Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,469 Posts
““It did compile but did not upload””
OK so the GPS Emulator is not in my problem solving loop

Yes, my board looks like yours
Front, one solder bridge at JP7 (SRV5), no shield and no GPS connection
Back, three jumpers, Vcc pin3 to pin 7, Mux3 to D8 and throttle Sig to D13

When I connect the FTDI cable AdruPilot appears to power up running.
Did I miss a step between compile and upload?

After several attempts still no lock
I press reset, then click upload but makes no difference
Disconnecting CTRL port makes no difference

I will get a scope
FTDI pin2 (brown) is labeled CTS but the schematic shows it GND at 0V, correct?
I assume pin6 (green) is DTR?
During upload will both RX-1 and TX-0 signal?

edit
Just found (saw) the /guide/troubleshooting#upload message
I’ll be back soon
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Last edited by chaosMurphy; May 04, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2010, 12:50 PM
S. Wales
Joined Jun 2008
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
Well, the problem is in ap_2_6_header.h but I don't know why you'd be having trouble and I didn't with the same source.

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/linux...gram-mean.html

Try the one attached.

I got rid of all my old Arduino0017 versions and the ArduPilot_2_6 compiles with the edits to the "GPS_PROTOCOL == 0".
Double clicking on "ap_2_6_header.h" opens it with notepad, I can't find #define GPS_PROTOCOL 2 anywhere. There is #define GPS_PROTOCOL 3 near the top. What am I doing wrong?
Sorry to be such a nuisance on such a fundamental problem.
Thanks.
Jon
jon davies is offline Find More Posts by jon davies
Old May 04, 2010, 01:52 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Please download and install the latest Java
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 04, 2010, 02:42 PM
S. Wales
Joined Jun 2008
450 Posts
Done, but I was up to date with Java.
Double clicked on ap_2_6_header.h in Ardu_2_6, same result, opened in Notebook and no sign of #define GPS_PROTOCOL 2. Tried "Edit"-"Find"- #define GPS_PROTOCOL 2. No result. I think I must be looking in the wrong place.
Thanks so much for your help with this.
Jon
Old May 04, 2010, 04:04 PM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
The 11th line down (even counting blank lines) of my edited ap_2_6_header.h tab reads:
#define GPS_PROTOCOL 0 // 0 = NMEA, 1=SIRF, 2=uBlox, 3 = ArduIMU, 5 = Simulated GPS mode (Debug) HK from 3

The define GPS_PROTOCOL 2 means using uBlox GPS and you assign the 2 value (as the default value may be another - it was originally 3)

is this helpful?
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Old May 04, 2010, 04:43 PM
S. Wales
Joined Jun 2008
450 Posts
What are you opening ap_2_6_header.h with? The Notepad file I get is continuous text. I think I may be opening the file the wrong way.
Jon
Old May 04, 2010, 05:15 PM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
arduino0018 is the editor you should use. Download and install arduino0018, run it and File ... Open ... browse to your folder with the pde files and click on any .pde file to open the sketch. Then select the proper tab at the top and edit away. It is a good thing to File ... Save after editing any of the tab's code ... hope this helps.

FYI I have arduino17 as well and that is why I open the files by that method.
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Old May 04, 2010, 05:48 PM
S. Wales
Joined Jun 2008
450 Posts
OK. Thanks. The ap_2_6_header.h is included in the TAB selection when the ArduPilot_2_6 is opened with Arduino0018. I was trying to open it just by double clicking which gave the Notepad file hence the confusion. I've done the edits and now ArduPilot_2_6 compiles.
I'll stop now and carry on tomorrow.
Thanks HappyKillmore and thanks rshep. I was beginning to think I'd be stuck on this for a while.
Step 1 now complete.
jon
Last edited by jon davies; May 09, 2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old May 04, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,469 Posts
I need some help please
Re my post 91
Error uploading

How do I know if this thing has auto reset?

“Disconnect digital pins 0 and 1 while uploading (they can connected and used after the code has been uploaded).”
What/where are digital pins 0 and 1?

Thank you
John
Old May 04, 2010, 09:45 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
John, which step are you on? Is your ArduIMU working correctly?

The digital pins I assume they are talking about are the ones where the "Remzibi GPS" is connected to in my photo above. If you have anything other than the FTDI cable and servo tester on the CTRL input it will not upload. That includes GPS units, ArduIMU, ArduShield or Remzibi OSD.... nothing but FTDI cable and optionally a servo tester.

You shouldn't have to touch the reset button....ever....ok, well maybe there are rare occasions I press the ArduIMU's reset so it re-sends the GPS config messages (PMTK sentences).
Old May 04, 2010, 09:51 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
On another note...for those of you on step #5 I've uploaded some new source code. The ArduIMU stuff is really slick now for NMEA. I'd say it's BETTER than the uBlox code!!!

