HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:41 PM
DH9116 newbie
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Webcam alternative?

Does anybody hava any experience with using a good quality webcam instead of a physical headset for the classes? I've got a high end Logitech webcam that handles Skype calls great. If not a good alternative, not a big deal.
desertdad is offline Find More Posts by desertdad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:20 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Maybe I shouldn't have..

BUT - based on the rave reviews I have read so far, I have every faith in CaptJac to teach me to fly SCALE. So, I ordered a scale helicopter. Need a good sized one (55 year old eyes), check. Bright color (see above comment), check. Deliver it to work so MY Base Commander doesn't object - check.

Be careful ordering over the internet.....

Gonna need a bigger receiver I think...
Those things are a hell of a lot easier to fly than a Trex.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
Lost at LAX
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Dec 2005
2,558 Posts
Fine. YOU explain to my wife what it's doing in the basement
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:45 AM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Maybe I shouldn't have..

BUT - based on the rave reviews I have read so far, I have every faith in CaptJac to teach me to fly SCALE. So, I ordered a scale helicopter. Need a good sized one (55 year old eyes), check. Bright color (see above comment), check. Deliver it to work so MY Base Commander doesn't object - check.

Be careful ordering over the internet.....

Gonna need a bigger receiver I think...
hahaha I like that
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:18 AM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
CaptJack,
just wanted to touch base, i have just about got everything together to Skype. i have been reading FAQ 102 and practicing hovering and it amazing just like you said 15-20 min at a time and each time i start practicing again i see myself getting better. i am getting excited about starting class CaptJack sir.
my 450 kit has not arrived yet, but i'm getting more confident that i want spend as much money as i did self teaching myself on my CX3.
by the way, what motor kv and pinion would you suggest to start with?
nathan
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:52 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnier00 View Post
CaptJack, just wanted to touch base, i have just about got everything together to Skype. i have been reading FAQ 102 and practicing hovering and it amazing just like you said 15-20 min at a time and each time i start practicing again i see myself getting better. i am getting excited about starting class CaptJack sir. my 450 kit has not arrived yet, but i'm getting more confident that i want spend as much money as i did self teaching myself on my CX3. by the way, what motor kv and pinion would you suggest to start with? nathan
Hi Nathan - muscle memory develops much faster with 20 minutes each day instead of 2 hours twice a week. Keep up the good work! Motor KV and pinion are easy to remember. The lower the numbers- the lower the head speed. For hover practice and slow flight I use a lower head speed. For 3D and zipping and zapping I use no speed - since I don't fly 3D.

Motor rating wise - I'm using 3500KV with an 11T pinion - seems to provide all the speed and torque I need. As I recall (what was the question again?) the Trex-450 Sport was kitted with a 3500KV motor and an 11T and 13T pinion. The 13T is in my parts drawer.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Hi Nathan - muscle memory develops much faster with 20 minutes each day instead of 2 hours twice a week. Keep up the good work! Motor KV and pinion are easy to remember. The lower the numbers- the lower the head speed. For hover practice and slow flight I use a lower head speed. For 3D and zipping and zapping I use no speed - since I don't fly 3D.

Motor rating wise - I'm using 3500KV with an 11T pinion - seems to provide all the speed and torque I need. As I recall (what was the question again?) the Trex-450 Sport was kitted with a 3500KV motor and an 11T and 13T pinion. The 13T is in my parts drawer.

captJac
thanks
my heli is one of the clones so i got order the motor (as per my commander (money thing)), and i'm not interrested in d3 at this time ether so i be using 3500kv and 11t too
nathan
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:38 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
35 Posts
Hey Gang,
A big thanks again goes out to Capt. Jack for another great session...Even though he was abit under the weather, the Capt. helped me alot by looking over my shoulder while I was going through my hovering paces....Finally got the online connection bug fixed, and had a short, but extremely useful session...

Once again, I would highly recommend any new pilots to get in touch with the Capt, get a copy of the FAQ102, read it, then follow the directions to schedule a session with the best Phoenix Sim instructor there is.....Capt. Jack!!!

Now I'll be found at the Kamba field, trying to stay between the lines and the circles!!!

Thanks again, Capt. Jack!!!!

Franz in NJ
VonRecktofen is offline Find More Posts by VonRecktofen
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:37 PM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,558 Posts
Finally managed to get Session #1 under my belt (work PC and Skype/Phoenix don't get along real well)

Jack had some very simple suggestions and methods that showed me some immediate improvement. A bit different for me as an instructor being on the "other side of the classroom", but very rewarding!

Oh - and I had a HELL of a lot of fun too
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:50 AM
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
226 Posts
What a patient man!

I had a repeat of my first session with captJac after my computer crashed and I lost all of the settings.
CaptJac seems to have an infinite store of patience as I slowly followed his instructions.
The only downside was that my computer speed was insufficient to support the Multiplayer option so he could not see how inept my flying skills really are.

According to the advice I have had so far the system is using a regular modem and an upgraded modem could well solve the problem.
Or does anyone out there know better?

Many, many thanks to captJac for his help,
Tony
aerotony is offline Find More Posts by aerotony
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:12 PM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,558 Posts
Has anyone ever got a response from the "Connection" utility in the Echo portion of Skype?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:48 PM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,558 Posts
Here's a Phoenix question for the group. Why is JR 9303 available as a pick from the transmitter list on the software at home, but not on this PC? Loaded from the same disc, updated the same, etc.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Big head noooooob

Hey Cap'n Jack...
I guess every one starts out thinking..cool, I'll get a helicopter and in no time at all Ill be zooming around the sky annoying the eagles and impressing the girls.
(Everyone knows girls are impressed by heli flyers !!)
Anyway..........it didn't work that way for me ....so even though I can tear up the living room with my mcx2 it certainly isn't translating into 'instant expert'with the FPs ...and I'm not even touching my v120dos2 !!

Humbly requesting beginners lessons.....have Skype and Phoenix ?!

Heeeeelp.

El Robbo
El Robbo is offline Find More Posts by El Robbo
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
I had my first training session today with CaptJac. And having never being mentored after a year of playing around with RC copters and Phoenix, it has already paid off big time!

One thing I was not expecting to learn much about was the reasons behind some of the transmitter settings and all the transmitter's programming that can be outsourced to Phoenix. CaptJac filled in some of the gaps/uncertainties that I've had for long time.

By the way CaptJac, thanks for pointing me in the right direction (re: Throttle Hold), it was disabled in my transmitter, it's working now I'm so looking forward to our next session!
pando is offline Find More Posts by pando
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:55 PM
The Dry side of New Orleans
Joined Mar 2007
525 Posts
I've been silently following this thread since Christmas when my wife's grandmother got a Blade 120 SR for me for Christmas. I've flown fixed wing RC for a while now (aprox 2 years with a few year hiatus so I could get married and have a kid). I feel like I almost have the orientation down in tail in and side in but feel that I could use a little guidance. the guys I fly with are great guys, they just fly in Sundays when I'm in church, and they don't like helis.

My time spare time is sporadic due to work/home but would love to set something up and take advantage of your more than generous offer.

I've recently (should arrive today woohoo!) purchased a Blade 450x and before I really tear it up and spend a fortune on parts I'd like to go through the sim with someone. I should have Phoenix installed by this weekend (had to convince the wife that spending $120 on a sim vs spending who knows what on parts was a good idea) and I already have Skype.
skotman is offline Find More Posts by skotman