HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:31 PM
It Flies
Torrance (LA), California/Gainesville, Florida
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
Discussion
RIP-ROARING 3D IN YOUR BACKYARD!!! --- Ultra-Micro Lhotse 3D by Vibrant Designs

This is the latest plane that I've scratchbuilt. It's the first plane I've scratchbuilt under a 35" wingspan and only my second foamy.

Technical Specifications

Wingspan: 375mm or 14.75 inches
Length: 347mm or 13.66 inches from tip of prop to end of vertical stabilizer
Flying weight: 25 to 30 grams AUW
Motor: 8.5mm coreless brushed
Battery: 150mah 1S 3.7volt 12C lithium polymer battery or two 110mah 10c 3.7v LIPO in parallel (option to run batteries in parallel available) Must be able to draw 1.8+ amps continuous
Receiver: AR6400 w/ two integrated AS200L servos and one separate for ailerons
Charger: Celectra 4-Port charger, single port Parkzone 3.7v LIPO charger, or any LIPO charger that supports single cell
Propeller: GWS 5/4.3"

Meet The Lhotse
The Lhotse 3D takes the high speed capabilities of the Sukhoi bundled with the style and performance of the Micro 4-Site to create a truly unparalleled ultra-micro experience. Its all up flying weight is nearly 5 grams lighter than both the Sukhoi and Micro 4-Site, which provides an unseen plethora of power for extreme aerobatics and 3D flying. Its wingspan is also an inch shorter!

The Lhotse 3D can hover just under 3/4 throttle, climb unlimited in a vertical stance, perform "the wall" right on takeoff, knife edge without full rudder input, snap roll, perform harriers, inverted harriers, flat spins, tail slides, consecutive loops, lightning fast rolls, and anything else you can put your mind to.

Not only does the Lhotse provide a great 3D experience, but it flies well at low throttle for small areas and maintains great deadstick flight.That's not to say she isn't fast however, just increase the throttle and you'll see for yourself.

Durability
The Lhotse's airframe is constructed exclusively of 3mm thick cellfoam from Midwest Products Co. Unlike its underpowered predecessors, the Lhotse can be easily repaired. There aren't any custom shapes or sizes that anybody without a hobby knife and a pair of scissors couldn't construct. For example, the Sukhoi's canopy and fuselage might look great, but if you damage them you'd have to order the parts from Horizon Hobby. The bottom line is that you shouldn't be afraid to take the Lhotse to the edge because there's absolutely no part of the airframe that can't be completely reconstructed at home.

Bind N' Fly
You most likely already have a DSM2 capable transmitter. Whether it's for one of your big planes or the other ultra-micro's, you'll be able to use that exact transmitter to bind to the Lhotse which will come ready to fly. With 2.4ghz technology you don't have to worry about radio interference, and your free to fly without any worries. Modelers everywhere are beginning to make the switch to 2.4ghz technology. The Bind and Fly Lhotse will come prepared with everything you need to fly, except for the transmitter.

Plug N' Play
Already have an ultra micro and a few batteries? Great, because you'll be able to use any of the standard ultra-micro batteries that come with the Sukhoi and P-51 if you run them in parallel with the included parallel connector. If you have a Micro 4-Site, perchance, you can use the battery for that plane without wiring parallel as it has the ability to handle the high current draw. Anything that allows over 1.8 amps of current draw will work with the plane.

In short, the Plug N' Play version of the Lhotse comes with everything you need to get flying, minus the charger, batteries and transmitter.

----

So, here's what I think I'll most likely do...I'll look for some trial buyers who are very good 3D pilots who will be willing to buy the plane, run it through the wringer, and write an unbiased review of their results before I move forward and release it to other people. From my 3D experience I'm blown away by the power. The 4-Site is impressive, without a doubt, but in my opinion it was still a bit too heavy and just barely had enough power to do what I wanted. I spent a while messing around with several different airframes and basic designs until I reached this design—the most lightweight out of the others I'd made and the one with the most agreeable flight characteristics.
speedster239 is offline Find More Posts by speedster239
Last edited by speedster239; May 10, 2010 at 12:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
It Flies
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
Added more photos. And yes, I am flying 3D in a 12X12 foot room. Definitely not easy, but if you're experienced it can be done. It was too windy outside to take photos today, so I settled for this. Check out the stool-top tail drag, all I can say is NIIIICCCEEE. Thanks to my cameraman for capturing it at the right moment.

Geez, how fun it can be to fly 3D.
Last edited by speedster239; Apr 26, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:16 PM
It Flies
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
Changed location of landing gear, added control rod support.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:03 PM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,681 Posts
I'm watching...
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old May 01, 2010, 01:04 PM
It Flies
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeflyer View Post
I'm watching...
Good .

