SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:58 PM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,597 Posts
Rich, yeah I have been watching that thread, it's a work of art. I don't think I have the skills to build that lightly out of depron, did some more thinking and if I upscale to 1/9th, it won't be too hard to redraw the ducting to fit 90mm fans, that way I can use two of those $70 ChangeSun fan and motor combos for an all up power figure of about 3.2kw, that should make it move

Dammit now you've got me thinking (dangerous I know ), a 90mm Bucc with retracts, rotating bomb bay and operational airbrake would be perfect, looks like I better start redrawing
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:46 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
LOL. sorry to get you thinking and I know how you feel, cause I do enough of it myself. on a serious note, a 90mm Bucc would be a great size and if it's kept light enough, you should be able to cruise around in a very scale like manner on partial throttle, which would make your flight times very decent indeed. of course, with that many Watts, you'de have the oomph to really make it move out in a hurry, if you ever need it. I think you'de be surprised at how easy Depron is to work with. it's easy to bond with a variety of glue products and easy to cut with a sharp knife. of course, availability is an issue with some folks and you'de have to look into that where you live. in Canada, it's not so easy to come by in bulk quantities and is generally very expensive at the local hobby shops. if you have skills working with balsa, you'll have no issues with Depron. in fact, I would argue that it's a little easier to work with than balsa in many respects. worth a look into, at least. I know, I know, I'm making you think again. LMAO

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:48 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Sam, I knew those drawings I sent you would come in handy some time. LOL. I've got a few more if you ever need them Phil.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 01:17 AM
ooooh yeah
Joined May 2004
1,597 Posts
HAHA Rich, oh I've worked with depron before, I just didn't think I could build to that size but you never know. It's pretty readily available here if I order online, might make a smaller 60-64mm one first to test out, but a full house 90mm one would be awesome! Would have to engineer removable wings bit that shouldn't be too hard.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:35 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
where are picts of your build Rich?
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:14 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
there's another thread on here and there are pics on there. it shoud be titled the same................I changed my mind and upsized a bit. LOL. I may do that again and go up to 6th scale, since my pilot is 6th scale. the original plan was to build a mold and then pull multiple fuses, but plans have since changed. I will still do the mold when I have the space/time to do so, but for now, it will be a Depron build. the best part is, that it will allow me to use the WM400 MKII fans that I originally wanted to use on this project, before it got out of hand. LOL. I'll find the thread and post it on here for you to look at.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
here's the thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jaguar
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:56 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Wow Rich 1/6th scale That would be a 'big cat '.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:41 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
you know what they say Phil................go big or go home. hahahahaha
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:22 PM
ooooh yeah
Joined May 2004
1,597 Posts
1/6!! oh please don't make me resize the Bucc plans to that, I haven't finished doing them to 1/9th yet! God knows what power system I would need
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:37 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
twin 90's should do it. hahahahahaha. or turbine!!!!!!! LOL. yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't encourage such shenanigans, should I? hahahahahaha.

as I've said before, I'm a thinker and I'm always thinking of ways to spend my wife's money. LMAO. if I do go to 1:6 scale, it would be for turbine, not EDF. once you get to a certain size, EDF just isn't practical anymore. so I guess that means I'm just thinking out of my a$$ for the time being. hahahahahaha.

just waiting to get through Christmas, so I can get some cash together and make my Depron purchase and get going on this build. I've got a few things to do in the mean time (like ducting, etc), so I'll get some pics going very shortly.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:04 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
You had to pick a plane with the most horrible to recreate landing gear dident you? LOL I hope your good at machining
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:45 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
actually, I'm terrible at machining. hoping I can find someone to do it for me. LOL. it doesn't have to be completely scale, as long as I get the same look. I may even bite the bullet and order the retracts from Christen Diffusion. our Jags are roughly the same scale, so they would be a direct fit. they are very pricey though, so I was hoping to go another route. time will tell.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:29 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,468 Posts
Hurry up Rich our Ottawa Rideau EDF event is June 11-12 2011
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:41 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I am hoping to make it there this year. I was trying to make it to the last event, but work got in the way. I'm going to schedule that time off this year, so the same thing doesn't happen this year. the Jag will be there..................fingers crossed. LOL.