Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:46 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Hey CaptJac,

I just purchased my Phoenix sim yesterday at LHS. I'm right at 2 months of flying FP and one CP. Can hover and do spins really good. Starting to turn noise a little when rolling left and right. Why can't I fly this sim? Sorry I didn't read all prev posts.
Hi Craig - welcome aboard the Phoenix flight!! Check your msg box and we can coordinate some training time.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:29 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,000 Posts
Turning nose while hovering -

Switch to heading-hold for this exercise. This is a good example
of "practice makes perfect". I'm still practicing it !!

Turning While Hovering (1 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:51 PM
Bustin' foamies is my hobby
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Cap'n Jack I think I'm finally ready to get some lessons. I recently had a serious medical issue and am sort of laid up right now. So I can't get out and fly my planks. Been flying Phoenix like crazy, it was originally my intention to get a Trex 550 shortly, but now I think I won't be up to the build and the stress of learning a CP heli.

One question on Phoenix. I;m of the old school that thinks if you want to learn to swim, jump into the deep end of the pool. So after I got fairly good at the Trex 550, I ramped up the difficulty setting it at 100% and also adding negative expo. Is this really a good idea, or am I just hampering my learning curve. I must say I'm beginning to get where I can handle it. When I first set it up that way, I would crash after about 20 seconds of flight. Now, I'm able to hover and amble around for about 2-3 minutes before I crash.
KYlawyer is offline Find More Posts by KYlawyer
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:10 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
It is one way to do it. I prefer to pick up the difficulty by trying different helis, but you can just alter the ones you want to fly. I think experiencing not only different performance levels, but different performance types is important.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:19 AM
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Nov 2010
133 Posts
I put all the helis on 100% and left all the other settings. I have my favorites that I fly more than others but I try to go through all of them just to get used to getting used to different feels (hope that made sense) so far its worked out very well and I haven't had any problems going from Phoenix to the real thing.
Madman133 is offline Find More Posts by Madman133
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:45 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYlawyer View Post
I;m of the old school that thinks if you want to learn to swim, jump into the deep end of the pool. So after I got fairly good at the Trex 550, I ramped up the difficulty setting it at 100% and also adding negative expo. Is this really a good idea, or am I just hampering my learning curve.
Depends what kind of "swimming" you want to do. I use 0 degrees negative pitch in the demo videos to minimize the collector sensitivity. This reduces the "bobbing" effect from unintentional movement of the collective when inputting rudder control. In the real world it is advisable to have a small degree of negative pitch for winds. -2 degrees works fine - it doesn't slam to the ground when reducing collector but still provides a downward pull if you need it. Keep in mind this is for training hovering and circuits for scale flying. If you are training to stand on your head (literally) - than crank up the negative pitch and talk with Jasmine.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Feb 01, 2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 03:26 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
I use 100% physical slider on everything I fly in Phoenix and no expo (no DR as well), otherwise I feel like I am flying in the soup. I didn't really like flying the sim before I discovered that (see my prev. posts)
My real 250 flies quite close to 100% slider 250, but by no means I'd call that "realistic", real one is still more responsive and drifts much less, esp at slow speed. Bigger birds are better I suppose.
(my real 250 is setup quite aggressively though).
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Feb 01, 2011, 06:38 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,000 Posts
360 degree Rotation

Establish a stable hover with nose-out and begin turning the nose slowly. Hold constant rudder through the 360 turn. It is easier to maintain stability with a faster rotation than a slower rotation. As your cyclic control becomes more "fine tuned" reduce the speed of the rotation. The brain is not symmetrical and seems to prefer one direction than the other. Practice first in your "strong" direction before trying to reverse. Note - this is the beginning step to hovering nose-in - don't force nose-in, transition to nose-in by turning the nose slower and slower and stopping for a few seconds when the nose is pointing in. It is far less traumatic for you and your helicopter.

360 degree rotation (1 min 51 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
I spent a very interesting and informative hour in the hands of CaptJac this evening. He moves things along at an ideal pace, imparts lots of wisdom and still makes it all seem fun. Anybody out there that is wondering about giving it a whirl shouldn't hesitate.

Thanks again CaptJac.
dadada is offline Find More Posts by dadada
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:13 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,000 Posts
Flying nose-in

To flatten the learning-curve of nose-in flying without flattening your nose - start with this exercise.

1. Turn the nose while on the ground.
2. Don't allow the heli to fly in closer than 10 feet from you.
3. Think ahead - opposite stick - opposite direction.
4. Talk to yourself while flying "Stick in the direction of error"
5. If you panic - land. Turn the nose out (comfort zone) and start again.

The brain does not process well when it is flipped around. This will be difficult until muscle memory takes over and it takes hours and hours to get those muscles to listen - so don't be in a hurry. As you progress - slow the forward movement until you are hovering.

Flying nose in (1 min 28 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 03:25 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Just had my 4th lesson with the Captain. If your on the fence, jump to this side. I started as an absolute newbie to collective pitch with Phoenix, and I've now got hovering in the four orientations down as well as some precision pattern flying going.

And Jack is a great teacher. I get a little cocky because I can pull off a figure 8 and he says that's great...do it four times slower and 1/2 the size. Of course I couldn't, so he showed me how and I'm working on that now. Flying faster is easy, Jack teaches precision flying without which you'll never really 'control' the helicopter. I even asked him for pointers on the setup of my real bird and he talked me through proper tail servo setup and some blade tracking tips.

Thanks again Jack, enjoying every second.
semerien is offline Find More Posts by semerien
Old Feb 02, 2011, 03:39 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semerien View Post
I get a little cocky because I can pull off a figure 8 and he says that's great...do it four times slower and 1/2 the size. Of course I couldn't, so he showed me how and I'm working on that now. Flying faster is easy, Jack teaches precision flying without which you'll never really 'control' the helicopter.
I try to show people this, and it's like they don't understand what I'm talking about. I think they are thinking "why would I want to slow down when I can fly fast" - but you don't realize what you're learning until you slow it down. Fast flight covers up a lot of mistakes - by the time your mistake shows up, you're 200 feet away from where it happened. When you fly slow, you can see every wobble. You haven't learned a maneuver until you can do it slow.

That's what I'm working on lately myself - you can do this at every level. I'm working on transitions right now - going from one move into the next. So for example I will pull up into a stall turn and come out in a tail-slide into backwards inverted flight - when you do this fast, it's ugly - when you do it slow and smooth, it is beauty.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:22 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,817 Posts
I'm schedualed for some training tomorrow with CapJac. I've been trying to pratice but I now see where the problem is. The reaction to my stick movments is off by about .4 seconds. Is there some setting in the system that neededs ajusting? Maybe my computer is just slow!
Caig
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:35 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
I'm schedualed for some training tomorrow with CapJac. I've been trying to pratice but I now see where the problem is. The reaction to my stick movments is off by about .4 seconds. Is there some setting in the system that neededs ajusting? Maybe my computer is just slow!
Caig
Helicopters don't react instantly. Put up the radio screen and see if it's really lagging or not. The radio screen will show you what and when the input is.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,817 Posts
jasmine2501, I did that and it shows the delay. Thats why I can't hover.
Craig
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100