Hopefully I'll get to fly the little beast with the new modifications I've done tomorrow as the bad weather of the past three days is subsiding. I added support for the pushrods to prevent them from flexing in flight. I got a straw, cut it into small pieces, and added a support for both the rudder and elevator pushrod. I also reconstructed the front end because I smacked the prop against the wall in the house here and it tore the gearbox out. This new front end I cut out is a bit skinny (my fault) but it holds the gearbox better. So, I'll replace the front end in a little while and when I do so I'll use what's existing as a template, but just make it a bit more wider so it looks better.
Old May 03, 2010, 07:48 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,681 Posts
Sounds great. I like my sukhoi so well that a plane like this will be a nice addition.
Old May 03, 2010, 09:51 AM
It Flies
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeflyer View Post
Sounds great. I like my sukhoi so well that a plane like this will be a nice addition.
It truly is a nice addition to the Ultra-Micro collection I have as well--P-51, Sukhoi (favorite), and Micro 4-Site.

Its abilities put all four planes to shame .

I'm going out to fly right now.
Old May 03, 2010, 09:57 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,681 Posts
Please report back!
Old May 04, 2010, 03:42 AM
It Flies
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
Okay,
I had a fantastic day flying! The first issue I encountered after having moved the landing gear forward was the center of gravity. It felt too far forward for most of my flights until, well, I smacked the plane against the ground performing a low pass and the landing gear fell off. At that point, my thoughts were confirmed as she glided like a butterfly after that—no issues with the nose constantly wanting to dip down.

I worked on hovering and one of my favorite 3D maneuvers, "The Wall". The wall is essentially a hover straight on takeoff. This little beast can take flight in just about two plane's lengths without wind and immediately I can get her to hover.

My biggest note for the day was the amazing durability. On three separate occasions I slammed into the ground on the bottom side pretty hard while trying to practice extremely low hovers. I went and picked her up, checked to be sure all the surfaces were in working order, and took off again! Up until I broke the landing gear off on my fourth meeting with the ground there wasn't any visible damage at all.

---
Journal Tuesday, May 4th, 2010:

When I got home I re-glued the landing gear to the bottom of the plane and I added longer pieces of velcro to the battery mount so that I can move the battery backward tomorrow to get the CG to where it was without the landing gear on.

I also created tighter supports for the pushrod supports and I changed the end of the horizontal rear fuselage support so that it provided structural support for the tail surfaces. I needed to glue a bit of the horizontal front cowl support as it seemed to have come loose as well.

I also put a stock Ultra-Micro control horn on the rudder as the one I was presently using was cut down to provide more authority. This was great and all, but the downside was that the surface was able to wobble violently. Since I don't need the same increased authority as was necessary on the Sukhoi to simply knife edge, the control horn was useless.

Cheers!

I'll report back tomorrow after I fly. Hopefully the modifications I made today will prove to be helpful.
Old May 04, 2010, 10:03 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,681 Posts
Thanks for the flight report. Can't wait to see a vid!
Old May 04, 2010, 01:12 PM
It Flies
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
I went out for a short flight today in a small paved parking lot next to my apartments. The area was extremely tight, but I was able to pull off some nice flying.

I usually fly at the local park where there is tons of room.

I'm going to look into taking a video tomorrow.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:28 AM
It Flies
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
I made a template for the plane today. I traced out the foam for my second plane with this template today. I have eight Hyperion 180mah 25c cells on order so by time they get here I will have my second Lhotse 3D (with the electronics from the first) made. The original airframe has seen its days as I truly beat it up yesterday.

I'll cut out the foam for the second plane tomorrow.
Old May 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
I'm exciting just looking at the pictures! Any chance you took some video footage?
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old May 10, 2010, 09:45 PM
It Flies
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxandrews1 View Post
I'm exciting just looking at the pictures! Any chance you took some video footage?
Mxandrews1,
I got your private message today. I'm glad you're interested in the plane. I don't have a specific date that I'll start selling these but they're on their way soon.

Tomorrow should be a landmark day as I'm going to be flying the plane with my new Hyperion 180mah 25C cells from E-RC. These should provide more than double the continuous current draw than I was able to get out of two stock batteries in parallel! The performance increase should be amazing.

I'm looking into getting somebody with a good video camera to film some of my flying.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:27 PM
It Flies
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
I now have two beautiful, identical, Lhotse 3Ds sitting on my workbench. I finished both of the airframes last night (yes, I built two at the same time) and installed the electronics this morning. The wings on these two builds are about 5mm wider. I was able to get a very short test flight in for both of them as the wind was blowing. It was really tough to keep the first one under control on the first flight in the wind as I had the battery a bit too far back and too much up elevator trim. This proved a deadly combination, but regardless I was able to keep her under control, get her back to the ground and move the battery forward. After that she flew beautifully. They both needed a bit of right aileron trimmed in to compensate for the torque factor of the spinning of the prop.

I'm interested in selling one of these in PNP form to somebody who is interested in writing a fair review. If you're interested in buying, let me know how much a fair price should be and I'd be glad to let her go. The only condition is that you write an unbiased review about the performance after you receive her.
Last edited by speedster239; May 11, 2010 at 04:57 PM.