HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:56 PM
Kul
Aerodynamics Grad Student
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
Discussion
ProJet MQ-9 Reaper

Has anyone tried to FPV this plane? http://www.nitroplanes.com/mq9.html I would like to get back into FPV with this plane. It looks amazing, has lots of internal space and even has a custom opening for a camera. On the down side it looks like it has a high stall speed ( long T/O , landing distances and no hand launches) and is probably fragile. What kind of motors, props would it need? How much air time do you think I could get with it?
Kul is offline Find More Posts by Kul
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:42 AM
Kul
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
No one tried this plane yet?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:58 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
NitroPlanes MQ-9 Reaper UAV Drone Part 2. FLYING ONLY! (8 min 57 sec)
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:12 PM
Kul
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
I would like to know how hard it will be to land it in FPV. It has a high approach speed so I'll need to flare it before touch down but from my FPV experience, it is REALLY difficult to tell how high I am above the ground or when I should flare. I dont think that video was in FPV.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:12 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,376 Posts
I was one of the preorder folks that received one. There's a couple postings here and there, one specifically over in the UAV group. It'll remain in the box for now. Right now I'm moving and don't have time to spend on it. The construction looks pretty good, and it looks like it will hold FPV gear. Keep in mind this was modeled after a MQ-9 and not a Easy Star so things will be different. Personally I can't wait to get the box open and the plane in the air. It's been awhile since I've flown FPV.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old May 01, 2010, 01:45 AM
Kul
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. I have not flown (rc planes) since winter break but would like something better than TwinStarII that I used to have. I would like to know if this is a reasonable step up or an imminent crash/disappointment.
Old May 01, 2010, 12:31 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
this plane is so cool, good way to rise attention to what you're doing though, and you need a freaking runway, I have thought extensively about this plane, and probably way to nerve wracking and dangerous to land FPV, even while slowing down on a landing, theres no runways near me, I would be risking spending 300$ on fixing a dent on someone's car.
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old May 01, 2010, 03:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
75 Posts
I used to fpv with this plane. While a good looking , useable platform it has a few drawbacks. The long, thin wings are very prone to wind gusts and tip stall. Landing in fpv wasn't that difficult if you mount the camera below the fuselage. Any crosswind made fpv landings very risky as it was real easy to catch a wingtip on final. It glides well an flew fine while at altitude, but I always flew very scale-like, no aerobatics. I ran a eflite park 480 and it had plenty of power, even with camera, batteries, eagletree stuff etc. I used to land on short compacted grass, but even the best landings could tear off the rear gear. Replacement parts are always on backorder, I'd save your $$$ for something else. My .02
wrex450 is offline Find More Posts by wrex450
Old May 02, 2010, 09:29 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,376 Posts
Once again keep in mind this is not the 480 version of this plane. Looking at it originally my estimate for motor size is a '32' to '40' sized E-Flight motor with a 4 cell lipo pack. The thing essentially IS a big power glider. I'm not to worried about weight or glide ratio. My original FPV plane that I started out on was roughly 2lbs empty.. Fully loaded it was 4lbs nearing 5lbs toward the end of its lifecycle.

Not my build thread, but others have started one in the UAV forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237390
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:29 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
everybody who has flown this plane says it's not good for fpv. it's a novelty warbird not an fpv
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:47 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Aug 2007
729 Posts
I've got one (480 version) I'd sell for $20 plus shipping if anyone wants it
MauiNate is online now Find More Posts by MauiNate
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:30 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
PREDATOR WITH JATO TAKEOFF.MP4 (2 min 35 sec)
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old May 05, 2011, 08:19 AM
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
:-D Thats funny! How did you hook up the rockets?
carlalex is offline Find More Posts by carlalex
Old May 05, 2011, 09:09 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlalex View Post
:-D Thats funny! How did you hook up the rockets?
Oh no, it wasn't me! It doesn't always go according to plan though...

JATO Predator Crash.mp4 (3 min 25 sec)
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old May 05, 2011, 11:17 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,919 Posts
Great video's. I did order the 98" version last week and I won't be doing that to it. There are other video's of guys doing a rocket powered funjet being dropped from a modded Twinstar. Must find that and post. Fonnd
QUADSTAR / FUNJET ROCKET POWERED AIR LAUNCH FEB. 01, 2009 (0 min 35 sec)

Funjet Rocket Powered G Motor - 2nd Air Launch (0 min 10 sec)
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Martin Y; May 05, 2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Found video's