Old May 27, 2010, 03:20 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDocRich View Post
Any lessons on realflight G5?
I only have Phoenix - maybe can find another captain for Realflight? Any volunteers? Benefits include free travel - great comradery - and more fun than when you were 6 in a sandbox. Applicants needn't apply - just fly. Did I mention how much fun it is?
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 05:50 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
I'd help, but at this point it would just be the blind leading the blind. (or maybe the severely near sighted leading the blind ) I'm 99% on hovering from all orientations and I can do some basic sport flying, but that's about it. In fact I've actually never flown a real heli outside yet. Only flown around my kitchen/living room.*

Dan

* I have 4 small helis that can be flown inside... 4#6S, CB100, Solo Pro and Bravo III
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old May 27, 2010, 02:52 PM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined May 2010
25 Posts
ive been trying for less than a week now, so your way better off than me. I don't know how to setup multiplayer on g5, but I'll look more into it. If you wanna add me on skype my name is richie936.
iDocRich is offline Find More Posts by iDocRich
Old May 27, 2010, 03:34 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
Actually I only have G4.5, and I don't think you can connect G4.5 to G5 over the internet. Perhaps you could ask someone over on the KnifeEdge forums to help. There is a whole section specifically for G5 there, so there is bound to be someone who's got the right software (and is probably better qualified) that can help you out.

Dan
Old May 28, 2010, 06:21 PM
Joined Feb 2008
65 Posts
Learning the wild thing...

Hi everybody, I just wanted let everyone know that I've known Capt.Jack for at least a year and a half, heck maybe even more and since that time I've learned so much about this hobby I can't believe it! To begin with he helped me convert my CX3 to a brush-less version and now I don't have to replace motors every other week! Not to long ago the good Capt. talked me into getting the Phoenix simulator and a headset for Skype. All I can say is; it's worth every penny and more!! I live in Hawaii and Jack lives in Germany, that's 7000 miles away as crow flies and it seems like he's right here with me just like the time he did come to visit me last March, that was great! I'm doing well with the simulator so well in fact I'm now practicing inverted flight in preparation of building and flying my Trex 450 clone. Yeah baby!! OK here's the bottom line, if you want to learn to fly helicopters (and they ain't easy!) get the phoenix simulator and hook up with Jack on Skype and I promise you'll get into the air soon enough without the cost of all those crashes and frustration. See you all on the flight line- Capt.Rob...
haikuomega is offline Find More Posts by haikuomega
Old May 28, 2010, 08:31 PM
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
Capt Jack did you get my pm?

Bob
scratchnbell is offline Find More Posts by scratchnbell
Old May 30, 2010, 12:22 PM
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
Jack, can I use a bluetooth phone headset with skype?
Bob
Old May 30, 2010, 12:48 PM
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
nevermind, the bluetooth headset is up and running. Fun!
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:51 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,074 Posts
Welcome aboard Bob - 8 on board now - you're scheduled for June-3 - see you on the flight deck - bring your helmet!!

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:37 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Had my first session today with captJac. It was very informative, and he gave me great stuff to work on. I was really shocked at how many small tips he was able to pass on to me in just an hour that as a beginner I would never think of, but are extremely helpful in assuring positive progress. I look forward to my next session. Thanks again Jack!
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Jun 04, 2010, 12:47 AM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined May 2010
25 Posts
u need REALFLIGHT G5 Captain... wish i could get some lessons right now.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 02:12 AM
Joined May 2006
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ320 View Post
Had my first session today with captJac. It was very informative, and he gave me great stuff to work on. I was really shocked at how many small tips he was able to pass on to me in just an hour that as a beginner I would never think of, but are extremely helpful in assuring positive progress. I look forward to my next session. Thanks again Jack!
Sounds great!

Would it be possible for you to share some of those many small tips? Perhaps some of us could benefit?
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:16 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDocRich View Post
u need REALFLIGHT G5 Captain... wish i could get some lessons right now.
Doc what exactly are you having trouble with. Just basic hovering? Orientation? Or are you trying to move into more advanced forward flight? Which heli are you using to train with in the simulator?

Dan
Old Jun 05, 2010, 01:51 AM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined May 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Doc what exactly are you having trouble with. Just basic hovering? Orientation? Or are you trying to move into more advanced forward flight? Which heli are you using to train with in the simulator?

Dan
I'm learning without any guidance... Right now im just hovering. I can do it fairly okay with the nose out, nose in not so much. Just wanna make sure im learning the right way.

I use the trex 450 se v2, and heli axe one, and trex 500 i switch between them, I also use the hover trainer helicopter too.. I just switch between them... i get good at the bigger ones and then switch to the smaller/looser ones....
Old Jun 05, 2010, 04:00 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
On the Trex 450 go into the customize menu, save it as "My Trex 450 SE v2", then drill down until you find the flybar section and increase the paddle weight to 15g. The heli will be a lot more stable and easy to control in a hover with heavier paddles. You might also want to try setting the switch on the top left all the way to the back position. This will make the heli act more like a FP heli, where the throttle is progressive from bottom to top, rather then the other modes which have negative pitch on the lower portion of the stick.

The problem I've found with the hover trainer is that it starts off already in a hover, but without the rotor head at full speed, so for the first few seconds you have to concentrate not only on hovering, but also on adjusting the throttle as the rotor head gets up to speed. I think this is a bad design because there is already enough for a newb to think about without worrying about having to monitor the throttle as the head speeds up. (it's even worse in inverted mode) I personally found it a lot easier to learn when I got away from that trainer and just used the regular mode on my own.

What heli do you fly in real life?

Dan