SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2010, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Step #5 is taking shape for those of you following along.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2010, 04:41 PM
S. Wales
Joined Jun 2008
450 Posts
No 0017, well spotted. What did I do wrong?
Jon
jon davies is offline Find More Posts by jon davies
Old May 02, 2010, 05:08 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I don't know for sure. It was quite a battle for me to get 0017 to stop running when I double clicked. I ended up renaming the 0017 folder and messing with a bunch of file type settings. The easy way is to open 0018 and then open the sketch from there...
Old May 02, 2010, 06:04 PM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
... double click gives me 0016 and I cannot get 0018 assigned to the "open with ... always". I too use the open 18 ... open sketch ... routine.
By the way Happy, thanks for all the work you are doing (notice the "ing") as "we" want you to keep creating ...
Frustration is waiting for those #@&^! Drones parts ... so I can get past step1.
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Old May 02, 2010, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Thanks! It's getting there. I'm just a few lines of code away from having the display working perfect on the OSD....

Then I've got some tweaks to do on the Emulator and ArduIMU Test app and I'll be posting some updated code. Then I've got some debugging to do with Igor's new ground station release....

And then more work on my To-Do list!!!

I can't wait for the ArduMega to get here!
Old May 03, 2010, 02:14 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Well, things are starting to wind down on this project. I still have lots to do on my "To-Do" list, most importantly getting the updates done to Remzibi's OSD config tool so we can start using the Artificial Horizon....

So tonight I was playing around with everything hooked up (including an ArduShield V1) and I got to thinking about sending the telemetry data down to a ground station. So I got out my X-Bee modules... what do you know, it works!

Now for the real question: How do I fit all of this in my plane?

As a side note, all this stuff pulls lots of power. The OSD and X-Bee's alone are big current draws so make sure you have enough to power everything! Look at the LED lights. If they're dim, you need MORE POWER!
Old May 03, 2010, 04:09 AM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
... your plane ... you mean I now have to get a plane as well! When will this list of required components end ...

Happy, have you forgotten about your vTX and videocam ...
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Last edited by rshep; May 03, 2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: missing components
Old May 03, 2010, 08:32 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshep View Post
... your plane ... you mean I now have to get a plane as well! When will this list of required components end ...

Happy, have you forgotten about your vTX and videocam ...
I hear ya! It just keeps growing!
Old May 03, 2010, 09:34 AM
Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2010
6 Posts
I have been trying to fix the cycle_count issue but, never thought to check every cycle..
I got GPS_checksum errors out out of ArudIMU, on every 4th message..
I will be verifying your new code as you release it. I don't have the absolute pressure sensor, but will soon ( I ordered $34 SPI version at Sf thinking it was I2C, will exchange for $20 850 I2C).
I modified ArduIMU v1 to perform as v2 with I2C bus, and D8 for "Air_Start",
I am using V1 airspeed shield, I use Ublox 406 with wass enabled and get 3D/DGPS locks, I have EM406 and E-85 from Eagletree also for testing.
Thanks for getting back to this project...
MacDev is offline Find More Posts by MacDev
Old May 03, 2010, 09:57 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
840 Posts
Happy- This is a great summary of the steps. A few more questions:

The remzibi 12 to 5 volt converter runs really hot. Is there a way to draw 5 volts from ardu via the gps cable if it is powered from a BEC via the IMU? If this can be done, is there still a way to monitor the voltages of the main and auxiliary batteries? I guess if we use a BEC we could run everything off one battery if we didn't get video interference.

Where is the input for the analog pressure sensor on Ardu? Is it just an ADC port and does it need filtering? Can this sensor be shared with a remzibi ADC port?

In your list of components, don't forget the current sensor and the RSSI connection from the RX.
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old May 03, 2010, 10:54 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
MacDev, I'll work on finishing the last couple variables on uBlox (time and date are missing) and I'll update the EM406 code so it will work too.

BloomingtonFPV, yes, the OSD does run really hot. To monitor two batteries, you'll have to plug into both Veng and Vvid and therefore, you'll be running the 7805. It is possible to power the OSD from an external BEC, but I found that running the whole system (ArduPilot, ArduShield, ArduIMU, OSD and X-Bee's) seemed to have a flaw somewhere. I'm assuming one or two of the components couldn't handle the current. I had the BEC on the ArduIMU (at one end of the chain) and by the time we got to the X-Bee (at the other end) the power LED was very dim. So I ended up plugging in a 3S LiPo to the OSD (and left the BEC on the the other end) and everything came to life.

