SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:45 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Loading Phoenix 3.1 on new Laptop

Got a new lap top and loaded my original 3.1. Loaded ok but wouldn't update to latest version. Called Horizon and they recommended I email Phoenix because they (Phoenix) support the firmware. Waited 1 wk no response so contacted Horizon again. After confirming I purchased 3.1 they sent out the new 4.0 dvd rom. This is not the first time Horizon has come through for me. Just another example of 1st class product support. 1 reason why their stuff is so expensive,,,,like the old saying goes,,,you get what you pay for!
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:38 PM
Southern cal. Flyer
Joined Jan 2013
46 Posts
Is Phoenix flight school still going? I.have it and I'm just starting out
Robmacdon is offline Find More Posts by Robmacdon
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:46 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmacdon View Post
Is Phoenix flight school still going? I.have it and I'm just starting out
Still going! Check your msg box.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:37 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
hi I got phoenix and er9x and trying to learn to fly a 450, can i get in on some of this learning
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
CaptJac

Hi CaptJac. I am from England,UK trying to start learning hobby. I have bought Spektrum DX8 and Phoenix Simulator and seek your assistance. Are you still teaching Heli online?
Just got a laptop it still needs Phoenix on it and setit up to server which can take few days.
ashnsmoke is offline Find More Posts by ashnsmoke
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:07 PM
trying to fly
Joined Dec 2012
29 Posts
I finished a session with CaptJac and I highly recommend it for people starting out. You won't magically become a good pilot after a session, but it'll get you setup with practicing on Phoenix. It's a very informative 90 minutes, not having to wade through 100 threads looking for bits of relevant information. It's interactive in real time even. He'll answer your questions instead of pointing you to a 900 page thread!
darvos is offline Find More Posts by darvos
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
I am setting up my laptop and things and looking froward to have a session with CaptJac.
ashnsmoke is offline Find More Posts by ashnsmoke
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:50 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
21 Posts
Hey Gang,
Big word of thanks to the master sensei, CaptJack!!!!
Spent about an hour or so with the Capt. on Skype, getting the Phoenix sim all set up to allow me to practice my homework assignments...The online portion of Phoenix wasn't cooperating with the electronic/ internet journey across the great Pond, but despite that, the lesson was very,very informative.

I learned alot about the sim program that they don't tell you in the manual (or anywhere else for that matter), and some of the "real world" heli information from the Capt. was also very helpful later this afternoon when I flew my Trex500 outside...

I can highly recommend the Phoenix Sim School, The FAQ102 book, the other threads that the Capt. has posted, and I think that almost any level beginner/intermediate RC Heli pilot can learn a few things about the Sim ,and the explanation of control (and how Not to control) the heli from this very gracious teacher.

I've been following Jack's threads both here and elsewhere in Heli-cyber space, and I've always learned quite a great deal from them, and was very glad to finally link up (almost) for some quality, inciteful instruction! Part of my homework from the good Capt. is to figure out how to get my router to travel across the great pond so that we may again try to get the last part of the puzzle together, but I'm very confident that even just the "talk-over" lesson that I received has already impacted my flying...

Can't wait till the next lesson to link up multiplayer and show him what he has taught me..
So stop waiting, get the free Skype app and an inexpensive headset, update Phoenix Sim to the latest version, and send the good Capt. a PM to schedule a date with your RC Heli future of understanding this great hobby more!

Cheers, and Thanks again to Capt. Jack!!!

Franz in NJ
VonRecktofen is offline Find More Posts by VonRecktofen
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:09 AM
DH9116 newbie
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
PDF version of Faq 101 and 102

Jack, not sure if this is the thread for this question, but you have said there is a PDF version of FAQ 101 and 102 available. I tried going to the LuLu site to purchase a PDF version of both, but they only list a eBook (DRM) version as available. I went down that path, but now LuLu is saying they are discontinuing support for DRM. I purchased the DRM version of FAQ 102 and had to install Adobe Digital Editions just to download it and view it. How do I get the complete FAQ 101 book in PDF form. I'll then go back and do the same for FAQ 102. I have a headset and my second Phoenix simulator coming this week. The original TX showed up with one of the sticks not working mechanically (no spring loaded to zero capability on the throttle). I'm really looking forward to this!
BTW, I received a DH9116 for Christmas and this has blossomed into a whole new world.

Jack, my bad, it just dawned on me that I should have posted this in the Free book for beginners thread. I'll repost in the right thread.
desertdad is offline Find More Posts by desertdad
Last edited by desertdad; Jan 16, 2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: wrong forum
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:44 PM
Lost at LAX
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
Phoenix loaded at work, Skype loaded - can't wait for next week. If you're flying into LAX next week and you get diverted to Ontario - well, blame me

Reading this entire thread too - up to page 18!
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:37 PM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't have..

BUT - based on the rave reviews I have read so far, I have every faith in CaptJac to teach me to fly SCALE. So, I ordered a scale helicopter. Need a good sized one (55 year old eyes), check. Bright color (see above comment), check. Deliver it to work so MY Base Commander doesn't object - check.

Be careful ordering over the internet.....

Gonna need a bigger receiver I think...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:02 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Maybe I shouldn't have.. BUT - based on the rave reviews I have read so far, I have every faith in CaptJac to teach me to fly SCALE. So, I ordered a scale helicopter. Need a good sized one (55 year old eyes), check. Bright color (see above comment), check. Deliver it to work so MY Base Commander doesn't object - check. Be careful ordering over the internet..... Gonna need a bigger receiver I think...
Oooooh my!!! Those reviews may have been too good!! Think I hear my base commander calling
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:11 PM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
Attempting to bind now
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:56 PM
DH9116 newbie
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Spektrum DX5e throttle

I just opened my new Phoenix simulator and I have a newbie question. The sticks both return to zero with springs except the throttle. There seems to be the same feel from top to bottom. Is that correct? Should the throttle return to zero by itself like the others? I'm trying to get set up for the simulator classes and I want to make sure everything is correct. It probably makes sense that the throttle starts low and goes all the way high with no center default, but I want to make sure.
desertdad is offline Find More Posts by desertdad
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdad View Post
I'm trying to get set up for the simulator classes and I want to make sure everything is correct. It probably makes sense that the throttle starts low and goes all the way high with no center default, but I want to make sure.
Makes sense - everything is fine.
RCG Plus Member