HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:48 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Build Log
1:12th scale EDF Concorde under works....

Finally right place for EDF scratch built models.

From now on i will be posting here instead of in EDF jets section...

Link below is where that thread is ending and will pick up here now with newer postings...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1205746

Notification: Due to technical reasons this model has grown from original 1/14th scale to 1/12th scale now, i have changed the title header according to new adjustments n scale.

Sam
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Last edited by Concordefan; Dec 05, 2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: This thread is Build Log not pure discussion thread.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:27 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
Sam does this forum encompass all types of EDF scratch-builds I.E. foam-balsa-fiberglass Etc? I found an old documentary I taped years ago called
Supersonic spies by NOVA great documentary on how the soviets did thier best to gain all the info on the concord & american SST's to build the tu-114
great show! I can't wait to see more of this build I'm hooked!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:09 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Chris,

You can re-locate all 4 airliner projects in this section also if you wish to do so. As long as builds are to be powered by EDF systems regardless how they are constructed, i'm sure they are welcome in this section.

Yeah man i would love to see that documentary, even though they tried there very best but were not able to get there aircraft to safely perform for airline use!, i doubt if even once Tu-144 ever carried full load of passengers as revenue flight!, if it did, that would be big surprise for me as i've never heard or read anything like that before.

You did showed interest in building a similar model, well bro Ivan's PDF are available to anyone who wish to do another Concorde build, go for it......we both can then share info, but i'm not sure if your fuselage building method will be strong enough to take all the loads and forces of air or not for a model of this nature, i suppose a smaller scale version could be built to test it...

Sam
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:01 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Getting back to experiment i am in between now days, well don't ask how or what happened but good thing is my hotwire cutter started to work again and i took the advantage to cut all my 3 wing sections. I think next time i will cut from tip to root as LE didn't turned out the greatest but good for this experiment.

After glue is cured, i will cut the reflex on the aft to TE of the wing and will make wing's very front piece with pointed end as beginning of platefoil is.

Sam
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:40 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
tell that to Olle who's building an A380 out of Depron that's a bit bigger than your Concorde. LOL. yours will experience more aerodynamic pressure because of speed, but his will experience more torsional, bend and stretch loads due to weight and lack of speed. maybe a smaller Concorde with 4 50mm or WM300's might be in order, or perhaps 2 WM300's. LOL.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:55 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
tell that to Olle who's building an A380 out of Depron that's a bit bigger than your Concorde. LOL. yours will experience more aerodynamic pressure because of speed, but his will experience more torsional, bend and stretch loads due to weight and lack of speed. maybe a smaller Concorde with 4 50mm or WM300's might be in order, or perhaps 2 WM300's. LOL.

Rich
What r u talking about, i'm lost on this post of yours Rich. Can you explain what ur saying about Olli's A380 vs my Concorde. Both are totally different animals and why make smaller version, what gives??
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:59 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan View Post
Chris,

You did showed interest in building a similar model, well bro Ivan's PDF are available to anyone who wish to do another Concorde build, go for it......we both can then share info, but i'm not sure if your fuselage building method will be strong enough to take all the loads and forces of air or not for a model of this nature, i suppose a smaller scale version could be built to test it...

Sam
referring to the above post
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:32 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
referring to the above post
Gottch ya!!!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:54 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Spend few more hours in the shop, here are the results. I am happy to say this
double curve complex wing is very much doable by hot wire cutter. You just have to think about it from few different angles and you will achieve this goal as i have. I'm taking this experiment 2 more miles to show how i added reflex by relocation templates on center and mainly last TE section.

Front piece cut and ready to take shape, i will do that tomorrow and also do final assembly of this wing to finish it off fully.

Sam
Last edited by Concordefan; Apr 26, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:00 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
Excellent Hot-wire work Sam! your making incredible progress!! Hey I'l love for you to build me one of these big hot-wire cutters someday.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:02 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
Ohh and sam I will build a Concorde in a month or two I've just gotta finish the 707 & start my L-1011 then comes the Concord, hey if it wasn't for your Concord build I wouldn't have the confidence to build one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:20 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Hi Sam!

The cores turned out not too bad!
I have been there with cutting delta cores. Took me 4 weeks to get it right
I'll be folowing your progress with interest!

Good luck!
erik
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:36 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,593 Posts
Nice work Sam, looks good.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:56 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Thanks guys for appreciating this work, though it was just a experiment but it gave me a lot of courage now to move onwards with more complex adventures for future builds. I'd say this is the "Most Complex" core cutting i have done so far and i'm proud n pleased with my results specially done in one shot!....

I will get back on with this build soon as i think i've burnt myself on Sunday hence i'm on my bed mostly and in house for last 2 days!, my nasal system is badly blocked now and it just aggravates more with my back problem.

Sam
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
The fellow who is supplying me the copies of those Blue print drawings and i have been talking about "Kink" on the Concorde's wing and it's significance, we came up with different discussion on why it's there and why not or how it works n not so to say. Well here is what he got from a fellow who was working on Concorde's project in Filton at the designing stages of this aircraft. Some good read actually, , , ,

"This is the reply I received from a friend and fellow volunteer at Filton, he was very involved with the aerodynamics of Concorde and worked in the Filton wind tunnel at the time of Concordes development, hope this helps it's straight from the horses mouth, so to speak

Concorde's wing shape is a typical aeroplane design compromise, perhaps more difficult with Concorde than other aircraft because of the huge speed range of the aeroplane. Planform and camber are probably the two most significant factors which can be varied to provide the optimum compromise, and after the prototypes had flown a certain amount of "tweaking" was carried out on these two parameters. My memory, which may be quite fallible, tells me that the reason for the tweaking arose from the "zero G" case. Airworthiness requirements state that an aircraft must be safe under "zero G" conditions. Concorde, in terms of flying qualities, was absolutely fine under "zero G", but there was a tendency for two of the engines (can't remember whether it was the inboards or the outboards) to run rough and surge. What was happening was that at low incidences the wing was spinning a vortex on the undersurface of the wing which was being ingested by the engines and making them cough. The solution was to modify the planform (very slightly changes to sweep) and the leading edge droop. This fixed the "zero G" engine problems to the satisfaction of the airworthiness authorities, but it had a deleterious effect on low speed performance. So some more work was carried out on the leading edge droop on the outer wing (outboard of the nacelles) to improve low speed lift (i.e. for take-off and landing, and first segment climb), and get the aerodynamic centre in a better position. I think it was as a result of this work that the kink on the leading edge appeared.
You have to remember that, at low speed, Concorde's lift comes from vortex lift, quite different to conventional aircraft. A lot of work on Concorde was aimed at keeping the wing vortices in the right place under differing flight conditions - incidence, speed, sideslip etc. We were very successful in this (eventually), and Concorde's vortex system is amazingly stable at low speeds. But it meant that the changes in leading edge sweep and camber (droop) when you look at the wing are quite complex. The Tu-144 wing looks rather primitive by comparison. I would love to have been able to talk to some Tupolev aerodynamicists about their wing design
."

I'd say no wonder why Russian Tu-144 couldn't perform right in flight and why it suffered so many aerodynamic issues in it's structural design...

Sam
Last edited by Concordefan; Apr 29, 2010 at 01:43 AM.
Closed Thread