Download here: Source

I've added more information about what's going on with the ArduIMU's boot sequence. Up till now, the yellow light was lit and nothing else until GPS fix/lock happened. Now it shows you when it's sending the PMTK commands, it shows you when the GPS is talking but doesn't have lock yet and then finally when it does have lock like always. The best part about these changes is the speed of the blinking blue light shows you the Hertz setting your GPS is using. The faster the blink, the higher the Hertz....so you can tell if your PMTK changes worked....

Code:
// LED Status indication
//----------------------
// Blue + Red flash twice = Sending GPS configuration commands
// Blue flashing = Receiving data from GPS but no fix lock yet (flash rate shows hertz/messages per second)
// Blue solid = GPS fix locked
// Red solid = Gyro saturation
// Yellow solid = Speed too slow and yaw correction supressed
Old May 04, 2010, 10:47 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon davies View Post
OK. Thanks. The ap_2_6_header.h is included in the TAB selection when the ArduPilot_2_6 is opened with Arduino0018. I was trying to open it just by double clicking which gave the Notepad file hence the confussion. I've done the edits and now ArduPilot_2_6 compiles.
I'll stop now and carry on tomorrow.
Thanks HappyKillmore and thanks rshep. I was beginning to think I'd be stuck on this for a while.
jon
Gentlemen, you can also right click on these .pde files and open with wordpad. I would not edit them in there, but you can view them and the formatting will be correct.
Old May 05, 2010, 04:47 AM
Joined Aug 2009
103 Posts
no more then one month ago I've sold Remzibi's GPS and bought uBlox to be compatible with ArduIMU and now I'm stuck with gps date and time

I've got diydrones pressure sensor (baro) which is supported by arduimu and gives current pressure and temperature. what about adding these values to the arduimu binary protocol and display them on OSD ?
cholo is offline Find More Posts by cholo
Last edited by cholo; May 05, 2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old May 05, 2010, 07:07 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,469 Posts
“”John, which step are you on? Is your ArduIMU working correctly?””

Happy,
I am on step 1

““”Next, you'll need to select the COM port for your FTDI cable in the Arduino Editor under Tools, Serial Port and then select your COM port. Please make sure that you've hit the save button after editing the two tabs above and then click the "Compile and Upload" (shows just "Upload" when you put your mouse over it) button.””

After about 25 seconds, your blue light should start blinking. Place your servo tester setting to the "middle" of the dial (1.5ms).”””

My blue and yellow light starts to flash the moment I connect the FTDI cable

I click "Compile and Upload"
Blue and yellow never stop flashing

After more than 30 seconds this message;
avrdude : stk500_getsync() : not insync : resp = 0x00
avrdude : stk500_disable() : protocol error : expect 0x00, expect 0x14, resp = 0x51

My board looks like yours, only the FTDI cable connected.

“”Is your ArduIMU working correctly?””
I do not know
What is the warmfuzzy after connecting the FTDI cable to a cold AdruIM?
What is the warmfuzzy for a proper upload?
What is the warmfuzzy for a correctly working AdruIMU ?

Thanks for enduring my jump start and your lasting tolerance,
John
Old May 05, 2010, 09:48 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo View Post
no more then one month ago I've sold Remzibi's GPS and bought uBlox to be compatible with ArduIMU and now I'm stuck with gps date and time

I've got diydrones pressure sensor (baro) which is supported by arduimu and gives current pressure and temperature. what about adding these values to the arduimu binary protocol and display them on OSD ?
cholo, No, you're not stuck with GPS date and time, that's what you DON'T get with uBlox, you do get everything else. Alt, speed, lat, long, etc. Anything the ArduPilot knows about can be shown on the OSD. It will work just like another object in the config tool, only you have to tell it where to display it in the ArduPilot source code.

chaosMurphy, try these steps:
1) Connect your FTDI cable to your computer (other end doesn't matter)
2) Click Start, Run
3) Type "devmgmt.msc" (no quotes) and hit ok
4) Open Ports (COM & LPT)
5) Right-click on your FTDI (USB Serial Port (COMXX))
6) Click Port Settings, Advanced
7) Make sure "Set RTS on Close" is checked
*NOTE: You don't need to mess with any of the baud rate settings. Even though it says 9600, don't worry. This has no effect.

To answer your other point about "Is it working" the answer would be no, your IMU is not uploading correctly. When you hit the upload button, the Arduino Editor compiles your source code. The hardware device just does it's own thing since the computer isn't talking to it yet. Once it says the size of the binary file in the window at the bottom (ie: Binary sketch size: 18484 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)) then it actually starts uploading. At that point, only the green power button will be on, all other lights will be off. When it's done uploading it will say "Done Uploading" in the greenish bar right above where it said the size of the binary sketch and then other lights (yellow and blue) will start blinking or go solid.
Last edited by HappyKillmore; May 05, 2010 at 09:55 AM.