HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:51 AM
Madison WI
Joined Jan 2009
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Time for a training break - lets go fly!! Switch over to rate-mode on your gyro and polish those rotors over the Copenhagen Quey. Watch out for those low overpasses, high walls, and mind the stairs !!
Captain, That is really fun flying! I've been practicing flying under the bridge and then back to the pad. I can now do it!

This makes practice fun... is my immaturity revealing itself?

For exercises, I've been working some of yours here, going from the pad to the water's edge, etc. It's an interesting place to fly.

Thanks for the inspiration!
jazzjohn is offline Find More Posts by jazzjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:03 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjohn View Post
This makes practice fun... is my immaturity revealing itself?
Hi John - I was as jazzed as you flying under that bridge!! It took a few tries and I probably harpooned a few fish in the process but sure was fun!! Try flying under the 2nd bridge going out and under the 1st bridge coming back in. You will be flying in the blind for about 5 seconds but it's a hoot when you make it through.
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:36 PM
Madison WI
Joined Jan 2009
599 Posts
Good idea -I'll try it. If you don't hear from me in a few days send out the search crew
jazzjohn is offline Find More Posts by jazzjohn
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
Question

I have been getting feed back that flight sims do not prepare pilots for CP helis. I have been flying the ever popular Cb180 and I want to move into CP heli. I have around 100 hours of flight time on RealFlight (I know its not the best but I am borrowing it so its free to me :P ). I am very confident in the simulator but I have not been able to fly my 180 for a while due to money issues I am finally coming out of. Do you think I would be overwhelmed by a 4f200 or copterX 250? In the sim I can do all of the basic flight moves on Tuned up FLB 250 heli with gyros.
vap aspen is offline Find More Posts by vap aspen
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:27 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vap aspen View Post
I have been getting feed back that flight sims do not prepare pilots for CP helis.
Others a lot more seasoned will weight in with a lot better answers, but just quickly from one newb to another, those people telling you that are dead wrong.

The right sim, set up properly, and the right effort, is a huge leg up.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vap aspen View Post
I have been getting feed back that flight sims do not prepare pilots for CP helis.
I prefer to say it this way: some people are unable or unwilling to use the simulator as a training aid to prepare them for the real thing.

There's a bunch of reasons why that happens, but they can all be overcome. A simulator is a good training aid. It is by no means the only training aid. You need to make use of other things, like a teacher, a good helicopter, a set of training balls, etc, etc...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
Thank your for the replays. I will be getting a CP heli some what soon and I very much planed on getting some train balls. I hope my efforts over the year will put me in a better place then when i start. I have leaned So much and the Sim helped me understand aspects like t curve and p curve as well as tricks to setup a remote to make the heli more flyable to beginners.
vap aspen is offline Find More Posts by vap aspen
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:12 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
180 turns - lazy 8's

For this training exercise, switch your gyro to heading-hold. Also known as lazy 8's - the pattern you will be flying looks like O-----------------O. With practice it will become O--O. I'm still working on OO. These are really fun in the real world - especially when there is some wind and the translational lift is changing your altitude. You are not only continuously working your cyclic and rudder - but also your collector.

Parts 1-2 are "outside" turns so the nose is turning outwards. As your turns become more consistent - increase your speed slightly - concentrating on the radius of your turns.

Parts 3-4 are "inside" turns so the nose will turn inwards and cross over to the other side. These are more difficult because the nose will be turning in from both directions.

180° turns (lazy 8's) (7 min 17 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:19 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
set of training balls, etc, etc...
Especially this.
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:17 AM
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
I just got done reading the entire thread and i'm amazed by how great of a service Captjac and Jasmine are doing to help everyone out!! That being said I had a question myself. Would it be possible for someone to post the initial setup on pheonix with the Phoenix 500 (read it is most like the real 450). Iv had Phoenix for a week and after watching captjacs videos and advice on this thread I am able to hover within a 8-10ft area pretty well. Still working on the perfect take off. But I was wondering if there were some key adjust captjac is having people make on initial setup that could make the flying/learning experience improved. Thank you everyone for all your advice and help so far!
Slane15 is offline Find More Posts by Slane15
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:02 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slane15 View Post
I was wondering if there were some key adjust captjac is having people make on initial setup that could make the flying/learning experience improved.
Hi Slane - the initial setup is really more determined by your skill level than a fixed regimen. There are a lot of variables - it takes about 30 minutes to get everything tweaked just right - but again it depends more on the student than Phoenix. I'll be glad to do a walk through with you if you want to do a setup session.

CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
You are the man CaptJac!!!!

Started the sim on my own about a week ago with about 2 hours a day of practice and constantly reading this thread. Just this morning had a lesson with CaptJac and i have to say that everyone's comments were spot on. He showed me that with the appropriate steps, flying a heli is a realistic goal!

What i learned today

-correct set up is key! With the Trex 500 we set end points to 10%-90%, changed pitch curve, set the model to 100%, and set up gryo switch (good to know for easy banks)!!

-take-off creates a nice hover! learning a perfect take-off helps so much with having a stable hover! Take off SLOW until you have it down.

-don't hold tx, don't PUNCH sticks, and master each step before you move on.

-and the most important thing, flying is fun when your learning it right!!

Thanks again Jack!
Slane15 is offline Find More Posts by Slane15
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 2011
77 Posts
Just a quick question, I noticed that in Pheonix the tail never moves unless told. In real life, the majority of the crashes on my mSR are due to punching the throttle too suddenly and spinning or wackyness with the tail authority. Is there any way to get this in the simulator?
691175002 is offline Find More Posts by 691175002
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:22 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
Just a quick question, I noticed that in Pheonix the tail never moves unless told. In real life, the majority of the crashes on my mSR are due to punching the throttle too suddenly and spinning or wackyness with the tail authority. Is there any way to get this in the simulator?
The MSR has an electric tail motor - and in the real world cannot develop the extra speed/torque it needs when you punch it. Other than nose orientation - the MSR is not an awful lot of help in learning to fly a larger CP heli like a 450 or 500 as they have a completely different response and dynamic. You might try switching to rate-mode and see if that loosens up the tail a little.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
I was flying the mSR in the sim last night actually, and it's not even remotely close to the real one. Not sure what is going on there - I tried lots of edits and couldn't get it to feel right. Turning the difficulty up to 100 helped a little bit. I will play with it some more and if I remember, I'll post back here if I figure it out.

However, I think your mSR should be pretty good on the tail control. Mine is really solid - if you punch it, you'll get a little wiggle, but it doesn't blow out. If you're getting a lot of tail blow-out, I would check the tail motor and blades real carefully - sometimes the plug comes loose on the board, or you get some fuzz in the tail shaft, or the blades flatten out over time.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501