HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Hi Everyone

I just got my first lesson from CaptJac. It lasted 2 hours and seemed like 15 minutes. It went so fast that didn't even know we had covered so much.

I am probably a little older than the normal person learning to fly a heli. I'm in my sixtys but wanted to learn and no one in my area flew helis. They alll wanted me to fly planes. Nothing doing. Seemed like they wouldn't be as much of a challange to learn.

Jack is extremely patient and I feel knows more about this Phoenix sim than the people who make it. He could answer any question instantly and on a level I could understand. He never minded even the dumb questions.

We covered a lot on setting up the Phoenix which is extremely important so you can learn. The program comes setup for 3D flying and if you are a beginner, then it is pretty hard to learn on. We then changed the settings for the Trex 500 and then gave me my lessons to work on for the next session.

I got more info from him in the 2 hours then could've learned on my own in 2 months of trail and error. And sure it would have been more error and bad habits learned. So if you are thinking about doing the class with Jack, do it for sure. The system he has for communicating with you and the walks thrus in great.

Thanks Jack. Can see now that you are a true teacher at heart.

Ghostrunner
Ghostrunner59 is offline Find More Posts by Ghostrunner59
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
266 Posts
Greetings CaptJack,

My PM’s don’t seem to be connecting, so I will use the forum. I have done all my homework as per your reply , and am ready for the next time that is convenient for you.... Thanks.
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
266 Posts
I had my first session with Captain Jack today. Anyone who is trying to fly a heli will know that it’s a big learning curve and it’s easy to get hung up on a detail or get into a bad habit . I don’t have easy access to a flying club so have made do with Phoenix Sim and a lot of reading. I hit a wall in learning terms and crashed my 450 heli a few times and almost gave it up. (Thank you China for making it cheap to repair, although I suspect that a faulty HK gyro has caused me a few of my problems.)

Captain Jack is a born teacher and his style is relaxed but very focused and he is feedback cuts through to what you need to learn. Phoenix is set up perfectly now and I’m relieved that I can focus in the next step and make some progress. If you are thinking about it, go for it and talk to the captain.
Thanks Captain Jack...
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:53 PM
Helicopter_Newbie_MD
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Interested in Flying Lessons using Pheonix Simulator

Dear Capt. Jack,

I am interested in becoming one of your students. How do I get started? I have Skype and Pheonix V4 installed on my PC and I own a headset.

Thanks for your help,

Matthew Toll
matthew.toll83@gmail.com
mattius83 is offline Find More Posts by mattius83
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:22 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattius83 View Post
Dear Capt. Jack, I am interested in becoming one of your students. How do I get started?
Check your msg box - info sheet has just arrived!

Please note: Effective immediately - the flight school has relocated the base of operations to Florida for 2 months - re-opening is projected for Sept 10th. Notice will be posted on this thread when operations resume. Thank you for your patience.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Hangar is open again !!

A little delay getting operational again - meaning I been playing instead of working but got the heli pushed out to the heli-pad finally and ready for spin-up. Scratch a msg on this post or my msg box and will get you on the schedule board. I forgot to bring the flight school roster so make sure to include your Skype name so I can connect the dots!

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:31 AM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
618 Posts
I am having trouble getting my radio set up to allow autorotation in Phoenix. I have Throttle Hold and Throttle Cut and Normal/Stunt switches working with Phoenix 4.0.m

My radio is a DX6i. I am flying the Trex 500 model in Sport Mode.

When I switch to TH even though I put the heli in a healthy descent rate the blades stop and then the heli flys like an underpowered anvil.

I unmapped the keyboard key that I was using to go to idle up(stunt mode). I had to do this to make the switch work. Same with the TH switch. I unmapped the "H" key. Governor mode in the sim is disabled. The pitch curve on the main rotor in the sim is -3, 0, +9. I don't know how to disable that curve and use the one in the radio. Under options in the sim the use preset Throttle Curve is checked. I think that means use a curve from the sim.

Any comments, concerns, criticisms are welcome.

Thanks,

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
618 Posts
Another question I have, Is there any way to set an audible reminder that fuel is getting low. I set the parameter in physical to give me 10 minutes of fuel. When that ten minutes is up the heli falls from the sky. I do use the timer widget but it does not make any noise. I would like to set an audible reminder if possible.

An external cooking timer might be my only option.

RWW
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
I am having trouble getting my radio set up to allow autorotation in Phoenix. I have Throttle Hold and Throttle Cut and Normal/Stunt switches working with Phoenix 4.0.m

My radio is a DX6i. I am flying the Trex 500 model in Sport Mode.

When I switch to TH even though I put the heli in a healthy descent rate the blades stop and then the heli flys like an underpowered anvil.

I unmapped the keyboard key that I was using to go to idle up(stunt mode). I had to do this to make the switch work. Same with the TH switch. I unmapped the "H" key. Governor mode in the sim is disabled. The pitch curve on the main rotor in the sim is -3, 0, +9. I don't know how to disable that curve and use the one in the radio. Under options in the sim the use preset Throttle Curve is checked. I think that means use a curve from the sim.

Any comments, concerns, criticisms are welcome.

Thanks,

RWW
Did you try using the built-in settings for the DX6i?

What I do is set my radio in "1-servo" swash plate mode (helicopter mode) - this causes your radio to send pitch, throttle, aileron, elevator, and rudder as separate and independent channels. Then you need to map those channels to the helicopter functions in the simulator. Unclick the "use preset curves" thing - you want to use the curves from your radio.

