HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:13 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,360 Posts
OK then, you're going to need to do something to increase performance. Check that your USB drivers are all up to date. Other than that, you might just need a faster machine. This is one reason I strongly object to Phoenix's use of the non-playable demo - it doesn't actually tell you if the program is performing well or not.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:07 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,762 Posts
Hey thanks jasmine2501,
That was the problem. I changed USB port to the one in the rear and it works now.
Craig
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,360 Posts
Awesome

So, that means it requires USB2 probably. Good luck with your flying! I was going to fire up the "Rocky Mountain Fly" session in Phoenix... join me if you dare
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:44 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,944 Posts
Craig - please check your msg box.

Captain Jasmine - thanks for helping with the delay.

captJac
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:20 AM
UK, Greater London
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
Hello CaptJac,

I've had Phoenix Flight Sim since version 1.5 which I just updated to v3. My real gear is FF7 and an electric Humming Bird v2 Heli. I bought this setup around 5 years ago but got side tracked and shelved the equipment. I never got to fly the Heli rather only been able to make it hop around on its training gear!! I want to actually be able to try and fly the heli at some point after learning basic skills on the Sim. Would you be able to let me know which Sim model is closest to the Humming Bird and any potential gotchas in the Phoenix Sim setup.

Caz
cazzy is offline Find More Posts by cazzy
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:03 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,944 Posts
Hi Caz - I don't have any experience with the hummingbird, but guessing it was the same league as the Aerohawk - which was my first heli - and almost my last. On Phoenix - the Blade SR is fixed pitch - 4 channel - tail motor - rotor diameter .5m - maybe as close as you will find? Potential gotchas - I don't really know any - the setup should be pretty straight forward since you don't have any pitches to adjust. All tail motor helis have a basic limitation of tail authority but should be good for basic training and scale. Glad to setup a session with you if I can help with your re-immersion.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:12 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,360 Posts
Just to clarify, the Blade SR 120 is a fixed-pitch 4-channel heli that flies very nicely. The Blade SR is a crappy little CP. It is less than important though, as the simulator can be used to learn general flying principles and should probably not be taken as an exact simulation of any particular model. The sim can show you the general differences between different kinds of helis, but it is never accurate enough to teach you a particular helicopter. So, fly what is fun, in the simulator - it will teach you what you need to learn, and I think you'll learn better if you switch helis periodically so you don't get used to making certain movements, and always are reacting and adjusting to what you see on the screen, rather than making predetermined movements that only work for one helicopter.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:13 PM
UK, Greater London
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
Cheers

CaptJac / Jasmine2501

for the replies..
cazzy is offline Find More Posts by cazzy
Old Feb 05, 2011, 06:07 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,944 Posts
Nose-in Hovering 1-2

Part -1
First warm up and fine tune with nose-out hovering - make sure cyclic trims are centered - verify drift is random and not predetermined. Adjust trims if necessary.

Rotate to nose-in position - lift off slowly. Stabilize hover -try to keep cyclic neutralized and nudge the sticks very slightly to correct. Move to back of 2nd circle and return to center. This is NOT easy. If unable to maintain position slow down simulator speed to 80% and gradually work back to 100% over time. Mastering nose-in hovering is more an art than a science and takes hours of practice and repetition. Remember I got to cherry pick the one I used for demo. Don't ask me how many cherries I picked. When watching the demo videos keep an eye on the cyclic stick - most of the time it is neutralized except the small nudges.

Part -2

Rotate to nose-in position - lift off slowly. Stabilize hover -try to keep cyclic neutralized and nudge the sticks very slightly to correct. Move to side of 2nd circle and return to center. Not easy - same notes apply.

Nose in hovering 1-2 (2 min 20 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:31 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,944 Posts
Nose-in Landings

Nose-in landings perspective is difficult to gauge and easy to overshoot the target. Insure a "safe" distance between you and the heli when practicing this in the real world. Getting hit by those blades can be deadly serious and the last mistake you want to make.

Nose in landings (1 min 47 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:45 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,360 Posts
Nose-in landings is a stepping stone to doing proper auto-rotations, which are almost always done nose-in.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:04 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
I'd like to take a moment and publicly thank CaptJac for the outstanding first lesson he administered to me today.

