HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:07 PM
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Nov 2010
133 Posts
Hey youre in Golden too? Crazy lol small world Hit me up sometime Im just learning also
Madman133 is offline Find More Posts by Madman133
Last edited by Madman133; Jan 06, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:20 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffiend View Post
After a toy heli Christmas present for my son sparked an R/C shopping spree, I'd like to take advantage of these lessons too.
We can train you in person... no need for all this fake stuff

Madman and I both live in Golden area - I'm over by colorado Mills. I'm the membership officer for Arvada Modelers... I'll be happy to show you the places we can fly in town, and I can give any information you need about the club. We have the best flying facility in the area, and I think we have the best group of people too, but I'm biased

http://www.arvadamodelers.com/
We do have an online weather station, and a web cam that shows you one of our runways - the nice runway is not on the web cam. So look at what the cam shows you and then remember, I also said there is a "nice runway" off camera.
http://www.arvadamodelers.com/index....d=61&Itemid=85
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:24 PM
Golden, CO
Joined May 2002
27 Posts
Oh great, I'm just by the South Table Mountain trailhead. I just found AAM earlier today and was looking to join when I get an outdoor bird.
Caffiend is offline Find More Posts by Caffiend
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:13 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffiend View Post
Oh great, I'm just by the South Table Mountain trailhead. I just found AAM earlier today and was looking to join when I get an outdoor bird.
If you have your simulator online, look for the "Jazzy's Flight Deck" session and come and say hi
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:50 PM
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Nov 2010
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
If you have your simulator online, look for the "Jazzy's Flight Deck" session and come and say hi
Or Madman133s Fun Session ;p lol
Madman133 is offline Find More Posts by Madman133
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:26 PM
Golden, CO
Joined May 2002
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Thanks for the session! I have some practicing to do.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:53 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Yeah but you will do fine. Just practice the hovering orientations and in a couple days if I have time, I can show you some drills to learn forward flight. PM me about places to pick up helis in town.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:16 PM
Centreville, Va
Joined Nov 2010
88 Posts
Can I install Phoenix on more than 1 computer?
I own several and would like to be able to use it on different ones, say if one crashes or if I'm in a different room at the beach on a laptop etc.

Mike
lerninmore is offline Find More Posts by lerninmore
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:35 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerninmore View Post
Can I install Phoenix on more than 1 computer?
Hi Mike - you can install Phoenix on as many computers as you want - but you need the "dongle" (the little black box) that plugs into the USB port to run it.
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:44 PM
Centreville, Va
Joined Nov 2010
88 Posts
That is fine, I don't mind traveling with the dongle and DX7. I have over 10 computers and today might want to sim on the one connected to the 65" TV and tomorrow the one on the 24"monitor or a laptop at the beach.

Thanks
Mike
lerninmore is offline Find More Posts by lerninmore
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:27 PM
Golden, CO
Joined May 2002
27 Posts
Let me add my voice to the chorus giving thanks to CaptJac. I had my first session earlier today and it's great having someone virtually looking over your shoulder, coaching you through drills and giving you feedback. His patience and teaching approach really help make this sheer cliff of a learning curve not seem quite as daunting.

Phoenix makes for a great tool. If we'd been flying my bird my kids would be on food rations right now and I'd have spent more than a few nights at the workbench working on repairs. Not to mention the fact that it was 12F outside with a blanket of snow and ice. Being able to practice from the comfort of my toasty office with a cup of Earl Grey means I'm actually getting in stick time rather than just looking out the window wistfully.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:25 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
I've had big breakthrough in Phoenix a couple of days ago. Setting physics in model edit to 100% (it's at 50% for all models by default, you have to make a copy) all of sudden made flying much more realistic and enjoyable.
Now it reacts almost as it should - no more "moon lag" thing.
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:57 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,077 Posts
Total Heli newb here, checking in!

I have Phoenix sim coming in soon, and a CP PRo2 and Blade 400 already waiting in the hanger, so I suspect I will be asking CaptJac for a hand before too long, myself!

What a terrific resource to have available!

Going to try to scare up a headset and Skype today or early next week.

I've been doing RADD school and am up to Battery 7, so waiting on my training gear, also to continue there!

EDITED TO ADD:

Okay, Mr. UPS delivered Phoenix. Got it installed, updated to ver. 3.0m, and found my two helis in there -- CPP2 & B400.

I tried hovering both of them, and holy cow.

If the sim is anything at all like real life, then thank goodness I am not the impulsive kid I used to be who would run down and do things seat of the pants, because I plain old can't hover. I knew about not over controlling, I knew 'small movements' and I knew 'return to center' and I've heard "stay ahead of the copter'... but even with all that in mind, it will clearly take a lot of work to get me into hover-mode! I think I crashed 10 or 15 of each model, no matter how careful I tried to be. Looking forward to more familiarization over the weekend, and maybe I'll actually be ready to ask Capt Jac for some pointers next week. This is (sweaty palmed, heart racing, wallet lightning) fun!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Jan 14, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:20 AM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Don't wait, ask now

When I first got Phoenix I suddenly realized the vast difference between little coaxial birds and even a small 'beginner' fixed pitch like the msr. Couldn't hold the heli in anything close to a hover after days of trying. Fortunately I noticed this thread and sent CaptJac a message.

I just finished my third lesson with CaptJac. All I can say is don't wait..don't frustrate yourself for a week trying to make those sim helicopters do your bidding. The first lesson Jac is going to take you through Phoenix setup. Teach you how to tame that bird down for learning. You'll know what the different menus are for, he'll explain every step and you will have an easier time getting a feel for it. He'll also watch what your doing on the transmitter and suggest different things to try. You can even watch his transmitter while he shows you what he means. It's the way to go.

Now, after the third lesson, I'm working on flying nose in direction of flight box patterns. They look more like deformed triangles right now, but I'm actually flying the damn thing. The three things I suggest are:

1. Get CaptJac's help.
2. As he will tell you 'Practice, practice, practice'
3. As anyone will tell you ... Patience. There is a 'click' and now I can hover that bird fairly well from three orientations. No pro by any means, but it's coming.

Thanks again CaptJac.
semerien is offline Find More Posts by semerien
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:02 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Okay, Mr. UPS delivered Phoenix. Got it installed, updated to ver. 3.0m, and found my two helis in there -- CPP2 & B400. I tried hovering both of them, and holy cow. If the sim is anything at all like real life, then thank goodness I am not the impulsive kid I used to be who would run down and do things seat of the pants, because I plain old can't hover. I knew about not over controlling, I knew 'small movements' and I knew 'return to center' and I've heard "stay ahead of the copter'... but even with all that in mind, it will clearly take a lot of work to get me into hover-mode! I think I crashed 10 or 15 of each model, no matter how careful I tried to be. Looking forward to more familiarization over the weekend, and maybe I'll actually be ready to ask Capt Jac for some pointers next week.
Couldn't have said it better "sweaty palmed, heart racing, wallet lightning fun!" Congratulations on acquiring Phoenix and taking it a step-at-a-time instead of a crash-at-a-time. Send me a PM when you ready for some pointers and we'll start polishing those rotors.

captJac
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member