Quote:
Another question I have, Is there any way to set an audible reminder that fuel is getting low. I set the parameter in physical to give me 10 minutes of fuel. When that ten minutes is up the heli falls from the sky. I do use the timer widget but it does not make any noise. I would like to set an audible reminder if possible.

An external cooking timer might be my only option.

RWW
Other than using the timer on your radio, no. That's realistic. With fuel helis we just come and hover for a second and we look at the tank. After a while, you get a feel for how long your aircraft flies - I'm usually on a landing approach when my timer goes off.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:02 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Kinlochleven
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Hi CaptJac, I think i need more of your excellent tuition I would like to go on the schedule again for lesson 2. When it suits you, i will accomodate. I await your call master
Kayakinggraham is offline Find More Posts by Kayakinggraham
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Did you try using the built-in settings for the DX6i?

What I do is set my radio in "1-servo" swash plate mode (helicopter mode) - this causes your radio to send pitch, throttle, aileron, elevator, and rudder as separate and independent channels. Then you need to map those channels to the helicopter functions in the simulator. Unclick the "use preset curves" thing - you want to use the curves from your radio.

Other than using the timer on your radio, no. That's realistic. With fuel helis we just come and hover for a second and we look at the tank. After a while, you get a feel for how long your aircraft flies - I'm usually on a landing approach when my timer goes off.
I was just flying my sim when the Senior Moment cloud cleared and I thought to my self, use the timer on the radio you old guy you!!!!

I will uncheck the preset curves and set up pitch curves in the radio. I am doing the other stuff with the radio channels. A CaptJac lesson got me on the right trail there.

Thanks Jasmine!

RWW
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
618 Posts
I did as Jasmine suggested and it looks like the radio curve modifies what is set in the pitch parameters of the main rotor config table. I still can't autorotate from altitude with the pitch set as it is. I tried with the 700e set up in 3D mode and I was somewhat successful, managing a safe landing about 50% of my attempts. Right now I am leaning toward "I don't know what I am doing" when attempting to auto down with the 500. In Training mode I am almost 100% successful with the 500. I will experiment some more later tonight.

RWW
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:13 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
I did as Jasmine suggested and it looks like the radio curve modifies what is set in the pitch parameters of the main rotor config table. I still can't autorotate from altitude with the pitch set as it is. I tried with the 700e set up in 3D mode and I was somewhat successful, managing a safe landing about 50% of my attempts. Right now I am leaning toward "I don't know what I am doing" when attempting to auto down with the 500. In Training mode I am almost 100% successful with the 500. I will experiment some more later tonight.

RWW
You could be using too much negative pitch - common issue with autorotation. Think about a propeller with lots of twist in it, and how it goes slower in the wind than a propeller with more flat blades... heli blades are the same way - the more pitch you put in, the slower it will go, but there's a balancing point because if you don't have enough negative pitch, there is no reason for the blades to keep turning. I find that about 25% negative is good for the glide portion, but as you come down lower, reduce that a little bit and if you have airspeed, you will see the blades speed up and the descent rate slow. It is easier to hear this on real helicopters than to see it on the simulator, and Phoenix is not exactly accurate in terms of auto-rotation. It's a little easier to auto the Phoenix helis than real ones - could be my altitude though.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:53 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
You could be using too much negative pitch - common issue with autorotation. Think about a propeller with lots of twist in it, and how it goes slower in the wind than a propeller with more flat blades... heli blades are the same way - the more pitch you put in, the slower it will go, but there's a balancing point because if you don't have enough negative pitch, there is no reason for the blades to keep turning. I find that about 25% negative is good for the glide portion, but as you come down lower, reduce that a little bit and if you have airspeed, you will see the blades speed up and the descent rate slow. It is easier to hear this on real helicopters than to see it on the simulator, and Phoenix is not exactly accurate in terms of auto-rotation. It's a little easier to auto the Phoenix helis than real ones - could be my altitude though.
I have the pitch curve set to -4 degrees on the Trex 500 model that I am using. Do you know how much negative is provided by the sim when you go into the auto training mode? I bet you can see it if the flight info screen is up. I will have to check on that. I know that once you are in training mode the sim does not check for the status of the TH or Idle Up switches. In the training mode I will flatten the blades to as close to 0 degrees as I can get them. You can hear the difference from when you have 0 to when you have negative on the blades. With negative the blades are farting a little bit and when I flatten 'em that stops and the glide path lengthens. i don't even come close to hitting the target. At this point in my learning I am content with just getting it down without the crunch.

RWW
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:48 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
618 Posts
OK, I think I have it figured out. When you go into the training mode the sim does not alter any of the setting in the configuration for the model you are flying. I was wrong about the pitch curve in the radio modifying the pitch curve in the config. IT does not do ANYTHING to the pitch curve. I set a curve of 100 across the board and got a pitch change representative to the curve in the config. I set a pitch curve of 0 across the board and got a change representative to the curve in the config. I set a linear pitch curve in the radio and got the same pitch change as with 0 and 100. So the DX6i radio does not alter the pitch curve in the config.

When you go into the training mode the sim does not look at TH or Idle Up switches. They can be in either position and the model flys. Thaat tells me the sim could care less about a throttle curve while in training. I do have the "Use Preset THROTTLE Curve" box unchecked.

It looks to me that the heli needs to have plenty of airspeed in order for autorotate to work. Am I correct in that assumption? It looks like the heli has a speed of at least 35mph in the training mode.

If I let it come down with -4 degrees on the blades it slams down in the target circle in the 8 ring. If I flatten the blades it goes WAY long and I risk running out of blade speed before I get it down.

I am going to try a 500 set for 3D blade pitch and see what happens. My guess is it will come down WAY short of the target if I don't touch the stick? Any wagers?

RWW