HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:11 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
2.5 to 3.0 Update

New guy here, I have tried multiple times to upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0 and it is not installing correctly. I have vista on my computer, has anyone else had problems? Thanks in advance.
Venturi49 is offline Find More Posts by Venturi49
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:57 PM
Noobness
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
The stability of your hover is only as good as your lift off. Practice lifting-off with as little rolling as possible. Applying a little right aileron is too late after lift-off - you end up correcting as soon as you are air born. Hold a "tad" of right aileron before lift-off - and neutralize the aileron immediately after. It takes a while to find that "tad" sweet spot - so be patient.
Looks great CaptJac! Wish my hovers looked that steady, from any orientation! Even with expo, I'm still all over the place. Your right, it takes a while to get used to that little right cyclic and let-off to come up off the deck. Sometimes I get it just right, and it makes a huge difference in not chasing a level-out. Still, after a little time, I over-control and lose my hover point.

problem is finding time to consistently (read everyday!) practice on the sim, and yet I'm not going to progress very quickly until I do. ARRRRG!
ShortBtwnHdset is offline Find More Posts by ShortBtwnHdset
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Yes, every day is important! Even if you only have 15 minutes, it will help. One flight per day will help more than 4 hours of flying only on the weekends. Keep in mind that every heli is different, so once you get it right for one heli, try it with another. Eventually you get the instinct to take off straight during the lift off. It just takes practice.

Note: I say this because your real heli will likely be a little different from the sim, and a given amount of control input may not have the same effect, so you need to learn to adjust "on the fly"
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:25 PM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Captjac

Quote:
The stability of your hover is only as good as your lift off. Practice lifting-off with as little rolling as possible. Applying a little right aileron is too late after lift-off - you end up correcting as soon as you are air born. Hold a "tad" of right aileron before lift-off - and neutralize the aileron immediately after. It takes a while to find that "tad" sweet spot - so be patient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTDjyvyQajY
Do that hover again with your Physic meter showing so i can see what you have that set at.
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:02 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi49 View Post
New guy here, I have tried multiple times to upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0 and it is not installing correctly. I have vista on my computer, has anyone else had problems? Thanks in advance.
Hi Dwight - 2 other students had the same problem - both using Vista. One of them gave up after crashing his computer (multiple times) - the other student got it to install after multiple tries - he wasn't willing to give up quite as easily as the 1st. Would be interesting to hear if Phoenix technical support has any suggestions - other than upgrade Windows to a newer version. Doubtful though ...
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:25 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,040 Posts
Tail-in hovering

The stability of your hover is only as good as your lift off. Practice lifting-off with as little rolling as possible. Hold a "tad" of right aileron before lift-off - and neutralize the aileron immediately after. Applying right aileron after lift-off is too late- you end up correcting as soon as you are air born. It takes a while to find that "tad" sweet spot - so be patient.

Sim speed and Model setup are at 100% - camera speed is 50% (controls zoom) - heading-hold gyro - linear rudder - 25% expo cyclic - collector pitch 0 +3 +6

----------------Click on the 4-arrows at bottom for full-page

Hovering tail-in.wmv (1 min 35 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Feb 09, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:12 AM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Quote:
Sim speed and Model setup are at 100% - camera speed is 50% (controls zoom) - heading-hold gyro - linear rudder - 25% expo cyclic - collector pitch 0 +3 +6 - did I miss something or is it just the hovering you don't like?
nothing wrong here. I was just wondering what you had physics set at, Cause that was some good hovering @ 100% almost too good
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:28 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,040 Posts
Hovering to forward-flight to hovering

Transitioning from hovering to forward-flight and back - keep it in the box!

Hover to FF to hover (0 min 59 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Feb 09, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:54 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,040 Posts
Hovering to Roll to Hovering

This exercise is to train controlled rolling. Practice maintaining a constant
and even roll and stopping the roll without overshooting or undershooting
your destination.

Rock and Roll simulator speed test not recommended in real world.

