SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:16 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBtwnHdset View Post
Hi CaptJac! I'm a beginner, really need help, hope you can take on another student!
Welcome aboard and glad to help. Drop a line in my message box when you are ready to go and we'll setup a Phoenix schedule.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:40 AM
Noobness
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Your awsome!
ShortBtwnHdset is offline Find More Posts by ShortBtwnHdset
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:55 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
- thanks - been often called worse but seldom better. You may want to change that opinion once we get started though ....

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Sep 24, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:20 PM
Your avarage HELI NOOB
Florida
Joined Mar 2010
10 Posts
I just added you to my Skype contacts. Maybe we can fly one day.
Hopperstien is offline Find More Posts by Hopperstien
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:17 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopperstien View Post
I just added you to my Skype contacts. Maybe we can fly one day.
Sounds like fun - check your message box and we can coordinate a time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:24 PM
Noobness
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Hi again CaptJac! Did you get message from skype? Trying to make sure I have it set up right.,
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:03 AM
Noobness
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Thanks for the response, CaptJac! Look forward to our first session!
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:21 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Hanging up the sign "GONE FLYING" for the next 4 weeks. 5000 miles across the ocean. Obviously out of my mind - although maybe not completely if you ever been to the Ocala Flying Model Club in Florida. Phoenix training will continue on the laptop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2010, 09:14 AM
Noobness
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Hi all! Just wanted to give first impressions from my first session with CapJac. Really enjoyed it, learned a lot on configuring Phoenix, hovering practice, radio setup, model setup, beginnings of autorotation, etc. Had a really great time, and have a lot to practice before next lesson. Highly recommend CapJac for training. Can't wait for next session. Thanks CapJac!
Last edited by ShortBtwnHdset; Oct 05, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:29 AM
Noobness
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Hanging up the sign "GONE FLYING" for the next 4 weeks. 5000 miles across the ocean. Obviously out of my mind - although maybe not completely if you ever been to the Ocala Flying Model Club in Florida. Phoenix training will continue on the laptop.
Hope You have a great time in FL, and happy flying!
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:48 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Thanks for posting and positive feedback. Helps me to evaluate and adjust and recover - from the students hoping to 3D after a lesson or two. They aren't quite as positive. Trying to learn in a week what normally takes years - somehow just doesn't fly very well. Most of my students work really HARD - practice every day - and after 2 or 3 sessions it really shows!! One student was quite frustrated because he wasn't making the progress he wanted. We spent a little more time on the heli pad and after 4 sessions he's taken off and doing forward flight patterns. For those who gave up trying to fly - you might want to give it another try. Only difference between a teacher and a student is the teacher learned first. My students have taught me some pretty effective methods in the last few months. I wish I had known some of those techniques when I started!! Thanks again to everyone who has stayed the course. If you are in the neighborhood of Ocala the next few weeks - come on down!!

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:05 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
The real test of simulators is how you fly when there is no reset button and this last week I've been able to put simulator effectiveness to the test. How do simulators hours translate to the real world? Amazingly well!! The muscle "memory" developed from simulator flying are the same muscles used in the real world. The only real difference is distance perception with looking at a 2 dimensional screen on your computer versus the depth of field of 3 dimensions. Keep that simulator training going!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:46 AM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
I had my first lesson with CaptJack yesterday, so I thought i'd give people my first impressions.

Firstly, Jack seems like a great guy, he's friendly and relaxed, as was the tone of the session generally. Jack took me through the phoenix setup he recommends to learn with, which includes tweaking the model a little and making sure phoenix is correctly configured for your controller. This was really useful and has resulted in a heli which is manageable for a beginner, with sensible expo values and pitch etc. Jack is great at explaining what you're doing and why you're doing it, so you understand the reasoning behind the changes you're making.

We had an online session where Jack spectated on my heli flying, he can see your control inputs and can provide realtime feedback on what you're doing, as if you're both standing there at the field really. it's a powerful way to learn for those of us who aren't lucky enough to have a mentor at a local flying club. I can already hover to a limited degree so we moved quickly onto some exercises I could practice to help improve my control of the heli, and i'll be practicing these before we have our next session. Jack is flexible about what is appropriate for you, he'll soon have a grasp of your skill level and will concentrate on the areas which you need to work on.

To anyone who doesn't have phoenix yet, it is a really good sim, and when you combine this with the lessons Jack is offering, it makes buying it a no-brainer! The benefit of having someone who can fly giving you advice shouldn't be underestimated. That Jack does this for free, in his own time is amazing really, we're lucky to have such a generous guy willing to help out.
jagsta is offline Find More Posts by jagsta
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:24 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Please send donations to: wahooo.saveyourmoneyandbuyasimulator/ :/com/havefun
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:22 PM
WGW
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
I think I might be interested in taking you up on your offer for instruction. I am familiar with SKYPE, and Gmail Video chat. I am new to RC Heli and I started with a cheep little co-axel from a toy store, I did this for 3 weeks and jumped into a Blade SR, little bit too much of a jump, so I down sized to the Blade MSR. After crashing and repairing the SR more time than I'd care to admit I got the Phoenix Sim. I'm doing much better now and have taken the training gear off the SR recently. I'm doing all this because I bought and rebuilt a used T-rex 450 that I would like to fly with hopefully few crashes.
WGW is offline Find More Posts by WGW