HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:31 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
almost done With the Gear Cad Stuff (the gear is very.... F-16 like just longer..)
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:03 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Nice. That's awesome K. How's everything going?
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:17 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
good
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:27 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
620 Posts
That is a beautiful bird! I purchased some of the Styro Spray 1000 from Polymer Industries in Houston Tx. I understand that it is the same product that Wow Planes sells. I have only used it once but it is a great product. There was a learning curve involved with getting the right humidity during application but after a good sanding with my mouse sander it left a very smooth and durable finish, and relatively light.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:11 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,440 Posts
Jaguar, Jaguar,Jaguar. . . .XKE converible. . . .lolJust kidding the plane!. . .can't wait for more sepacat updates.
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:37 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
the project has been re-started Chris. I'm just waiting to receive the CAD files for the fuselage and landing gear and I can get going on the those items. what is happening at the moment, is the wings are being constructed. I won't be posting any pics for a week or two, because I want to get the construction technique correct before I post anything. there's really not much to post anyway, since it's all dry fitting at the moment. I'll post some pics as I've got something solid to post.

basically, it's two spars that will be in an FG/foam/CF composite sandwich, or I may substitute ply for the foam. I've made a test piece to see how the foam holds up to a weight test in both compression and tensile strength. if it doesn't hold up to at least 200 lbs of weight applied, I won't use it. this equates to about 7G's of loading on the spars.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:52 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
once I've found the best solution for the job, I'll get to work on assembling the wings.

not sure I've informed everyone, but I've changed direction with this build. I won't be doing a plug and mold for the time being. it will be a construction technique similar to the Chimera build and other builds by Frank, Claus, D-Fast, unclecrash and others. I already have the templates cut out for this method, but I'm waiting on more accurate CAD templates for this and we'll see how accurate my drawings were. I know I'm accurate, but let's face it, CAD is gonna be better, so may as well use it.

bottom line is, I couldn't keep going as it was. I was stressing myself out and had to let it go. kitting a plane at this juncture of my life is just plain crazy, so it's gonna be a one-off..........................for now. I just don't have the inclination, or the monitery means of building a plug and mold. so I'm gonna do a hotwire and FG shell, and it will most likely be powered by a single, 120mm fan, or a Dynamax. a twin would be cool, but that will be later. I am also thinking that it won't have intake ducting either. I'm thinking open intakes, with a bellmouth inlet on the fan. this should also give a lovely, whooshing sound with all that open fuselage. I'm not looking for a plane to win a speed contest, just something that flies very scale-like and can also move out when the throttle is pushed further. so, we'll see where this goes over the winter. I'll post pics when I have something worth posting. till then, I'll keep an update going.

Rich
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:24 PM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Rich that is interesting why did you pick 7g have you worked out that this is maximum rate the airframe will produce or is it figure you think you will never fly beyond?

If an aeroplane is flying at stalling speed, then its wing is at its maximum lift coefficient.
Keep it at the angle for CLmax but increase speed by a factor of 3 that means that the lift generated increases as the square of the airspeed, factor of 9

So to work out the maximum g a plane can experience in an unstalled condition we can say that it is the the square of (max air speed/stall speed) so if it flies at 3 times the stall speed then a max rate turn will put 9g on the airframe. This is not an absolutely accurate method but it is very close to it and easy to work out.

With full size the pilot experiences the load and to sme extent he regulates it. As modellers we do not have that luxury so we need to be stressing big models to accommodate the maximum load that the aeroplane can generate.Largely because a 9g turn with a big model can still look nice and smooth just danged fast,
TANGOSIERRAROM is offline Find More Posts by TANGOSIERRAROM
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:43 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGOSIERRAROM View Post
Rich that is interesting why did you pick 7g have you worked out that this is maximum rate the airframe will produce or is it figure you think you will never fly beyond?

If an aeroplane is flying at stalling speed, then its wing is at its maximum lift coefficient.
Keep it at the angle for CLmax but increase speed by a factor of 3 that means that the lift generated increases as the square of the airspeed, factor of 9

So to work out the maximum g a plane can experience in an unstalled condition we can say that it is the the square of (max air speed/stall speed) so if it flies at 3 times the stall speed then a max rate turn will put 9g on the airframe. This is not an absolutely accurate method but it is very close to it and easy to work out.

With full size the pilot experiences the load and to sme extent he regulates it. As modellers we do not have that luxury so we need to be stressing big models to accommodate the maximum load that the aeroplane can generate.Largely because a 9g turn with a big model can still look nice and smooth just danged fast,
oops, I meant to type 9G. I figured if I could get the spar to about 9 times the weight of the aircraft weight, for stresses, then it should be ok with the rest of the structure to add even more rigidity. sound thinking!? I dunno, but it sounds like it should be about right. I figure the plane should weigh less than 20 lbs RTF, so if the spar could withstand about 200 lbs of weight stress, then it should be in the right ballpark. personally, I don't think the foam is going to cut it, but I will try both and see what gets the best results.

Rich
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:44 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
here's a cool vid of the main gear. hope it loads

Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:44 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
nice. it loaded. just click on the picture and it'll redirect you to play the movie.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:13 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Hey Rich hows tricks? Nice video, glad to hear you haven't given up on the Jag, with your knowledge and experience im sure it will work out fine how ever you decide to build it. I was kind of hoping you were going to make a plug so i could follow your method and apply it to my 'froggy', looking to do a plug aswell. Good luck and look forward to updates.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:01 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Phil, if you want to follow the method I will eventually follow, just go to either the F-14 thread, or the Horton 229 thread by Invertmast. it's about as simple and to the point as it gets. Thomas is an awesome guy and will help you with any questions you may have. in fact, he will even follow your thread and give you pointers on there, if he isn't already on your thread.

Rich
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:02 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
how's things over there in Cornwall? not as cold as it is here, I bet. LOL.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:22 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,440 Posts
Nice Jag Gear video Rich. . . .Sepecat really had to fit some tough carrier like landing gear into a very small space. . . . .I can't wait to see how you will tackle those gears in RC form.
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...