HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:39 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
We have a very active helicopter port here, where all the news and police choppers run - one of these days I want to go out and video some take-offs and landings. Probably they would not be doing max performance take-offs out there, but they might be doing some flight training which could make for some interesting video.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:47 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
spin it up to 100% with a little negative pitch, hold a little forward and right, and slam the collective all the way up
http://www.copters.com/pilot/max_takeoff.html
You do that in an R22 and the only thing that will lift off the ground are the rotors - you'd rip them off the rotor head.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 04:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Yeah they mention that in the article. Works great with a Trex 500 though... it is a horrible way to get in the air unless you're going for shock value. There is considerable risk of something not functioning right too, and the gyro may not kick in properly, so you might get a take-off with a half-twist, in which case you don't want to be pushing forward cyclic. I'm supporting your point that this is a horrible thing for a beginner to do... but when you think you have the skills, it's a nice way to begin your flight with a little dramatic flair - just know what you're doing. The movements are still kinda the same though - push a little forward and to the right - it just happens really fast, and could go horribly wrong. The slow, smooth take-off almost always works right, and is a good way to go.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:40 PM
smoking crack is cheaper
North of Seattle
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
It's all good on havin the fast computer Captjac. I've got a new mucho fast processer coming for my laptop and as soon as I figure out which ram it will accept, I'll order that up too so I'll be good to go.
VooDuuChild is offline Find More Posts by VooDuuChild
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:08 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDuuChild View Post
It's all good on havin the fast computer Captjac. I've got a new mucho fast processer coming for my laptop and as soon as I figure out which ram it will accept, I'll order that up too so I'll be good to go.
Roger that - advise ground control when you ready to spool up!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:57 PM
West Texas
Joined Aug 2010
7 Posts
The Best Simulator (IMHO)...

First of all, Iím a newbie to RC Flying but (Trust me) Iím addicted for life. Iíve got far more planes, and helis than ability at this point, but Iím learning and progressing at a reasonable pace. One of the assets, concerning my learning curve, has been the purchase of the Phoenix Flight Simulator. Having purchased and utilized a few other simulators prior, I can assure you (Even as a Newbie) that the Phoenix is ďhead and shouldersĒ above the rest Iíve tried.

Everything from the planes, helis, locations, and flight characteristics are amazing. The latitude this program has is not to be believed. You can, basically, change nearly anything you want, and is quite easy to learn after a few sessions. I canít tell you how much of an asset this simulator has been to me and my training. Price per value itís (IMHO) the best out there. The ability to simultaneously be on-line, with another flyer, is worth its weight in gold.

I must also thank Capt. Jack, a wonderful instructor, who has given me many tips and has escalated my flying ability during this quest of mine. His patience and understanding have been so valuable to me. Iím in the process of building a new home, and he ďNeverĒ questions my determination or dedication when the house has to come first. If youíre new to RC flying setup some time with him, and heíll help you a great deal.
texasboy112 is offline Find More Posts by texasboy112
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Texas boy, have you tried RealFlight? There are really only two players - RealFlight and Phoenix. There is also Aerofly, but it's not very popular. I'm very interested in the assessment of folks who have tried both. IMO, as a training tool, they are on equal ground, with both having features the other could use - but the simplicity of setup and the better online offering mean that now that I have both, when I want to go simming, I still usually choose RealFlight.

As a user of both products, I am extremely confused by the almost universal assessment that Phoenix is better somehow. Usability isn't any better, and physics isn't any better, and gameplay isn't any better particularly online, so I don't really get it. I suspect this assessment is coming mostly from folks who know Phoenix is ok, and haven't tried RealFlight. It's so close to the real thing, they assume it can't be any better, so RealFlight can't possibly be any better... which it isn't, but it's not worse.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:09 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Being able to change the settings on my transmitter and test them on Phoenix was a major factor for me - still is. I bought Phoenix well before Realflight was in their league. Never looked back since then. They have a great product. They are continuously upgrading their product with no cost to the user. Their technical support is outstanding. Their price is right. I never heard once anything but the highest praise from anyone using Phoenix. I have recommended them to many a newbie - and I will continue to do so. I look forward to reading and posting comments on your Realflight training thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
I just want to make sure I recommend the right thing when I talk to people. The rising popularity of Phoenix is not to be ignored. I'm trying to create a RF thread, but I want it to be moderated - not sure how we do that these days...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:57 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356692

Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:37 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Imo RealFlight price is too high. I am not into aerial combat or anything like that, I just need helicopters. I'd like to have 3D flying fields tho.

By the way CaptJac, any spots for the lessons? I have got 2 weeks off and it's snowing outside so I thought maybe I could fly with you on the sim.
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Dec 18, 2010, 04:34 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
By the way CaptJac, any spots for the lessons? I have got 2 weeks off and it's snowing outside so I thought maybe I could fly with you on the sim.
Lots of spots - long as Santa doesn't book everything!! Them reindeer can be mighty pushy - or is that pulley? Drop a message in my box - add me to your Skype contact list - and meet you out at the heli pad!! Watch out for those hoof prints though and don't step in any of that reindeer ... ooooh dear !!! Please wipe off your feet before climbing in the heli.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Dec 19, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:57 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
Imo RealFlight price is too high.
It's because of the high-quality mock radio they give you. A comparable radio is the DX7 - Phoenix plus a DX7 is $310. Phoenix plus the lowest quality radio you can use with it is... About $200... that's more than RealFlight, and you're stuck using your actual radio with the simulator (but you own a radio which is a plus). This grounded me last night when its battery ran out... RealFlight still worked no problem, and you can use your regular radio with it if you want - which supports full pass-thru so your radio settings will mean something, just like in Phoenix. It's a wash - they're equally expensive overall. They are charging about $70 for the mock radio, and it's a really good one, not like the USB radios they sell on eBay - it's basically a Futaba radio, without the transmitter.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 04:11 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It's because of the high-quality mock radio they give you. A comparable radio is the DX7 -
AH, I understand..

I'll may consider it then. (would be great if they had a version w/o radio tho).

By the way i just had a lesson with CaptJack - absolutely wonderful! Thanks again for your time Jack and really great and valuable instructions! I've never seen anyone flying so precisely on Phoenix! (talking about Jack, not myself, hehe)
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:43 PM
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Nov 2010
150 Posts
wk 2603

hi all i have phoenix v3 and it does not recognise my tx wk 2603 will my tx work on this sim any help would be much appreciated
skejah1063 is offline Find More Posts by skejah1063