HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:30 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Idea
Phoenix Simulator Flight School

If you learning to fly on your own - it's like teaching yourself golf - you whack at it a while and start realizing it harder than you thought. You get to a certain point - can't seem to make any more progress - hit a wall - or in most cases - crash into a wall (over and over again) - and eventually give up. Don't have access to a flying club or an instructor? Don't despair. Help is not only on the way - it is here!! The Phoenix Simulator Flight School is in its 4th year! Hundreds of students have taken the course. How much does it cost? NICHTS - NARDA - ZILCH - its FREE!! No hidden costs. No unhidden costs. OK - one hidden cost. You have to do home work and you need FAQs 102 for the study guide and homework assignments. Why am I doing it? I'm having more fun than my red fire truck when I was six!! I been a teacher since (you don't want to know) and I'm just giving back a little what was given to me from some mighty fine people. Wanna jump in? Here's how it works: Install Phoenix to the latest version - it is 4.0-q as of this update - install Skype for a crystal clear voice connection (it is also free) - we setup a time - plug in our headsets (you need a headset so you can talk and fly at the same) - I'll walk you through the settings on Phoenix - help you program your transmitter - answer any questions you might have about collective pitch helicopters (we'll be using the Trex-500 Sport and FAQs 102 for training) - connect to the Phoenix server - and meet out at the flying field! It is 1-on-1 training - the first session is the longest - about 90 minutes. The 2nd session is usually half that time. The 3rd session is up to you as you will be pretty well on your own by that time - other than a quick look over your shoulder and maybe a nudge or two of correction. No - it's not as good as flying the real thing out at a flying club - but it pretty darn good. "Spectator mode" lets me observe every fine detail of your helicopter and your control sticks so I can see what you are doing and provide you feedback so you aren't spending all your time practicing the wrong things and you can be learning the right things really fast. On occasion I'll take the controls - but you will be doing most of the flying and I'll be doing most of the observing. After 1-2 lessons you'll be soloing but I'll be hanging around in the hangar if you need any help or want to show me how good you gotten.

My credentials: Credentials?? Being retired and any excuse to fly. Most of my training was spent unlearning what I taught myself. I went to 3 flying clubs in Florida to get some hands-on instruction. I joined the Florida Ocala Flying club and I live in Germany - go figure!! Teacher wise - I left aerospace engineering and put on a prof's hat 30 years ago. Taught microprocessors and control logic - if I learned anything about teaching - it was the students taught me more than I taught them - and learning was a lot more fun than teaching! I wrote a beginners heli book on coaxials Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQ's 101 and after popular remand - wrote Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQ 102. Both books got a full page review in RotorWorld magazine. FAQs 102 is used as a study guide for the training and I'm glad to send you a sample version if you write your email address here (or in my message box). Ace pilot I'm not. I'm not even close!! I enjoy scale flying and precision hovering - or at least as precision as I'm able to fly. It's like the old saying goes - those who can't do it - teach it!! So much for my credentials - here's how to get started. The waiting queue is FIFO (first-in-first-out) - 5 steps to spin up.

1st step - send me a PM - or scratch a msg on this post.
2nd step - install Skype and trade Skype names so we can voice connect.
3rd step - do your homework assignment.
4th step - walk you through setting up Phoenix for training
5th step - connect on Phoenix.

be prepared to learn a lot and fun a lot ...

captJac
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Dec 27, 2013 at 04:41 AM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:01 AM
Joined May 2006
367 Posts
I know that learning on your own is time and money consuming. If I knew what I know now when I started, I would spend the money for a simulator early on. Also, getting in touch with a competent helper, local or 10 000 miles away could make a world of difference.

Very nice use of technology and skills. Your students are lucky. Keep up the good work!
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:01 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Thanks tb for the encouragement. Anyone who teaches knows it more fun than learning!! Phoenix sim camera renditions are almost like being at the flying site and when you add voice, only thing missing is the sun protection. A nice feature of Phoenix is the "spectator" mode - which automatically follows the other helicopter so I'm seeing exactly what they are seeing (and at times ducking!!) As you said - really amazing technology - and for the price (cost of the simulator) you not only can train, but you can fly with your friends and chase each other around and laugh and giggle and if you don't feel like a kid at the park - it's been too many years since you been to a park!!

ADVERTISEMENT:
Anyone thinking about getting started - post a reply here or send me a PM. Incidentally - first part of the course is setting up your simulator and all the things you can do to make it play nice.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Aug 05, 2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:23 PM
USA, Mt, Missoula
Joined Nov 2009
105 Posts
I would love to do that sometime, I have all the right things too. I am just trying to learn a little more orientation on my T-Rex 450, and I would love to also get my forward flight down.
forestc is offline Find More Posts by forestc
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:56 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
I'd be happy to setup a schedule with you and give you some help with orientation and forward flight training. For the 450 - I'd recommend using the Trex-500 on Phoenix. It is a lot more stable and easier to train on. I'm available most of the time - keeping in mind the time difference - Germany is 8 hours ahead of Montana.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:07 AM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
I can't get my Phoenix online....
McKrackin is offline Find More Posts by McKrackin
Old Apr 27, 2010, 02:00 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
are you updated to the latest version ? version-2.5V
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:11 AM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Yup.
It says it cannot reach the server.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:35 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Often it is a problem with the firewall in Windows or your router.
http://www.phoenix-sim.com/support.htm#4100

Maybe worth writing them an email with a description of the problem. Their technical support is usually spot on in helping resolve issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:42 AM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
All my firewalls are off.
Thanks for the link.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:10 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
most welcome. Keep me posted on your progress.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:20 AM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
It got too complicated.Port forwarding and static IP's...Sheesh.
I'll fly alone I guess.lol..
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:55 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
I know just enough about computers to be dangerous. One time I used to be a lot dangerous when I was teaching the stuff. One important question if you know the answer or can find the answer I can probably help you with the port forwarding. What is the IP address of your router? Should be something like 192.168.2.1
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:05 AM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
That's it exactly but I don't know the username or password since Linksys set it up remotely.

The username should be blank and password admin but it's not.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:17 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
if it is a newer router - try admin for both
RCG Plus Member