HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:28 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
I have had two sessions with CaptJac and he has offered his help without charge sine his payment comes in the form of helping others get into the hobby.

While I had Phoenix up and running, CaptJac helped me set it up correctly and got me going on easier way to learn the basics.

Anyone who needs help getting Phoenix set up or starting out with hovering and forward flight should contact CaptJac.
JamieB is offline Find More Posts by JamieB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:52 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
My students are doing a GREAT job teaching me!! Another 100 hours and I'll have this down to a science. What I thought would take weeks is really being learned in a couple of sessions. Phoenix is an incredibly powerful training tool and when used in the multiplayer mode with Skype - provides a learning platform that is every bit as real as being out on a flying field - and in fact may even be better because it can be adjusted to match the ability of the student. Nose-in hovering making your head spin? Trying to do smooth coordinated turns but keep falling out of the sky? Loosing orientation when it gets too far away? Join the crowd!! I'm still taking new students. Not sure how much longer though before my wife divorces me.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:40 PM
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Jul 2010
39 Posts
first heli LESSON today!!

By chance well doing a search for how to fix my hm ufly i stumbled on this site!! I book marked the site and continued to look around for some more info but found rcgroups to be the most informative! So i signed up for an account. I am always trying to find more info on how to become a proficient beginner pilot and master the craft of RC Heli's. I currently own to fixed pitch heli's the hm ufly and novus fp. I can fly my little novus around the house not to bad but still find myself spending hours an hours on my computer flyin with "PHOENIX RC SIM". The second post i found at rcgroups was CaptJac thread offering heli lessons online. Without even giving it much thought, i fired him a message right away explaining that i had phoenix but did not have skype or a headset. Before CaptJac even had a chance to respond i was already in the car and on my way to purchase a good quality headset. I got home installed the software spent the next 2 hours figuring out the dam headset LOL and then i got skype and figured that out. 2 days ago i asked CaptJac if he would give me lessons and when he responded to me that he would i just need to get the required headset and skype i responded back to him that i had already gotten everything. I spend countless hours on phoenix since i cannot work right now due to a back injury from a car accident. When i am not flying i am researching helicopter theory and anything related. I had several questions i mailed to CaptJac, that have been to be quite honest driving me insane trying to figure out. Within minutes of being online with CaptJac he got me started at properly setting up a raptor 450. I learned more today being online with him then i have in the past 2 months. Phoenix is quite an indepth program and seeing as i am new to the hobby i found it to be very intimidating. I would just go in and try to fly the lessons in there with the default settings of the helicopter. I had absolutely zero understanding of how the throttle stick can control the pitch as well as the throttle. But within 20 minutes CaptJac had given me the perfect understanding of how to use it with and without idle up. The amount of tips and advice he gave me would take all day to mention. I think my first lesson was more like lessons 1,2 and 3 as i was very prepaired for this. I have studied anything and everything i can get my hands on. I feel the lessons learned today will really help me to push my beginner level skills to the next level in weeks. I also got some quick tips on 3d flying and inverted flight and how to set my heli up for flight training and more agressive flying!! I would have paid money without hesitation for lessons of this caliber it was totally kickass!! With phoenix, skype and CaptJac all working together this was a flawless way to teach a beginner some terms some technical aspects and helicopter setup as well as hover training and some basic 3d flying!!!! I will be back for more lessons in the coming weeks!!! Thats a Promise. If you need the help and got the time id recommend giving this a shot. I now feel alot more comfortable in my knowledge and i can gaurantee it will show in my skills in the coming weeks!! Thanks again CaptJac H-I
heli-insane is offline Find More Posts by heli-insane
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:44 PM
Joined May 2006
369 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you use Skype? I believe there are options in Phoenix for live conversations in online mode. Is Skype better for some reason?
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:48 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
Phoenix voice has delay and not even close to the quality of Skype.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:13 PM
SR 120,T28D Trojan,F4U Corsair
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2010
40 Posts
Not to mention the privacy and the ability to still communicate with the volume of the simulator set to a minimal level. Trying to talk over engine noise is quite irritating.
MercMan007 is offline Find More Posts by MercMan007
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:07 AM
United States, CO, Vail
Joined Apr 2008
69 Posts
If anyone is on the fence or just considering contacting Capt Jack, you should do it ! I had a lesson with him a day ago and WOW. Just a few pointers and I progressed more within a few minutes than I have in the past few weeks.

