HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Just had my first lesson with the captain. I have to say I'm very impressed with his teaching methods. He left me with a lot to think about and I now know what my problem is.... Im too heavy handed with the sticks lol.
Now when I go onto phoenix I have a plan of what I need to practice rather than just flying around aimlessly.

Many Thanks to the Captain and ill be in touch soon for more lessons
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:00 PM
United States, WA, La Center
Joined Apr 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi View Post
Just had my first lesson with the captain. I have to say I'm very impressed with his teaching methods. He left me with a lot to think about and I now know what my problem is.... Im too heavy handed with the sticks lol.
Now when I go onto phoenix I have a plan of what I need to practice rather than just flying around aimlessly.

Many Thanks to the Captain and ill be in touch soon for more lessons
I concur. I feel the most important part about it is he teaches you the CORRECT way to train and explains everything very clearly.
I'm also "heavy handed" and all I used to do was fly aimlessly too.
Captjac is a true saint.
rwingvr6 is offline Find More Posts by rwingvr6
Old Jun 02, 2011, 06:14 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,973 Posts
Certainly nice to read all the glowing reports - but really I'm just watching and sipping a lemonade in the sun. You guys are doing all the work!! If I may be allowed though to repeat what you hearing between sips - the importance of taking one-step-at-a-time really can't be overstated when you learning how to fly. If your liftoff is bad (rolling to the right or to the the left) then you immediately trying to correct for the error - and correcting the error usually makes the error worse if the amount of correction or timing of the correction is not dead nuts. If you lift off the ground without any error - then your heli will hang in the air for 4-5 seconds and that when your heart start racing - you hovering it - not chasing it!! What a great feeling!!! At that point it will start to slowly drift in a random direction. The only time it doesn't drift is when it is sitting on the ground. Very very slight cyclic nudges (more like caresses) will minimize the drift but this takes practice to get the feel for how much. It is really easy to over control. But even more difficult is the timing. If you are too late you are reacting - too soon you are worsening. It is more an art than science that develops with time. When you are concentrating on what your heli is doing instead of what your fingers are doing you are getting closer. A lot easier to say than to do. It all about practice - nothing more - nothing less. Some need more practice than others - it doesn't matter. The feeling of accomplishment is far greater reward than how long it takes. Enjoy the journey!!
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Jun 02, 2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 05:38 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Can you do the same with Clearview?
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:03 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
I don't have Clearview so can't help you with your question - not sure I understood your question though ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:29 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,781 Posts
Hi Captjac,
I think I've got past the crash stage of my learning. I've been out 7 times now to the flying field at ten batt packs per visit with no crashes. I can do nice smooth high speed and super slow speed figure 8s. Nice banked turns. One of the expert heli pilots out there said "nice flying, now do the same figure 8 in reverse direction" I can't. Why is it so much more difficult? I was thinking it was because if I over correct or under correct, its coming towards me rather than away from me. It just seems more natural the way I started.
It seems like the scale helis on the Phoenix are easier to learn on than a performance heli like the Trex. Well, reverse figure 8s is what I'll be practicing before I go out again.
-Craig
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:33 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,973 Posts
Congratulations!! Super job!!! That's a lot of progress in such a short time. You can tell that expert pilot he can stick it in his ear!! Figure-8's are hard enough - especially in wind. Figure 8's in reverse - gee why not do them with one hand tied behind your back and blindfolded too? Of course they can be done - I've seen them. I've also seen a LOT of crashes. If you just gotta because you gotta - remember when you putting on your blindfold to switch to HEADING HOLD if you aren't already - you can't fly in reverse in RATE mode.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:16 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,781 Posts
Hahaha, I'm sorry Captjac, I wasn't clear in my wording. I meant fly the pattern in reverse.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Well I have been practicing what the Captain taught me a few days ago and i have certainly improved. I need to work on the "porpoising" as he calls it

I can now lift off straight with no left/right slip about 75% of the time.
When I started with jack it was about 1 in 20 lol

Every time I get a straight lift off I reward myself with a quick circuit and back down again.

Many thanks to the captain! Ill be in touch to book another lesson for next week
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:17 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Hahaha, I'm sorry Captjac, I wasn't clear in my wording. I meant fly the pattern in reverse.
Dat a hole different animule!! An outside figure-8 is when the nose is turning away from you in the turns. An inside figure-8 is when the nose is turning towards you in the turns. 2 minute quiz: In the diagram below, are the color balls doing an inside turn or an outside turn? Which is harder? Why ? Don't you just hate them 2 minute quizzes ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:23 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi View Post
I can now lift off straight with no left/right slip about 75% of the time.
75% is pretty darn good in such a short time. I'm still working on that other 25% !!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Dat a hole different animule!! An outside figure-8 is when the nose is turning away from you in the turns. An inside figure-8 is when the nose is turning towards you in the turns. 2 minute quiz: In the diagram below, are the color balls doing an inside turn or an outside turn? Which is harder? Why ? Don't you just hate them 2 minute quizzes ?
I only have 2 minutes?
The direction that the balls are going is the one I'm having trouble with. I see what your saying. So in a inside 8, I don't have the security of my tail-in except for that brief time in between turns. And I really don't like that heli coming towards me without my security blanket.
Thanks Captjac for explaining it the way you did.
Since I don't have any plains on inverted flite, I better get good at precision patterns. I told my friend at the flying field I didn't what to fly upside down. He said "What? are you only going to fly figure 8s the rest of your pilot career" I saidno.
When I started this RC heli thing, I just wanted to make my model look like a real heli.
Thanks again Captjac, you are truly a great teacher.
-Craig
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
The expert has a point - listen to them. There's a funny thing that happens when you do something you've done a million times, but it's happening to your left instead of your right. For example, I'm not as good at stall turns to the left of me, but super comfy with doing them on the right, and in the case of a stall turn, it's the exact same thing on both sides. You should practice to eliminate that favoritism... but it's not the end of the world. I know plenty of guys who can't fly the pattern when the wind goes the 'other way' - normally at our field the wind blows from the right, so the guys get very used to making left-hand (racing style) circuits. It is always entertaining when the wind switches - you see a lot of bad landings, even some bad take offs. The best time to avoid creating this preference is before it develops, and I always try to get my students to do a few circuits in their weak directions regardless of the weather - it's against "the pattern" though, so we don't always get to do it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The expert has a point - listen to them. There's a funny thing that happens when you do something you've done a million times, but it's happening to your left instead of your right. For example, I'm not as good at stall turns to the left of me, but super comfy with doing them on the right, and in the case of a stall turn, it's the exact same thing on both sides. You should practice to eliminate that favoritism... but it's not the end of the world. I know plenty of guys who can't fly the pattern when the wind goes the 'other way' - normally at our field the wind blows from the right, so the guys get very used to making left-hand (racing style) circuits. It is always entertaining when the wind switches - you see a lot of bad landings, even some bad take offs. The best time to avoid creating this preference is before it develops, and I always try to get my students to do a few circuits in their weak directions regardless of the weather - it's against "the pattern" though, so we don't always get to do it.
jasmine2501, Its to late. I have a preference. From now on I'll work on going the direction I'm not comfortable with and do my familier moves for fun at the end.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:30 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
Clearview is another sim that allows for multiplayer. I was asking if you had it and could do lessons on it. No problem. Thanks anyway.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28