Hover to Roll to Hover (1 min 23 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Mar 03, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:08 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,040 Posts
Forward flight

With the new layouts in version 3.0 - there are some really good training exercises you can do to polish up your slow-speed forward flight and turns. Watch that white line - it moves when you aren't watching !! I'm working on making some more - as soon as that line quits moving around.

Phoenix training (1 min 1 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:23 AM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Capjac..

You are just awesome on the radio stick ..Good job bro.. So amazing!!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:17 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enguneer View Post
Capjac..

You are just awesome on the radio stick ..Good job bro.. So amazing!!
Not bad for being 76!! Actually I'm only 66. Thank you for the compliment though. The purpose of the videos is to encourage - not discourage. I started flying about 5 years ago - I gave up at least 5 times - partially due to frustration - partially due to impatience (with myself) - and partially due to a Parkinson's tremor. If I can fly - anybody can!! And to anybody who might be reading this and wanting to learn how to fly the durn things - by all means possible - do it!!! That's what I'm here for. That's what Jasmine is here for. And NO - I don't have any affiliation with Phoenix - I just happen to believe it is the best darn simulator going - and I'd be more than happy to help you get it going. In 2 lessons - I can almost promise - you will not only be hovering but you will be flying circles around the training field - and I got witnesses!!

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
Madison WI
Joined Jan 2009
599 Posts
Don't take lessons with Captain Jack!!

... I want him all to myself!

Kidding aside, I had my first CaptJac lesson a couple of days ago when the Cap went through setting up Phoenix and my DX7. A half hour into the one-on-one lesson, I realized how much time I could have saved in the months before. During the walk-through, many questions were cleared up and there were a few eureka! moments, too. Why didn't I do this months ago?

I have improved already. At first, the sim heli seemed so much harder to control than my real life ones, but after several 5 minute sessions it became much easier. I did cheat a little by tweaking a couple of more settings in Phoenix. I wanted to start out with an even tamer heli to progress from. Here's what I did (I hope this is OK with the Captain)...

1. The hovering stability was changed from 100% to 120%. This made a huge difference. Within a few short sessions, I was able to gradually dial it back down to 100% and still maintain hovering ability.

2. The throttle curve was changed from linear to the 'V' shaped idle-up curve. This gave it a little more stability.

I can now keep the heli in a reasonable hover and have even done some nose-in.

Setting up Phoenix (which I almost wrote off when I first bought it) with Captain Jack's help made a huge difference. Now I think it's the greatest sim in the world ... as evidenced by the fact that it attracts great teachers!

Thanks, Jack!
jazzjohn is offline Find More Posts by jazzjohn
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,040 Posts
Forward flight from Roll -

This is a good exercise to start turning the nose in the direction of flight. Switch to rate-mode to allow the tail to weather-vane. Begin with nose-out hover and give a little aileron to start rolling - the tail will wind-vane in the direction of the roll without rudder input. Stop the forward movement by pulling back slightly on the elevator (not too much or it will change altitude) - once it stops - turn the nose 90 degrees with the rudder - (that's the tricky part) - then start the roll again by applying opposite aileron. Keep practicing - it will get easier.

Note 1: Always turn the nose away from you - not towards you - when you apply rudder. Nose-in turns come later.

Note 2: Gyro mode can be switched in Phoenix using the menus Model-Edit-Rudder. If you have a gyro switch on your radio (aka gear switch on Spectrum radio) you can switch the gyro mode by mapping the gyro channel using System-Control-Edit and scroll down to Gyro.

FF turning nose (0 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Mar 03, 2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Hey CaptJac,

I just purchased my Phoenix sim yesterday at LHS. I'm right at 2 months of flying FP and one CP. Can hover and do spins really good. Starting to turn noise a little when rolling left and right.
Why can't I fly this sim? Sorry I didn't read all prev posts.

One thing I like about this hobby is it lets you know there is still some really good people out there willing to give of there time.
Craig
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100