Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:25 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,930 Posts
The 2603 is not listed as one of the compatible radios in their FAQ's ..

http://www.phoenix-sim.com/support.htm
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:43 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,930 Posts

We having any fun yet ?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Dec 19, 2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:54 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
By the way i just had a lesson with CaptJack - absolutely wonderful! Thanks again for your time Jack and really great and valuable instructions! I've never seen anyone flying so precisely on Phoenix! (talking about Jack, not myself, hehe)

------------------------ SIGN UP TODAY!! FREE INTRODUCTORY OFFER!! AVOID THE XMAS RUSH !! ------------------------------

............................................ ** Normal price is $0/lesson - price will double soon - don't delay **
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:48 PM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
270 Posts
Training after the Holidays

This sounds great. I will be giving you a pm after the Holidays. Im 41 years yung, and have two sons that are interested as well. We have the Phoenix sim, updated to the latest 3.0. My sons have the dx6i, and I have the dx7.
We all started out on the Blade mcx last Christmas, sence then we have flown the MSR, and the 120SR. Still dont know what we are doing with the msr and 120 sr, but we are having fun. One question, on the updated Phoenix, the Blade SR flies nice and easy, is it realy that easy in real life?
ejam is offline Find More Posts by ejam
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
All of the helis seem a little easier in the new version. I'm not sure if I like that or not, but it's still fairly accurate - the FBL helis seem a little jumpy, but I think they nailed the difference pretty well. I do like the improvements in the new version, and the online sessions are getting more busy, so that's a good thing.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:23 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
All of the helis seem a little easier in the new version. I'm not sure if I like that or not, but it's still fairly accurate - the FBL helis seem a little jumpy, but I think they nailed the difference pretty well. I do like the improvements in the new version, and the online sessions are getting more busy, so that's a good thing.
I am having a quite a lot of annoying problem with totally unrealistic drift when in slow flight/hover. I have very good comparison with my real 250 and phoenix (latest version). Hovering/slow flight 250 in Phoenix have really annoying low gravity/high mass feeling inertia. Real 250 has nothing like that (I use the same radio settings). FF/circuits are all right.. I probably expect too much tho.

It's not too bad with bigger helicopters tho, maybe because I have no comparison.
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:13 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
I have noticed that the default setting in Phoenix is a light wind blowing - this could be the cause of your drifting.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:30 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,930 Posts
Good call Jasmine!! Just checked and sure enough it was blowing slightly with a few gusts. I'll include that in the check list next time. Turn off winds!! Funny - when you flying the real thing that the first thing you watching. Simulator - didn't even think about it. Thinking about it now!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:55 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
I have noticed that the default setting in Phoenix is a light wind blowing - this could be the cause of your drifting.
I know, but that's not that. It's more about inertia. I went to my garden today and hovered my 250 in 4x4 feet box (snow can be useful for few things - easy to draw boxes) 4 lipos straight (upped head speed to 95% as well). Went out of the box 2 or 3 times. (by the way plastic blades suck flight time, I am putting carbons back on )

The went to Phoenix right after to have fresh memory. Phoenix feels like low gravity environment.... nothing like real thing, it's like flying in a soup? Hard to describe it. I fired up 600 nitro model and that was more like my 250 IRL. I can stop bloody 250 literally in place IRL. In Phoenix it will drift like on ice. Kind of like msr pendulum effect but in slow motion.

Forget about slow piros on Phoenix - I can do them IRL 80% of time, Phoenix, maybe 20%. I think sim doesn't really have enough sampling rate for controller, or something.. i's just not precise enough.

I am really puzzled. it have been like that since I've got it 2 months ago but now I have direct comparison. When flying circuits and FF it feels much more like real thing. Maybe it's 3D perception thing.
I am not saying this sim is a bad thing, it's just hover/precision flying which disagrees with me.
I wish i could try Real Flight with a controller.

If I have time this week, I'll do both video of RL and Phoenix one after another.
Last edited by AcidDrink; Dec 21, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:02 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Your RealFlight should have come with a cable that plugs your radio into the RF controller dongle thingy - then you will be able to use the same radio and same settings (kinda) in both simulators. It is possible that you are having performance issues. See if you can get the frame rate - if this drops below about 40fps, you won't have good physics calcs happening fast enough.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:25 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,930 Posts
I really don't see or feel that difference between the simulator and the real thing - both with the 450 and 500. I get the feeling everything feels like it is in the soup when you flying that 250 and it might be throwing off your perspective a little. Phoenix technical support is excellent and fast .. you might want to send them an email and see what they say.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:29 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
There is something wrong with the 250 in the new version. It's like a badly set up 250 - real loose feeling to it. You can go into the editor and turn the slider up to "advanced" setup... but this seemed to only increase the pitch range, making the heli prone to bogging and tail blow-outs. Realistic simulation, but pretty far from the way I have my 250 set up.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:52 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Your RealFlight should have come with a cable that plugs your radio into the RF controller dongle thingy - then you will be able to use the same radio and same settings (kinda) in both simulators. It is possible that you are having performance issues. See if you can get the frame rate - if this drops below about 40fps, you won't have good physics calcs happening fast enough.
I have over 700 fps when I turn off vsync. Not a problem here.

I'd really like to try Real Flight before spending , but demo works only with keyboard.

What you saying about badly setup - I think it's right, it feels like low head speed, too low pitch, overweight and binding links 250 (I know because mine was like that for first 10 minutes or so). Nothing like razor sharp, unforgivable precision of my 250.

Anyway, it's not that important, I can always shrink a 600 and I am going to email Phoenix support and see what they say.
Still great sim and I owe my zero crash record to it and I am still going to religiously practice on it every day.

By they way, Jasmine thanks for your 250 build videos. I'd be nowhere now without them.

p.s. I am going to get a 500 in Spring, so I'll be able to compare. For time being sim 500 flies almost like my real 250
Last edited by AcidDrink; Dec 21, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:25 PM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
270 Posts
This is great input guys. I have two blade 400s and havent even tried to hover them yet.
What I have noticed is on the sim, I can somewhat fly the 400, the same as I fly the blade 120sr in real life. It seems to me that something like the sr would be a next step before I go to the 400. Put it this way, I can fly the sr in the sim, better than me flying the 120sr. Of course this is scale flying, no 3D.
ejam is offline Find More Posts by ejam
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:15 PM
USA, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
CaptJac,
Just starting out I purchased a T-Rex 700N converted to electric and of course a Phoenix RC 2.5 flight Sim. Would like to take you up on your most gracious offer as I know how learning bad habits can always stand in your why! As you can probably tell by my login I am a cyclist and hopefully someday a great Scale Heli Pilot. My Skype name is "alsbike"
Alsbike is offline Find More Posts by Alsbike