HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2010, 02:52 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,999 Posts
Glad to have you aboard. STRONGLY advise before lifting your 450 off the ground - strap some training gear on it and scoot it around on the ground for a few batteries to get the feel of it. The simulator is a LOT more forgiving than the real world - and even with training gear - the 450 won't survive a hard landing or crash more than a foot or two in the air. Practice take offs and landings (2 second hovers) over and over again until you can lift off vertically without it rolling. Hovering more than a couple of seconds requires constant correction and although it looks easy it takes a LOT of practice - especially with a 450. Let me know when you ready to start training on Phoenix. Good luck and good training.

captJac
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:50 PM
Joined Dec 2008
111 Posts
I'm a Realflight G4.5 user and I'm open to helping anyone out! In real life I'm a pretty accomplished 3D flyer with both Planes and Helis and I'm also an instructor for a few people. If you need any help in the sim, shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to help!
watchingcarpet is offline Find More Posts by watchingcarpet
Old Nov 05, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
i just got phoenix to help learn helis. im good with planes but heli is a hole new game. if your still offering services please send me and e-mail. matd1382@yahoo.com

just an f.y.i. i have a blade 400 3d pro. its my 1st and only heli as of now.
matd1382 is offline Find More Posts by matd1382
Last edited by matd1382; Nov 05, 2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old Nov 06, 2010, 05:21 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matd1382 View Post
i just got phoenix to help learn helis. im good with planes but heli is a hole new game. if your still offering services please send me and e-mail.
Hi Mat - email been sent .. just back from 4 weeks flying so getting my feet back on the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:46 AM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
.. just back from 4 weeks flying so getting my feet back on the ground.
Hi Jack, hope the rest of your trip to Florida was enjoyable, sorry I missed you on Skype yesterday, was working from home and didn't notice the message till you were offline.

Been practising the things we spoke about, although had little time to get on the SIM the last two weeks, i'd like to organise another session with you in a weeks time or so if you're settled back in at home. Hope the cold weather wasn't too jarring!
jagsta is offline Find More Posts by jagsta
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:32 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsta View Post
Hope the cold weather wasn't too jarring!
From 85 degrees to 45 degrees - a wake up call for sure!! Still jet-lagging a little or that might be frozen brain cells. Gives me something to look forward to next year. Simulator wise - I'm still running the 2.5 version on the desktop computer - so you can choose. Let me know when you ready to fly.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Nov 09, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:20 AM
smoking crack is cheaper
North of Seattle
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
Wow, as soon as my Phoenix shows up, I'll have to get a headset and give this a try if you're still taking on students. Of course, I'll have to do double-coordination as I'll have to go to my friend's house with my laptop as I can't get high-speed internet here without spending almost $100 US.

Isn't technology amazing!!??

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholor for offering this brilliant service!
O Captain! My Captain!
VooDuuChild is offline Find More Posts by VooDuuChild
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:25 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
In Seattle the internet is expensive? WTH?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:49 PM
smoking crack is cheaper
North of Seattle
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
I'm about 30 minutes north of Seattle at the base of some mountains on the side of a valley and our phone lines are so old, we can't even get DSL. And we're so far out in the sticks, we can't even get cable, so cable internet is outta the question, so we're stuck with dial-up or Hewes-Net satellite internet which is minimum $80 a month....ouch, not worth it....heck, we're lucky if a cell phone has one bar here.
VooDuuChild is offline Find More Posts by VooDuuChild
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:54 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Sounds peaceful
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:18 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Sounds peaceful
OK Jasmine - you've had your rest. Now get your Clearview simulator going and start training the line of students forming at your door!!

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:51 AM
Holland
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
will the Phoenix simulator work with the Dynam USB flight sumulator??
DirkD is offline Find More Posts by DirkD
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:08 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkD View Post
will the Phoenix simulator work with the Dynam USB flight sumulator??
Phoenix list on their webpage the controllers (transmitters) that will work. http://www.phoenix-sim.com/support.htm

Scroll down to "What do I need to successfully use Phoenix?"
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:27 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,999 Posts
I want to emphasize again .. I do NOT teach 3D flying. I teach basic hovering - slow forward flight - basic circuits. When you get those skills developed - then you ready for the aerobatic circus. Jasmine will be more than happy to take over.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:36 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Yes, once you get going, I can help you learn additional skills... but I don't currently have a copy of Phoenix. I use RealFlight version 3.5 to 5.5, any version is fine. I watch this thread so if anyone has specific questions, I have been working on a video showing more advanced moves.

There are some drills you can do which provide a relatively safe way to advance your skills once you have learned basic hovering. Flying the box is one - make a box about 50 feet on either side of you, stand in front of the box (not in the middle) and fly to each corner in order - variations are: hovering maneuvers at each corner (piros, ascents, descents), fly the box backwards, clockwise/counterclockwise patterns, and all of the above inverted.