HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:10 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM6VV View Post
Hi Jack, Your books on LuLu are e-books? I take it these are different from straight PDF files? Alan KM6VV
The eBooks are digital PDF files and require the Adobe Digital Reader software which is provided with the download. A little less inconvenient than the open PDF format but I'm afraid that's the price we have to pay for all the pirating on internet. Both books are also available in the iBook store for the iPad and Barnes and Nobles for the Nook. Have a great read!!

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:49 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I did a similar thing, and almost nobody responded except one person who didn't need training. One person was afraid to fly with me online until they got better. I tried to explain that you need the training only for a few sessions at the start, that's when you need it most. So, maybe people are just afraid to show you how lousy they are.

Please do not be like this! Nobody was born knowing how to fly helicopters, and humans have no instinct for it. There is no reason to expect to be able to fly without instruction, and no reason to be embarrassed about that fact.
Hi Jasmine - thanks for keeping the sign lit while I was gone and milk in the refrigerator. Didn't know how long my absence would be with the work I had in front of me - but knew it was going to be more than a few weeks and best be hanging a sign out. Didn't get much flying in for the 2 months I was gone (about 30 minutes with my 450 Sport) but at least got done what needed to get done. Airing out the hangar now and pushing the helis out to the helipad. The training roster filling fast - so there are students out there who got their mind set on learning even if they have to camp overnight in front of the hangar! School wise - would be good for the students and us teacher types - if there were more than one school with more than one simulator to choose from. Heli-Insane hanging his "instruction available" shingle outside his hangar - he hasn't named his school yet but think he is working on it. Maybe you guys can open a school under one roof? Fair warning though - once they start pouring in the door it hard to stop them. I also had to sideline mailing out the sample copies of my book - starting that up again and got trampled over before I even got the door open!!

Anyhow we are all having fun - some of us more than others. It's a great hobby - no denying that!! Expensive - yes. Time consuming - yes. Challenging - yes. Frustrating at times - yes. But sure a LOT OF FUN!! Good luck - happy flying - and hope you getting your share!!

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
203 Posts
Barnes and Nobles!

That could work! I drive by one on the way home.

Thanks!

Alan KM6VV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
The eBooks are digital PDF files and require the Adobe Digital Reader software which is provided with the download. A little less inconvenient than the open PDF format but I'm afraid that's the price we have to pay for all the pirating on internet. Both books are also available in the iBook store for the iPad and Barnes and Nobles for the Nook. Have a great read!!

captJac
KM6VV is offline Find More Posts by KM6VV
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:28 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,002 Posts
I have been asked a number of occasions what is the cost of the Phoenix Simulator Flight School? Answer: It is FREE. It has always been FREE. Being able to help and watching students learn is my payment in full.

Do you need my book to join? I recommend downloading my eBook Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQs 102 as a study guide. There is a lot to learn and usually half of the time spent in the sessions is discussing basic concepts that glues everything together. There tends to be a lot of missing pieces when you are "building your own" and things falls apart faster than you can put them together when you using the wrong glue.

The Phoenix Flight School has been running since April 2010 and a LOT of students have gone through those hangar doors. There are no prerequisites. Beginners are welcome. If you have gotten lost reading all the posts from past students - click on this link < to go back to the start page and learn what you need to get on the roster. Drop a line in my msg box if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them ASAP.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Mar 25, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:46 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,002 Posts
PSFS - Phoenix Simulator Flight School -

If you in the holding pattern and wondering if you can fly one of them bad-boys like a 450 or 500 or 550 - why not take a test flight and see for yourself before jumping in over your head? The Phoenix simulator provides as close to a real-life experience and feel and control as real-life. It is a SERIOUS training tool and will save you countless hours of frustration - crashes - and the usual parts casualties. After your first hour of training you will be flying circles around Radd - I will bet my wings on it - and there are a lot of students who would bet their wings too!

The latest version - 4.0 - lets you climb INTO the cockpit and be looking out instead of in - best fasten your seat-belts though - and bring an airsick bag. There is also a "chase-plane" view so you can follow your helicopter when it diving into the ground!!

Scratch a few words on this post or in my message box - I'll send you an info sheet to get on the roster. Have a great training!!

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, FL
Joined Jul 2011
64 Posts
I don't have Phoenix flight sim, I have Clear View instead. I'm not sure it's worth the buy another one.
marsol is offline Find More Posts by marsol
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsol View Post
I don't have Phoenix flight sim, I have Clear View instead. I'm not sure it's worth the buy another one.
Well, do you want correct physics or is incorrect physics good enough for you?

IMO, beginners should start with the best possible stuff. Reducing variables is really important, and a bad simulator is definitely a variable that can be removed, for a price of course. However, I don't think it's as important as getting a quality helicopter. Many beginners try to learn with machines that aren't working correctly. I don't even understand why they try that. An expert has trouble with a broken helicopter, how is a beginner to be expected to use that as a learning tool?

So yeah, if you have to, spend your money on a quality helicopter and use the cheap simulator. Clearview will hurt you a lot less than trying to fly a cheap, broken helicopter.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, FL
Joined Jul 2011
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
IMO, beginners should start with the best possible stuff. .
I respect your comments, but it's difficult to find someone that knows what the "best stuff" is.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsol View Post
I respect your comments, but it's difficult to find someone that knows what the "best stuff" is.
It is the best stuff you can afford. In general, look at the prices. People will argue this until the cows come home, but IMO, the more expensive stuff is generally better. There's some notable exceptions, but if you're saving money now, you're probably going to pay later.

Mid-level stuff is generally good enough quality for a beginner, and any additional quality above that wouldn't be noticed by the average beginner. Trex, Mini-Titan, even Blade 400 is good enough.

The problem comes when you combine a bunch of low quality parts together. Beginners tend to see things in isolation - like, "is that a good servo?" - and they tend to miss the fact that "yes, it's a great servo for maybe the tail of a 12oz foamy airplane, but it's horrible for cyclic on a helicopter" or "yes, it's borderline unless you also use the long pushrods and then it will be over-torqued" or "that gyro works great with a Futaba servo, but sucks with anything else"

You will even see people defend their low quality choices with that kind of logic - "a plate of CF is a plate of CF, right?" - and that's kind of true until you realize that it's 0.2mm too big and needs to mate with a plastic part that is also 0.2mm too big... cutting corners on one thing is sometimes ok, but cutting corners on every part results in a low quality overall machine. Like, if I took every bolt out of your car and put in a lower quality bolt, it would still be the same car, right? But it would still fall apart too. That's what many beginners are doing to themselves lately - it wasn't possible a few years ago because the knock-off stuff was really crappy or didn't exist at all... but now you can buy a helicopter where they have shaved quality from every single part on the machine. Overall, it's a kind of crappy machine, but there isn't a huge quality difference you can point to and say "see, that's why it sucks!" because the quality problem is spread over the whole machine.

Do your best to avoid that situation by using name-brand parts purchased from your LHS. If you can't do that for whatever reason, accept that you're going to have a lower quality experience.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Last edited by jasmine2501; Apr 07, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Where is the best place to order Phoenix sim?
wguyth is offline Find More Posts by wguyth
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:38 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wguyth View Post
Where is the best place to order Phoenix sim?
HorizonHobby may be as good as any - they advertising $129.99 with free shipping.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...on-3-0-RTM3000
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, FL
Joined Jul 2011
64 Posts
Waiting for my copy of Phoenix to set it up and start practicing.
In the mean time, my mSR-X landed on the roof of the house pushed by a gust of wind and my lack of throttle control
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:11 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsol
my mSR-X landed on the roof of the house pushed by a gust of wind and my lack of throttle control
I heard there is an option you can add if you want to fly outdoors with a fixed pitch heli - it is called a ladder.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, FL
Joined Jul 2011
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
I heard there is an option you can add if you want to fly outdoors with a fixed pitch heli - it is called a ladder.
I know, thank God my neighbor has one, saving me some money
Last edited by marsol; Apr 11, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, FL
Joined Jul 2011
64 Posts
mSR-X

Today is my 2nd. day practicing hovering with my mSR-X, I was happy with the results, mainly because I had no damage.
The hovers didn't last long.
From now on, I'll be practicing in my garage, where I made a great heli-pad.