All of the positive things others have said about both him and the experience are true: he has the gift of an easy demeanor, knowledge, and an ability to quickly suss out what your skill and experience level is (sure didn't take long with me! heh heh), and to put things in terms that make sense.

All through my lesson I marveled that this was not a close Uncle or family member who had taken me under his wing as a sole student, but that he is doing this for dozens -- it seems incredible that a person could keep the level of personal interest and attention that he did for me, but for so many others as well.

As others have summarized previously, after a quick friendly introduction, we were off into the innards of the Phoenix system and my radio to make sure the settings made sense for training purposes. Far from 'dumbing down' or desensitizing the experience, the settings seemed designed to extract the most realism out of the model and simulator, but at a rate of response appropriate for a beginner to absorb.

Without telling me what I *need* to drill on, or *ought* to work on, the way that CaptJac approaches things is to let you see for yourself what you are doing, and why things are happening. I have a short list of things that *I* know I need to drill on before I take on the next session, but I'm confident that I'll be exercising the right way and for the right base skill to build on later.

Even with all his experience, he clearly still understands how overwhelming all those different knobs and controls, especially when they interact, can be for someone new to them, and I felt very at ease in general, although I do admit that when he unexpectedly had me take the bird around the field for a bit of fun at the end of the initial session, my palms were sweaty, and my heart was racing. I credit his patience and beginner's luck that I actually think I completed a circuit or two, before packing it into the ground (uh... repeatedly...oops.), to mutual laughter.

He does not make light of the safety aspects, and covered how dangerous these things can be, but also has not lost his sense of why we are trying this in the first place -- for the enjoyment of it!

If you are a person who has considered giving him a shout, but hasn't done so, I would fully encourage you to do so, as you will not be disappointed, and can only be reducing your overall learning time, and focusing your efforts to be more fruitful by taking up his generous offer of assistance.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:15 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,944 Posts
Thanks very much for that high-octane fueling!! Gonna put that in my motivator tank if I start slowing down!! ZOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!
Before rocketing back to the training pad though - I would like to spool up a little longer with a couple thoughts for the spectators on the field. The only difference between a teacher and a student is the teacher started first. If you thinking that's great for everyone else - absolutely right!! But what you may be leaving out of the equation is you are on the other side of the equal sign. Don't be afraid to get started. If you been crashing on your own - join the crowd. The success ratio of this hobby is pretty dismal. Training on a simulator is not only the 1st step but it is a continuing step. The more you practice the more you will learn. The beauty of the simulator is you can take risks without worry of failure. It doesn't matter what level you start. The first step leads to the next step. If you aren't making mistakes - you aren't learning!! Tracknoob came up with a super idea for training on the simulator. Every time you crash on the simulator put $1 in your "crash kiddy". When you go flying in the real-world you'll be a little more conditioned for the cost of a crash and the pucker factor won't be quite as extreme. And - if you do crash - the cost of replacement parts will be covered by the kiddy!! ABSOLUTE GENIUS!!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Feb 08, 2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2010
117 Posts
Hi CaptJac! I am preparing for your heli lessons in Phoenix and have some setup trouble: I have a Futaba 7C 2.4Ghz TX and it is discovered fine by Phoenix, calibrated without problems. However whenever I select a middle-sized heli (Blade SR, Trex 250), my throttle is waaay to sensitive. When the throttle servo is around 30%, the models just flies into the sky. However, throttle is quite stable on a small model, such as Blade MSR for example, or a co-axial Lama.
Any clues?
buffet is offline Find More Posts by buffet
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:07 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffet View Post
Hi CaptJac! I am preparing for your heli lessons in Phoenix and have some setup trouble: I have a Futaba 7C 2.4Ghz TX and it is discovered fine by Phoenix, calibrated without problems. However whenever I select a middle-sized heli (Blade SR, Trex 250), my throttle is waaay to sensitive. When the throttle servo is around 30%, the models just flies into the sky. However, throttle is quite stable on a small model, such as Blade MSR for example, or a co-axial Lama.
Any clues?
It sounds like your collective is too high for basic training and hovering. Try editing your model in Phoenix so the minimum pitch is 0 degrees - mid pitch is 3 degrees - maximum pitch is 6 degrees - that ought to quiet the little dickens down. Set your Futaba to default. Click on Model - Edit - Main Rotor - in Phoenix to change the values. Let me know if that doesn't help.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Feb 08, 2011 at 11:17 AM.