HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
I would have thought so. Like left hand drive vs right hand drive. Besides, I bat left and throw, kick, write and mouse right! We're all different.
Lukinross is offline Find More Posts by Lukinross
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Whatever mode you learn is the correct one - there is no wrong mode. Just make sure whatever mode you learn is the one you want to stay with. Once you start training in that mode the brain is wired and it is nearly impossible to un-wire it.
There's a guy in our club who flies both modes no problem. I don't know how he does it, but he does. It's clearly not impossible, but it must be wicked hard.

It is simply not logical to use mode 1 for helicopters though. For basic flying it's probably fine, but think about doing piro-flips with mode 1... with mode 2, you "stir" the cyclic stick in a circle - but with mode 1, you would be executing a very complicated mixture of moves on both hands. Piro flips involve that anyway, but I think it makes more sense with mode 2. Piro flips are an obvious example, but many of the simpler 3D moves involve stirring the cyclic in ways which are intuitive in mode 2, but confusing as hell in mode 1.

SO, I think if you want to eventually fly 3D, you're gonna want to learn mode 2. AND, I know that some of our Australian heli pilots use mode 2 for the reasons I said, in spite of the local airplane guys mostly using mode 1. It's a matter of doing what will serve you best, even if it's not popular.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukinross View Post
Thanks for all your feedback I am in Australia. I bought a dx6i and I have no heli yet. I reckon the cyclic control would be easier on the right but it is on the left... As my throttle is definitely on the right.

I have never flown and am very keen to learn properly from the start so I don't learn too many bad mistakes.

Cheers Luke
Sounds like you have a mode 1 tx, If you cannot exchange it then it is possible to change the mode on some tx's. I believe it is possible for spectrum and here is a link on how to do it.
helidex is online now Find More Posts by helidex
Last edited by helidex; Sep 28, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
There's a guy in our club who flies both modes no problem. I don't know how he does it, but he does. It's clearly not impossible, but it must be wicked hard.

It is simply not logical to use mode 1 for helicopters though. For basic flying it's probably fine, but think about doing piro-flips with mode 1... with mode 2, you "stir" the cyclic stick in a circle - but with mode 1, you would be executing a very complicated mixture of moves on both hands. Piro flips involve that anyway, but I think it makes more sense with mode 2. Piro flips are an obvious example, but many of the simpler 3D moves involve stirring the cyclic in ways which are intuitive in mode 2, but confusing as hell in mode 1.

SO, I think if you want to eventually fly 3D, you're gonna want to learn mode 2. AND, I know that some of our Australian heli pilots use mode 2 for the reasons I said, in spite of the local airplane guys mostly using mode 1. It's a matter of doing what will serve you best, even if it's not popular.
I think the way I have it is mode 3??? And my cyclic stick is on the left? The right is just throttle and tail rotor, no?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
I think the way I have it is mode 3??? And my cyclic stick is on the left? The right is just throttle and tail rotor, no?
That is odd, but better than mode 1. You will want to figure this out before getting too far in
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:56 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,014 Posts
Quote:
The stock dx6i doesn't come mode 3. I fly mode 3 and had to buy a Dx7s because it offers mode 1-4 switching. So someone must have modded your dx6i. Maybe if you open it up you will see their mod, and maybe it's easily reversible. Like if it was just the original wire harnesses spliced and connected to reverse sides of the board.

I tried to switch to mode2 soon after I already started flying, but all the training I already did before that was mode3 so I was pretty much stuck with it, and very dumb thumbed with mode2. But if you're just starting out in the hobby, I suggest going with mode2, as it's what most people run and you'll be able to benefit from watching what others are doing with the sticks on videos and wherever else. Plus, most transmitters only come mode1 or mode2, so it kind of limits your options of future purchases. It made me spend more than I wanted to on the Dx7s, than if I would have bought the dx6i mode2.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
Ok I'll re explain.
I have bought a dx6i to use on Phoenix 4 software to learn basic heli flying before I spend a fortune on going out to crash new helis.
Now my dx6i has the throttle lever on the right thumb. The left had the elevator control and the tail rotor yaw. So far so good. My googling identifies this as mode 2? However, whilst playing around with basic setting config in Phoenix4 I have been able to make the right stick throttle and yaw. And the left stick cyclic left,right,up,down control. Much easier to control. My googling finds that this is mode 3. Ppl say dx6i cannot do this so I have bought a modded one? However, I didn't, this is brand new out of the box... Any ideas? Am I gonna be able to run my current setup on my first real heli?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
no you just moved the channels around which is fine for the sim MIGHT be an issue later with swash mixing
note you could use FBL setup and move the channels around just like the sim
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
FBL setup?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
flybarless since most use a setup like with the sim of a single servo for pitch
you could use a beast + RX and just swap the channels like you did in the sim just with physical cables
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
FBL setup?
Ok do us a favor... go into a new airplane model and clear it just to make sure the defaults are set. Then go into the servo monitor screen, wiggle each stick and tell us which item moves in the servo monitor. I'm starting to think you have a normal mode 1 radio but you mapped some of the channels wrong.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,969 Posts
Can we keep The Phoenix Simulator Flight School thread a flight school thread?
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
Ah yes! My bad. Am new to forums
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:27 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Ah yes! My bad. Am new to forums
continued here... I'm sorry I didn't advise you to do this right away, I thought the issue would be solved in a couple posts.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742577
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Would you be willing to take someone who has AFPD and not PRC?
j35u5fr34k is online now Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k