I haven't done any current draw testing but I can't imagine it's over the 3A limit of the BEC.

The pressure sensor looks to be on analog 3. Yes, it does need to be connected to the ArduPilot, but there's a whole row of analog pins that only get used by the ArduShield or Thermopiles. Your best bet would be to read the pressure sensor and then output another custom string to the OSD ($M commands) indicating the value of the pressure sensor.

Current sensor and RSSI are not really a part of this project. Are you hoping I'll do a writeup on that?
Old May 03, 2010, 11:45 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
BloomingtonFPV, yes, the OSD does run really hot. To monitor two batteries, you'll have to plug into both Veng and Vvid and therefore, you'll be running the 7805. It is possible to power the OSD from an external BEC, but I found that running the whole system (ArduPilot, ArduShield, ArduIMU, OSD and X-Bee's) seemed to have a flaw somewhere. I'm assuming one or two of the components couldn't handle the current. I had the BEC on the ArduIMU (at one end of the chain) and by the time we got to the X-Bee (at the other end) the power LED was very dim. So I ended up plugging in a 3S LiPo to the OSD (and left the BEC on the the other end) and everything came to life.

I haven't done any current draw testing but I can't imagine it's over the 3A limit of the BEC.
Remzibi cautioned me not to use the 5 volt on the OSD for much more than it is currently doing. Perhaps we should not use the 5 volt line on the connection between the OSD and ARDU, and power ARDU through the IMU via a BEC. The OSD will still get hot, but that shouldn't be a problem once we're in the air.

Quote:

The pressure sensor looks to be on analog 3. Yes, it does need to be connected to the ArduPilot, but there's a whole row of analog pins that only get used by the ArduShield or Thermopiles. Your best bet would be to read the pressure sensor and then output another custom string to the OSD ($M commands) indicating the value of the pressure sensor.
Is there a function in your software to plot $M commands? I can probably do the gain computations to convert to MPH when I construct the $M string in Ardu.

Quote:
Current sensor and RSSI are not really a part of this project. Are you hoping I'll do a writeup on that?
I'll put together a how-to on the current sensor and RSSI at some point so we have all this info in one place. The big problem is that the Hall effect sensors that I've been using caused a lot of interference that reduced my range and caused lots of glitching. I got rid of it by using ferrite rings (maybe didn't help?) and switching to Corona synthesized receivers. I believe that the current sensor is a very necessary safety feature and the values I get from a well-calibrated system are within 3% of what mAh goes back into the battery after I fly.

This does raise the issue of how much these different components will affect signals. I'm putting my electronics in the front of my easystar, the receiver in a hatch under the wing, and the video tx on the tail. Hopefully that is enough separation. I guess this is an empirical question...
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old May 03, 2010, 08:31 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Yes, according to Remzibi you can have multiple $M commands. I'm planning on adding one for Roll and Pitch from the ArduIMU. No reason that the pressure sensor's reading couldn't get added to that.

I have been steering away from Corona Synth towards Corona Crystals.... because the "reboot" time is so long on those synth RX's.
Old May 03, 2010, 09:08 PM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,467 Posts
Please help, blue lock never goes solid

I am not sure if ArduPilot_2_6.pde compiled or uploaded. I saved changes on both tabs. Clicked UPLOAD and short time later the message read as follows…
avrdude : stk500_getsync() : not insync : resp = 0x00
avrdude : stk500_disable() : protocol error : expect 0x00, expect 0x14, resp = 0x51

>>>this step went as anticipated>>> When you launch the emulator, chances are good it will automatically find the right COM port. Click the button "Disconnect" and select Options, Baud, 38,400, Click Connect and then Start at the bottom left.

>>>I am stuck here >>> So you should be able to look at your ArduPilot and the blue light should be on solid. This indicates you have a GPS lock. It is important you get the solid blue light at this point.

The lights show as follows
Power - Solid Red
Lock – Flashing Blue
Stat – Flashing yellow same rate as blue lock

In lieu of the servo tester CTRL is from RX CH5 via three-position switch
No other RX channels connected at this time

CH5 SW UP
Mux – red
Mode – off

SW Center
Mux – red
Mode – green

SW Down
Mux – off
Mode – off

Thanks
John
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old May 03, 2010, 10:00 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
It did compile but did not upload. With the ArduPilot (not the ArduIMU), you need to make sure of the following when trying to program:

1) Shield is not connected.
2) There is nothing connected to the GPS pins

It should look like this

Not like this