SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Never heard anything from you - knew you were working on your headset.
Check your msg box - info packet awaits.
Sorry about that. Got your PM and have tried to reply to it but doesn't seem to send anything to you. So gonna attach it here

Gonna try this again. Tried replying to this earlier and just now checked back to see if you had answered and can't even see where I had sent anything. So don't know if you got it or it didn't go thru.

I have uploaded your book already and had already been reading it. So have that taken care of.

I have the Phoenix program loaded and updated so that is done.

I have Skype loaded on my computer and Iphone so that is done. I have sent a request contact to you. So it is done.

I have only the controller that came with the Phoenix, so if it works fine if not let me know and will get one ASAP. Been looking at the DX6i. I was gonna wait till got some hours and experience on the sim before I went out and bought a heli. I just decided wasn't gonna put the cart before the horse and more then likely wreck it.

The date you said is good if still available.
Ghostrunner59 is offline Find More Posts by Ghostrunner59
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Hi CaptJac,

I too have found that my replies to you did not go through to you re my time setup for the 17th July. Have again tried to PM you today and still no joy, given that I was trying to change the date for the 17th to the 20th this may not occur.
I am all setup and ready to go but I can only do it on a Friday evening your time due to the time difference here in Aust.

Regards
AllanP
pembo is offline Find More Posts by pembo
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Hey Jack,

Have again replied to you pm from yesterday and also sent you a pm via skype assumming that i had the right one. let me know if you recieved any of them. would also like the booking for 27th if still available

Regards
Allan Pemberton
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:50 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Hello Captjack! I'm looking to get a schooling from the master. I currently have a copy (legal) of PFS v4. I don't have a Spekrum radio but do have a Turnigy 9x on the way that I will flash within 2 weeks of receiving it. Can I get on the schedule even though I have this particular radio? I can fly 4ch co-axs no problem but still need to really practice orientation more. I have a micro fp heli on the way. Please get back to me when you have a chance. Thanks!
SymAiha is offline Find More Posts by SymAiha
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:08 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SymAiha View Post
Hello Captjack! I'm looking to get a schooling from the master. I currently have a copy (legal) of PFS v4. I don't have a Spekrum radio but do have a Turnigy 9x on the way that I will flash within 2 weeks of receiving it. Can I get on the schedule even though I have this particular radio? I can fly 4ch co-axs no problem but still need to really practice orientation more. I have a micro fp heli on the way. Please get back to me when you have a chance. Thanks!
You can find the list of compatible radios for Phoenix here - Turnigy does not appear to be one of them. If you got it to work then you should be good-to-go for the training. Check your msg box for getting on the schedule board.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
The Starship Guy
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2012
39 Posts
Heli Classes

Hello CaptJac...

I'm 63 and retired. I just purchased a Trex 500ESP. I have a Spektrum DX6i and purchased Phoenix 4.0.

The DX6i was set up by an experienced hobby store rep; he flew it for me after setting up, etc., and it flew beautifully - nice and steady.

I've attached training gear. I've done one battery "on the ground" moving left and right, and the heli wants to keep moving to the left - tail in position.

I set up the DX6i on the SIM - everything is operational; all controls function properly. The Trex 500 is terribly "touchy." I instantly flew the Passenger Chinook (4 rotors) without any problems - no matter what orientation.

But that Trex - that's another story. Just as in my real trial on the ground, it wants to instantly travel left - trim adjustment appears to be fruitless. After reading about 10 setups for "beginners," I have my controls on the sim set as follows:

Throttle: 1=0%, 2=45%, 3=65%, 4=82.5%, 5=100%
Pitch: 1=28% (0rpm -1.8deg), 2=30% (770rpm -1.2deg), 3=50% (1550rpm +5.0), 4=75% (2100rpm +8.5deg), 5=100% (2300rpm 10.0deg)

She lifts off at setting 3+ with 1700rpm and 6.0deg pitch.
I set it up this way (from reading recommendations) so as to not have the rotors turn too high, thinking this would slow down sensitivity.

Well, there is almost no control here, after lift off...She instantly travels to the left and forward. No amount of trimming helps. Any recommendations on how to set the pitch and roll sticks to make them less sensitive at center...?

Are you still having classes, and when is your next class...?

Thanks...Christoph
ChristophG is offline Find More Posts by ChristophG
Last edited by ChristophG; Jul 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Christoph, you can not do the RADD training with flybarless helicopters. It is also somewhat irrelevant now that we use tail gyros and you don't have to fly the tail. Your heading doesn't change enough for that to be worthwhile. That's why simulators are so important these days, because modern helicopters don't like to skitter around on the ground or be tethered. They fly great with training balls though.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Hi Christoph - best keep your 500 grounded until you have a little sim time on it. Terribly "touchy" and moving to the left is normal for tail rotor helis. The good news is a few hours on the sim and you'll be nice and steady - even though that may seem impossible right now. Can you do it? Not only can you do it but you will be doing it after 1 training - or I'll eat my wings! A lot of students can attest to that - and that's not flapping my own wings! The flight school is in it's 3rd year - hundreds of students have preceded you. Did he say hundreds?

Flight school is open and the info sheet for getting on the roster is in your msg box.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
first seesion

Hi all,

After reading through this thread I decided to have a look at CaptJac's flight school, and all I can say is after just completing my first session with him this morning is woow. It was 1:45 min online with skype and we covered the phoenix setup of the helicopter in great detail. Everything was explained in depth and if you are like me and don't fully understand some of the concepts in heli setup these are explained and you get to see visually what effect these setting have on the stick movements. There is a minimal cost of $9.00 to purchase his online book which again is worthwhile reading for the basics and gets you ready for the first session. I can only say if you are having some dramas with you flight and using the sim Jack will get you heli sim setup as close to real flight as the sim.
Thanks Jack you have given me a much better understanding of the inner working of phoenix and look forward to continuing my experience with you.
Regards
AllanP
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,809 Posts
Delete
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
That PZ spit 9 is a lovely plane to fly and can fly quite slowly. I fitted the optional retracts on mine but you definitely need a hard surface. I find it flies easier in real life than in the sim. Just remember when you have landed to keep a lot of up elevator on to keep the tailwheel on the ground which prevents it nosing over.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,809 Posts
Delete
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:38 PM
Australia, NSW, Cremorne
Joined Jul 2012
6 Posts
Hi All
Just had my first lesson with CaptJac all the way down here in Sydney Australia.
I am brand new to this hobby and all I can say is Wow what a blast.
CaptJac was so so nice and patient and went through a lot of stuff with me. Almost 2.5 hours I think.
My head was spinning faster than the heli in the end but all was good.
It is so helpful to have people like CaptJac to give you confidence and goals to strive for.
I feel like I am back at school. Unfortunately he gives homework as well.
I've got a lot of work to do. Hope it doesn't take too long because I'm really keen to start lesson 2.
Thanks again CaptJac I'll be back hope you will be too.
Solly from down under.
Solly747 is offline Find More Posts by Solly747
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:37 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Kinlochleven
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
2nd Lesson

Hi CaptJac,

Well i am loving this new helicopter life of mine and boy is it a challenge!! I am off to Turkey for two long weeks of well earned rest.

I am looking to get a space on the rota for some more excellent coaching/update on what i am doing wrong and correcting it

I return from my holiday around the 23rd, so looking for a possible space any night on the week begining the 27th if you have a place?

By then i will be two weeks without my sim (Mrs wont let me take it on holiday)

So i may need a wee nudge on takeoff by then. Hope all is well with you.
kind regards
Graham
Kayakinggraham is offline Find More Posts by Kayakinggraham
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:25 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
hi,
had my first session with CaptJac last night and my my, did i have a blast! Very entertaining, very friendly and very patient! We set everything up correctly (including setting up the trex 500 in non-3D mode for training purposes which was great) and got a the take-off and hovering part going very well. I feel very confident to do my homework and will definitely be sheduling another session soon.

For the small investment of the e-book, you get a helluvalot of value in return!
thanks again from Belgium !
belblade is offline Find More Posts by belblade