HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2010, 02:52 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
I am using the original version from the repository but selected the NMEA for the GPS_PROTOCOL and changed the baud_rate as you indicated.

I changed shield version to 0 and -1 (red and no shield) but didn't work either...

I can see the messages in Hyperterminal when ArduPilot starts up so the ardupilot is programming the GPS module when it boots up.

I am using Ardupilot 2.6 from the repository. Should I use the version that you posted? Is it different from the 2.6 available on the repository?

MIG-29
MIG-29 is offline Find More Posts by MIG-29
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2010, 03:41 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG-29 View Post
I am using Ardupilot 2.6 from the repository. Should I use the version that you posted? Is it different from the 2.6 available on the repository?

MIG-29
Yes, very different. I'm doing some testing right now with just the ArduPilot and a NMEA GPS. I see what you mean. I'm not getting a lock either. Give me a little while to get it fixed.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 22, 2010, 11:51 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Ok, I've posted another version of my source. It started off as 2.6 and has had quite a few changes made. A vast majority have to do with NMEA parsing and Remzibi based messaging (GPGGA and GPRMC output and other custom output messages). If you're not using my source, all bets are off.

This source with settings already set for NMEA messages and the emulator output can be downloaded here: Modified ArduPilot 2.6
My GPS Emulator can be downloaded here: GPS Emulator and ArduIMUTest App

Here's a bumpy flight around Paris with hardware-in-the-loop feedback (pitch, heading and throttle ONLY).

Instructions on how to run this simulation can be found here: GPS Emulator for ArduPilot with Google Maps

My biggest concern is this code
Code:
long get_bearing(struct Location *loc1, struct Location *loc2)
{
	long off_x = loc2->lng - loc1->lng;
	long off_y = (loc2->lat - loc1->lat) * scaleLongUp;
	long bearing =  9000 + atan2(-off_y, off_x) * 5729.57795;
	if (bearing < 0) bearing += 36000;
	return bearing;
}
This code is the "brains" behind the ArduPilot. It determines where the plane is going to go and the accuracy (in my testing) is pretty awful.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:20 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Hi,

I have done that simulation before but using Ublox GPS. I will try tomorrow morning at the office the simulation with the NMEA GPS (Remzibi OSD's GPS) and the source posted by you.

Thanks,
MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
Ok, I've posted another version of my source. It started off as 2.6 and has had quite a few changes made. A vast majority have to do with NMEA parsing and Remzibi based messaging (GPGGA and GPRMC output and other custom output messages). If you're not using my source, all bets are off.

This source with settings already set forg to go and the accuracy (in my testing) is pretty awful.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:24 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Do you think that beside setting shield version, GPS type (NMEA) and baudrate in the code, there is something else that needs to be done in order to have Ardupilot (with ArdushieldV2) working with the NMEA GPS used by Remzibi OSD?

It would be quite strange to have this situation since Ardupilot (at least according to the manual) is supposed to work with a NMEA GPS without magic tricks... And it is already working with Ublox GPS without magic tricks...

MIG-29

Quote:
Yes, very different. I'm doing some testing right now with just the ArduPilot and a NMEA GPS. I see what you mean. I'm not getting a lock either. Give me a little while to get it fixed.
Last edited by MIG-29; May 23, 2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:44 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
MIG-29, there is a thread on DIY drones where DR Mike Black is battling a similar thing as you are.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/imu-v2-to-ardupilot

I think this is the fix:

Code:
// This hack is to control the V2 shield so we can read the serial from
// the XBEE radios - which is not implemented yet
void setGPSMux(void)
{
#if SHIELD_VERSION < 1 || GPS_PROTOCOL == 3
digitalWrite(7, LOW); //Remove Before Fly Pull Up resistor
#else
#endif
}
I've sent Jordi an email asking him to explain the MUX settings on ArduShield v2 but haven't heard back yet.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:57 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
“”Do you think that beside setting shield version, GPS type (NMEA) and baudrate in the code, there is something else that needs to be done in order to have Ardupilot (with ArdushieldV2) working with the NMEA GPS used by Remzibi OSD? “”

MIG-29

I am a newbe to most of this UAV hardware jargon and probably missed something with respect to your specific problem … but I think … I have the above configuration and after less than four minutes blue LED lock. I have not flown this arrangement (post 139) yet. I assume it is the thermopiles (not GPS) telling the servos to move and apparently in the correct direction.

