SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:55 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this (well sort of started about 9 months ago). Most of the time was spent going out, crashing, buying parts, waiting, building, wash-rinse-repeat. I got smart and bought the Phoenix simulator. I've played around with it but not much to go on. I think I'm getting better at it, then I suck again. I work on hover with my 450 Sport (FBL), and I can keep it pretty stable for about 10 seconds and then I start the drunken swirls.

I love this hobby but I'm starting to get fed up. I'm practicing every night for 1-3 hours and don't know if I'm getting better or not.

CaptJac, I need your help. I'll get FAQ 102 and Skype setup soon.

Regards!!!!
Stolidedog is offline Find More Posts by Stolidedog
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:09 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolidedog View Post
I love this hobby but I'm starting to get fed up. I'm practicing every night for 1-3 hours and don't know if I'm getting better or not. CaptJac, I need your help. I'll get FAQ 102 and Skype setup soon. Regards!!!!
Welcome aboard - check your msg box for school info.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
New Happy Trainee!

Just finished first session - great info. My goal is to learn to fly quads, but Jack is showing how learning helos and their complex controls will translate into many useful skills - across all models. 5 stars - highly recommend to anybody using Phoenix RC4 and a computer transmitter.

Lots of practice head now till next session

=Alan R.
Harrzack is offline Find More Posts by Harrzack
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just went through my first lesson with CaptJac. Wow, it was a great experience. The reading material is excellently written and full of good information. The lesson with CaptJac was excellent as well. He explained things every well, radio setup, expo's, how to configure the simulator and why. Internet technology and the ability to communicate and share visually through the simulator with someone with knowledge and experience is invaluable. I can't imagine how anyone can progress without this training.

Well now I know what to work on and how. Lots of practice and patience, but at least now I feel I will get there instead of hacking my way through this hobby and spending a lot of money on repairing crashes.

Thanks CaptJac. Your help is a must for anyone new to the hobby.

Bob
Stolidedog is offline Find More Posts by Stolidedog
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, NY
Joined Jul 2010
9 Posts
If your new to helis. CaptJac's lessons are a MUST! You will save yourself a lot of time and aggravation with setting up your flight sim and getting into the air! If your not new to helis. you will still benefit from his vast knowledge and friendly and gracious personality. I have been into helis for about 2 years and he showed me how to dig into Phoenix and CORRECTLY use its tools to improve my flight skills. His instruction is well paced and exceeded my expectations. He spent a lot of his valuable time to make sure I understood the lessons. What more could a heli-head ask for in an instructor...aces! I would definitely recommend his lessons to a friend - his heart is in this for the love of the hobby. Looking forward to another lesson.
Thanks CaptJac.
theshield35 is offline Find More Posts by theshield35
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:52 AM
ltx
Tech Monkey
BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
193 Posts
CaptJac,

Just wondering if you got a chance to read my PM from a few days ago. I'm looking for a time slot this Monday if you're available.

Thanks.
ltx is offline Find More Posts by ltx
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
ltx
Tech Monkey
BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
193 Posts
Great session with CaptJac today! It's great having someone watching your flights and stick movements and helping you correct them. CaptJac is full of knowledge and easy to follow.

Need to improve on my precision takeoffs and hovering. It will be good to go back to basics (since I've already been flying) and improve upon those before continuing.
ltx is offline Find More Posts by ltx
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:36 AM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Ok, just got the DX18QQ and am tryin to "set up new transmitter". Am at "Preparing Your Transmitter" last step on page, "Disable swashplate/CCPM mixing"??? Can someone help me out here on how to "Disable swashplate/CCPM mixing"??? or at least lead me to some info that will help. Thanks so mucho
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Hello CaptJac,

I am new in this hobby and I am sick of buying spare parts and crashing. Now I started with a simulator and I think I am progressing.
I went in the field last week after 3 months of pause and due to a strong wind I'we crashed, again just before taking off.

Can you help me?

Sebastian
Thanks,
sebastianheli is offline Find More Posts by sebastianheli
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:22 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianheli View Post
Hello CaptJac, I am new in this hobby and I am sick of buying spare parts and crashing. Now I started with a simulator and I think I am progressing. I went in the field last week after 3 months of pause and due to a strong wind I'we crashed, again just before taking off. Can you help me?

Sebastian
Thanks,
Glad to lend a hand. Info sheet in your msg box. Start polishing those rotors!

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:42 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
616 Posts
Merry Christmas To you and your family CaptJac.

I want to thank you for being here with your Phoenix School. You are providing a HUGE service to all Phoenix beginners. I would not be where I am today without the Phoenix School and youR 3D is not for everyone thread.

I know your Christmas Day is almost over so I sincerely hope it was a joyous day.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:52 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
Merry Christmas To you and your family CaptJac.
I want to thank you for being here with your Phoenix School. You are providing a HUGE service to all Phoenix beginners. I would not be where I am today without the Phoenix School and youR 3D is not for everyone thread. I know your Christmas Day is almost over so I sincerely hope it was a joyous day.
RWW
Thank you for the Xmas greetings and kind words. Glad I could help and play a part in your learning experience. Happy holidays and joyous hours of flying!

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:10 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Man - I was gonna suggest phoenix and and the flight school to a noobie and had trouble finding this thread, kinda got pushed to the back.
Are you still offering the same special as last year - first lesson is free and the rest don't cost anything?
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Last edited by karlik; Jan 03, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:42 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
Are you still offering the same special as last year - first lesson is free and the rest don't cost anything?
The price has been doubled this year!!

Check your msg box - info sheet for getting on the roster - Phoenix setup - and homework assignment waiting.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
69 Posts
Hello, I'm new to all this as well and just bought Phoenix to try and learn to fly a quadcopter before I crash a real one. I'm very interested in the flight school mentioned.
Thanks!
leatherlips is offline Find More Posts by leatherlips