SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:28 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,589 Posts
Hi Jack. PM'd and just updated my Phoenix to 2.5v. Ive been bogged on trying to do smooth figure 8's for nearly a year now
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2010, 11:00 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Hi Jack. PM'd and just updated my Phoenix to 2.5v. Ive been bogged on trying to do smooth figure 8's for nearly a year now
Hi Chris - message waiting in your in-box.
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:18 PM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Wow! Very cool idea!

I'm planning on picking up Phoenix relatively soon, so I may join you guys eventually.

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
Old Jun 09, 2010, 06:48 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb47 View Post
Sounds great!

Would it be possible for you to share some of those many small tips? Perhaps some of us could benefit?
Sorry I missed this post!

I don't really feel it's my place as the student to play the teacher, or lead anyone wrong, so I will defer to captJac to the instruction. But to give a little idea of some very small things I picked up..

1. Tips and tricks to setting up and using Phoenix, such as changing the gyro modes, using shift look viewing mode.

2. Hovering tail in with the tail at a slight angle, I used to do it with the tail straight at me, losing the tail boom as a great visual aid to the pitch.

3. Basic excersises to help fine tune basic transitions from hover, to slow forward flight, back to hover, to backward flight, to hover.

Again, it was much more helpful than just these, I just don't feel it's my place to give out advice, but these were just a few small items I picked up that I feel safe passing along. Jack is very patient and knowledgeable, if you are thinking of taking a lesson or two, give it a shot, everybody always has room to learn something!

Thanks again Jack, looking forward to our next session!
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:08 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
Wow! Very cool idea!

I'm planning on picking up Phoenix relatively soon, so I may join you guys eventually.

Brandon
Hi Brandon - glad to have you aboard - I'm learning as much as my students. Let me know when you ready to go and we'll schedule a session.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:53 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
learning while doing -

One lesson being learned by the student and teacher alike - muscle memory doesn't memorize from watching or talking. I can offer suggestions and make corrections to make it easier but the learning progression is solely dependent on hours of practice. I would estimate 10 hours of practice for every hour of instruction time to optimize the learning curve - some students need more - a few need less. How many hours does it take to before you can maintain a stable hover and turn 360 degrees and do basic forward flight? For sure it won't happen in a couple hours of instruction. 10 hours of practice time will start to show significant improvement. If you are starting from the beginning - I'd recommend supplementing your sim time with a coaxial for orientation training and depth perception. You hear a lot of comments about coaxials being too easy. I'll take too easy over too hard any time of the day. Learning requires small steps of success.

Initially my idea of starting up these flying lessons was to provide training on the Trex-500 for those who are just getting started. That may be a little too ambitious. The CX2 and the MSR are also excellent trainers. The Phoenix simulator is an incredible training tool but it's the pilot who has to do all the training. There are no short cuts - and in fact there are no long cuts. It takes a lot of time - practice - patience - repetition - and discipline - not necessarily in that order. Want to get started with the CX2 or MSR or Trex or ?? Drop a line in my message box to schedule a session.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Sep 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
I'm only doing 1-on-1 beginning training now but good idea to have a fly-in. How about starting a thread to organize a group multiplay session using Phoenix and Skype ? My hands are already full but I'm glad to co-pilot for anyone who wants to take the controls.
hi id love to join in ya group too whats involevd
ozmaniac is offline Find More Posts by ozmaniac
Old Jun 18, 2010, 03:03 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmaniac View Post
hi id love to join in ya group too whats involevd
A survey might be a good start to see how much interest there is. Drop a note in my message box if you like to kick some ideas around. Thanks for volunteering !!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Jun 18, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Jun 2010
28 Posts
Help in hovering

Thanks in advance for the help. I am new to RC Helicopters and trying to get better with the phoenix sim. I only have about four batteries of time on my trex 600, training gear, no lift off. Don't want to crash and fix yet.

When hovering in the sim I am trying to trim the helicopter (nitro trainer) to near stable hover. It is either sliding left or sliding right, no middle ground with the trims. Is that normal? I am also finding it difficult to hold the model still. I get get stuck in this back and forth and side to side action that seems to get farther and farther out of control. Do you really have to move the sticks around that much to keep it stable? I feel like I am trying to balance a marble on tray at some carnival game. I have expo'd the cyclic on the radio to make the centers less sensitive. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on signing up for skype and buying a head set in the next few weeks. Just looking for a little help in the interim.

Thanks again,

Ron
rcartiva is offline Find More Posts by rcartiva
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:34 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcartiva View Post
I get stuck in this back and forth and side to side action that seems to get farther and farther out of control. Do you really have to move the sticks around that much to keep it stable? I feel like I am trying to balance a marble on tray at some carnival game.
Hi Ron and welcome aboard. Congratulations on your discipline and keeping your magnificent machine grounded until you have built up some sim time. That approach will save you an enormous amount of frustration and money. The good news is the bigger the heli the more stable it is. The bad news is all helicopters are inherently unstable. You are right on track with your observations - hovering a heli is a balancing act. The more exact your moves and timing - the less stick movement is required. The most difficult part of learning how to fly helicopters is the realization that it is a lot harder than it looks. When you are first learning you are flying cognitively instead of reflexively. The reflexes (muscle memory) takes many hours to develop but at least it doesn't require lifting weights. Drop a note in my message box when you got Skype installed and your headset on and we'll get Phoenix flying.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Sep 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:09 AM
SR 120,T28D Trojan,F4U Corsair
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2010
40 Posts
Hello... I hope all is well. We missed our session on Monday. I was connected and ready. Hopefully we can reschedule. I'm eager to display my progess.
MercMan007 is offline Find More Posts by MercMan007
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:22 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
my apologies for missing our sched - please check your message box.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2010, 06:30 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
The CX2 and the MSR have been added to the fleet. If you thinking you might want to give it a try but a little rotor shy - these are great trainers for getting started or if you making the transition from coaxial to tail rotor. Want a "test flight" to see what it like? All you need is Phoenix - Skype - and about an hour of time. Feels right - sign up for another hour - price is the same - absolute free - although sometimes I feel I should be paying - I'm having so much fun.

20 students now (or so) - they come and go depending on time and interest. 3D training? Well I can help you get inverted but grass mowing and knife edges and death spirals are in your hands. Anybody interested in teaching 3D please apply here - no experience necessary. Great benefits - fly all you want and meet new people!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2010, 01:51 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
CLARIFICATION ON FEES - there are no fees and no costs. My payment-in-full is seeing students improve from instruction provided. Equally rewarding for students and teachers. Reward system been around since teaching began.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Jul 14, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:03 PM
SR 120,T28D Trojan,F4U Corsair
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2010
40 Posts
I've been training with CaptJac for a month now. I've had 4 or 5 lessons, once a week and I've progressed further in a month than I have in the 5 years that I've owned my copter. The lessons are free and work around your schedule. Just need PhoenixRC and Skype and off you go! If you're on the fence go ahead and jump and join us!
MercMan007 is offline Find More Posts by MercMan007