I am in a very rural area without anyone to help train. Jack is a good teacher and very helpful.
Henry Bowman is offline Find More Posts by Henry Bowman
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:34 PM
Joined Feb 2009
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
My students are doing a GREAT job teaching me!! Another 100 hours and I'll have this down to a science. What I thought would take weeks is really being learned in a couple of sessions. Phoenix is an incredibly powerful training tool and when used in the multiplayer mode with Skype - provides a learning platform that is every bit as real as being out on a flying field - and in fact may even be better because it can be adjusted to match the ability of the student. Nose-in hovering making your head spin? Trying to do smooth coordinated turns but keep falling out of the sky? Loosing orientation when it gets too far away? Join the crowd!! I'm still taking new students. Not sure how much longer though before my wife divorces me.

captJac
Hello CaptJac,

I recently came across this thread while surfing the internet for info on how I can improve my rc heli flying skills. Am I ever glad I did. I've been flying helis now for just over a year and am still snailing along trying to get a hang of nose-in hovering. Tail-in hovering I do great... Or so I think. Side-in?????? Hmmm... Just OK. I have a fleet of helis as follows:

Exceed Falcon 40, eSky HBFP, HBCP2, HBCP3, Belt CP v1 partially modded, EXI 450-T SE, TRex 500 esp, Eflite Blade mSR. However, w/the exception of the mSR, my helis are basically just fancy bookends because I'm too afraid to crash'em. I'll bring the 500 down on occasion and hover it in the living room [no wind] tail in, only to put it back on the shelf after 5 minutes. My fiance is starting to crack jokes at me now, "What did you pay for that thing? And all it does is go up and down and crash?"

Anyhow, in short. I need help. Can you accept anymore students great heli sensei? I'll PM you with same message and some basic questions just in case you don't see this one.

Thanks
byter182 is offline Find More Posts by byter182
Old Aug 05, 2010, 03:49 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byter182 View Post
Hello CaptJac,

I recently came across this thread while surfing the internet for info on how I can improve my rc heli flying skills. Am I ever glad I did. I've been flying helis now for just over a year and am still snailing along trying to get a hang of nose-in hovering. Tail-in hovering I do great... Or so I think. Side-in?????? Hmmm... Just OK. My fiance is starting to crack jokes at me now, "What did you pay for that thing? And all it does is go up and down and crash?" Anyhow, in short. I need help. Can you accept anymore students great heli sensei?
Always room for another!! The training is FREE but the price is going to double with so many students!! Makes me proud to see how fast everyone progressing. Few more lessons and I'll even be able to fly the durn things!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Aug 05, 2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:22 AM
Milano
Joined Dec 2006
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Always room for another!! The training is FREE but the price is going to double with so many students!! Makes me proud to see how fast everyone progressing. Few more lessons and I'll even be able to fly the durn things!!
CaptJac, you are a Great Man...
FABOLO64 is offline Find More Posts by FABOLO64
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:23 AM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined May 2010
25 Posts
hey captjac. I switched from realflight to phoenix now... let me know if you can give me a schedule for some lessons.. thanks
iDocRich is offline Find More Posts by iDocRich
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:16 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDocRich View Post
hey captjac. I switched from realflight to phoenix now... let me know if you can give me a schedule for some lessons.. thanks
Welcome aboard Rich - glad to add you to the schedule board. Evenings (8:00-9:00 pm central european time) usually best for me. Sessions last about 90 minutes. Tomorrow and Monday are still open. Ready when you are.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:51 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
Fabolo - we all aspire to be great in something - but what I have been able to give to this hobby is hardly worth mentioning for what the hobby has given to me. Thank you for your kind words.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Sep 18, 2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:40 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Port Forwarding - Still a battle

CaptJac,

I'm still having trouble getting any computer to work reliably for training. I've now paid for assistance with PortForward.com and hopefully that can resolve the issues so we can have another lesson. I'm continuing to practice and will be in touch for my next online lesson.

Thanks again for the help during the past few weeks.

Rick
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Aug 07, 2010, 03:16 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
Hi Rick - sorry to hear you are still getting "firewalled". Been burned on that wall more than a few times myself. This probably a fire-drill for you by now but are you getting the green light for ports 26500 and 26505 when you run the PFportcheck program? Also might be worth an email to Phoenix support and describing your problem. Good luck - keep me advised ..

captJac
RCG Plus Member