John
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old May 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Hi there,

Wouldn't the change make the "then" and "else" statements equivalent/identical?

I will give it a try anyway.

MIG-29

Quote:
MIG-29, there is a thread on DIY drones where DR Mike Black is battling a similar thing as you are.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/imu-v2-to-ardupilot

I think this is the fix:

Code:
// This hack is to control the V2 shield so we can read the serial from
// the XBEE radios - which is not implemented yet
void setGPSMux(void)
{
#if SHIELD_VERSION < 1 || GPS_PROTOCOL == 3
#else
#endif
}
I've sent Jordi an email asking him to explain the MUX settings on ArduShield v2 but haven't heard back yet.
Old May 23, 2010, 09:20 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Hi Murphy,

Are you using Ublox GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosMurphy View Post
“”Do you think that beside setting shield version, GPS type (NMEA) and baudrate in the code, there is something else that needs to be done in order to have Ardupilot (with ArdushieldV2) working with the NMEA GPS used by Remzibi OSD? “”

MIG-29

I am a newbe to most of this UAV hardware jargon and probably missed something with respect to your specific problem … but I think … I have the above configuration and after less than four minutes blue LED lock. I have not flown this arrangement (post 139) yet. I assume it is the thermopiles (not GPS) telling the servos to move and apparently in the correct direction.

John
Old May 23, 2010, 10:52 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG-29 View Post
Hi there,

Wouldn't the change make the "then" and "else" statements equivalent/identical?

I will give it a try anyway.

MIG-29
Yes. At this point, it's only a stab in the dark. Nobody seems to know how to set the mux to get things to work with Shield V2. All the testing that Jordi, Jose, Doug and Jason seem to do involve only the EM406 connection and a uBlox. The don't test anything else. Until Jordi pops up, we can only guess. I'd have it solved if I hadn't fried my shield.
Old May 23, 2010, 02:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
103 Posts
hi,
is the latest version finished for OSD Ardu1.5 because I've got compilation error at line 232 in remzibi.pde:
> Serial.print(gpsDate,DEC); //Date
> Serial.print(",");
> Serial.print(gpsTime,DEC); //Time

I've removed ",DEC", set REMZIBI_ARDU_FIRMWARE_14 and after upgrading ardupilot I lost some OSD data such as longitude, roll etc.
cholo is offline Find More Posts by cholo
Last edited by cholo; May 23, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 04:25 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I think we need to have some standards when asking a question. I have about 5 people currently sending me PM's asking different questions about different steps and different configurations and different end goals.

Here's what I need to know when you ask a question:

1) What hardware are you using in the question (ie, ArduPilot, ArduIMU, Remzibi OSD)
2) What GPS are you using (ie uBlox, NMEA)
3) What step are you on? (ie Step #5)
4) Where did you get your ArduPilot/ArduIMU source? (ie The Google Repository or HappyKillmore's source from this link: http://...)

cholo, your error most likely has to do with using the wrong version of the ArduPilot or ArduIMU source. Since I these same variables and Serial.print commands now appear in both the ArduPilot and ArduIMU source I don't know which one you're trying to compile. Yes, Ardu1.5 is the latest for Remzibi's OSD...
Old May 23, 2010, 04:50 PM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
“Hi Murphy,
Are you using Ublox GPS?” MIG-29

MIG-29,

No

John
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old May 24, 2010, 04:40 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
So, for the moment, the conclusion is that Ardupilot works with Ardushield V2 and ONLY Ublox GPS.
Working with other GPS modules (especially the GPS used by Remzibi OSD) is not straightforward and requires some sort of magic that is not known to everybody today...

Is this safe to say?

Best regards,
MIG-29

Quote:
Yes. At this point, it's only a stab in the dark. Nobody seems to know how to set the mux to get things to work with Shield V2. All the testing that Jordi, Jose, Doug and Jason seem to do involve only the EM406 connection and a uBlox. The don't test anything else. Until Jordi pops up, we can only guess. I'd have it solved if I hadn't fried my shield.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:59 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,475 Posts
Then, how mmormota managed to fly it, assumed with remzibi stuff ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa