HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:39 AM
United States, TN, Dyer
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
Sorry for getting back so late after posting RaiDar trying to figure out how to read the post as well fly...Well I have been reading everything I can, using the Phoenix Sim and trying to learn the set up on the DX6i for my MSR and the sim as well...
Yes a big learning curve and a couple of repairs later still working on it, bought some training gear for the 400 when I get ready to it ...not there yet...on the sim I have issues I believe on the set up with the DX6i so I will investigate more on that...any help on either would be appreciated...
With the MSR the hoover is improving well, yet pushing the envelope and crashing but learning all the same. Doing small circle circuits trying to keep it level and flying where I want it too.
Just wanted to say thanks for your comments and sorry for being so long about doing it...
oldmanmsr is offline Find More Posts by oldmanmsr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:26 AM
Cfly100
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Hi Captjac,

I have PM'd you but just wanted to let you know I would like to take your Heli Course and buy your books. How do I get started.

Thanks,

Chris
Cfly100 is offline Find More Posts by Cfly100
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfly100 View Post
Hi Captjac,

I have PM'd you but just wanted to let you know I would like to take your Heli Course and buy your books. How do I get started.

Thanks,

Chris
Plus 1
JBake is offline Find More Posts by JBake
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:55 PM
Canada, AB, St. Paul
Joined Jun 2011
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanmsr View Post
Sorry for getting back so late after posting RaiDar trying to figure out how to read the post as well fly...Well I have been reading everything I can, using the Phoenix Sim and trying to learn the set up on the DX6i for my MSR and the sim as well...
Yes a big learning curve and a couple of repairs later still working on it, bought some training gear for the 400 when I get ready to it ...not there yet...on the sim I have issues I believe on the set up with the DX6i so I will investigate more on that...any help on either would be appreciated...
With the MSR the hoover is improving well, yet pushing the envelope and crashing but learning all the same. Doing small circle circuits trying to keep it level and flying where I want it too.
Just wanted to say thanks for your comments and sorry for being so long about doing it...
Give this thread a chkout oldmanmsr > http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=629

Cheers
RaiDar is online now Find More Posts by RaiDar
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
I hope he comes back. I can really use some help...
JBake is offline Find More Posts by JBake
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
My wifes other child
United States, NE, Palisade
Joined Dec 2011
45 Posts
Training

Sounds fun and I can use a little extra help. I started with a toy then a msr then a blade sr. I can fly the msr very well but the 2 times I got the sr in a hover I crashed it costing $100 in repares so I bought the sim. I seem to be able to fly the sim ok so wonder if its setup relisticaly ?
rbk180 is offline Find More Posts by rbk180
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:55 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,684 Posts
Seems you have left a few pilots stranded, Captain?
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, TN, Dyer
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
well i have the Phonix sim and yes I have played every craft available just to try it out. I do tend to go to the larger heli's just so I can see them yet...what a learning curve..
Finally last night I got the 400 to hoover, well somewhat. I dont think I have my DX6i set up right but am experimenting with that now to see if that makes a difference.
remember i am new to this and my mind goes one way while the bird flys another way, too much hunting birds I think..LOL...anyway I realize the sim is most intriguing, pick it up, put it down, etc..
Now one question well maybe more but I am using an old laptop where the sim does work ok, I want to when I travel hook my laptop up to the new TV's in the hotels I stay in. A lot of them have HDMI or USB connections. Any help on how to hook them up would be appreciated so I can see the bigger picture. Laptop information - old Toshiba Elitebook 8740 Windows XP

oldmanmsr
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:49 AM
Canada, AB, St. Paul
Joined Jun 2011
469 Posts
Quote:
A lot of them have HDMI or USB connections. Any help on how to hook them up would be appreciated so I can see the bigger picture. Laptop information - old Toshiba Elitebook 8740 Windows XP

oldmanmsr

mmk, my experience/opinion - most hotel TV's are intentionally difficult to hook up to and very very few will have a VGA hookup which is what you will need with a notebook of that vintage. i don't think a usb connection will give you video out.

probably your most useful solution would be to buy a decent monitor(~ $150) & tote bag and haul it along with you.

another possibility would be to buy a new laptop with an hdmi video connection.

