere near as nice as yours though. there's will be cheap and knock out as many as you can type of thing. I want one of yours, when you decide to get off your butt and kit it. LOL.

Rich
Old Jul 01, 2010, 09:27 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Some more pics of progress so far, I know Rich im dragging this one out!! The fuselage is now skinned and ready for sanding and filling ( not too much filling hopefully ). Still need to make up fan hatches and plug for canopy. Control links are installed and rudder and elevators done, wont be installed until after finishing. I think im going to go down the glassing route with regards to finish, even though never done it before Any tips??

Phil
Old Jul 01, 2010, 01:48 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
LOL Phil. you and the Froggy are coming along just fine. it's the Jag that's not coming along "AT ALL" at the moment. I'm having some medical issues with my bowels and I've got to go in over the next several weeks for cancer testing. it's a bit of a bummer, but I always look for the postivies out of a negative. there's still plenty of people in this world that a worse off than I am, no matter what's wrong. hopefully there's nothing serious, but if it is, then I'll deal with it as it comes. I haven't even been flying lately because of the pain I'm in on my left side. it's hard to do the stuff you like when you can't sit or stand and are constantly fidgeting to bring the pain under control. LOL. in 2008, I had the heart attack because of my own stupiditiy and now this. but you know what they say, you have to suffer through adversity before you can learn compassion for others. that's deffinitely the case here.

keep up the good work and I'll be watching as always.

Rich
Last edited by LuvEvolution7; Jul 01, 2010 at 08:35 PM.