Hope that helps a bit, cheers
RaiDar is online now Find More Posts by RaiDar
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Quote:
well i have the Phonix sim and yes I have played every craft available just to try it out. I do tend to go to the larger heli's just so I can see them yet...what a learning curve..
Finally last night I got the 400 to hoover, well somewhat. I dont think I have my DX6i set up right but am experimenting with that now to see if that makes a difference.
remember i am new to this and my mind goes one way while the bird flys another way, too much hunting birds I think..LOL...anyway I realize the sim is most intriguing, pick it up, put it down, etc..
Now one question well maybe more but I am using an old laptop where the sim does work ok, I want to when I travel hook my laptop up to the new TV's in the hotels I stay in. A lot of them have HDMI or USB connections. Any help on how to hook them up would be appreciated so I can see the bigger picture. Laptop information - old Toshiba Elitebook 8740 Windows XP

oldmanmsr
I can't find any information on a "Toshiba EliteBook 8740" or variation thereof. "Elitebook" is a HP/Compaq laptop line, and the only thing from Toshiba that seems to have 8740 in its model number is a battery.

Regardless, your laptop probably has a VGA output (15 pin d-sub connector). In hotels that provide a "breakout box" for the connection of laptops and other hardware, a VGA input isn't uncommon. It is becoming relatively rare on new TVs, though, with the move of most consumer video technology to HDMI or DisplayPort.

There are VGA to HDMI converters; something like this may serve your purpose.

There's normally a keyboard shortcut for enabling the VGA output; a combination of the "Fn" key and a function key on the top row. You may have to press it repeatedly if you want both the external display (TV) and the laptop display on at the same time.

Don't expect glorious widescreen HD, though . . . older laptops supported limited display resolutions and you'll likely wind up with a 4:3 aspect ratio "pillar-boxed" on a 16:9 display, or the 4:3 image stretched horizontally to fill the screen.
Dodge DeBoulet is offline Find More Posts by Dodge DeBoulet
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiDar View Post
mmk, my experience/opinion - most hotel TV's are intentionally difficult to hook up to and very very few will have a VGA hookup which is what you will need with a notebook of that vintage.
That really depends on the class of hotel. Business-oriented hotels (Hilton Garden Inn, Marriott Courtyard/Renaissance/FS, Westin, etc.) will have VGA and HDMI inputs, while the Motel 6's, Red Roof Inns and Suisse Chalets won't.
Dodge DeBoulet is offline Find More Posts by Dodge DeBoulet
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, TN, Dyer
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
Thanks, actually I did not give the correct information, mistake #1, Toshiba R-15 S822
This is all temporary as the Elitebook HP is what I am using now but since its company computer can not add the Phoenix software. Wow it was early when I asked the questions and did not think...OK now that I have got that straightened out or really you did Dodge
was not expecting HD picture but one larger, yet when I do get this laptop its 19" screen is larger than the Toshiba and it may not be an issue like it is now.
Thanks to both you Dodge and Rai for responding, helps keep me in check.
The sim is great yet has been frustrating too, in the learning curver. pick it up, put it down type of thing.
Teaching an old dog new tricks is like leading the horse to water, actually you can do both with a lot of patience, given and taken...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
yay

sign me up

pm sent
Luzer is offline Find More Posts by Luzer
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:20 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
I've taken a long break from flying helis and recently i thought i'd get back to it. As always with neglect of practice, my flying skills have dropped. So now I thought i'd get back on the whores, and start practicing again on the sim. anyways it's not much it's a very basic flight, so heres my work in progress on the trex 250 sim

http://vimeo.com/37850397
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:34 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Welp I managed to do a 5 min sim today! Sim practice 4 times a week. 5 mins at a time.
5 mins of sim a day seems to be enuff for me. my shaky thumb is not helping, i seem to put too much pitch at times.

http://vimeo.com/37998033
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp