HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:22 AM
United States, GA, Thomasville
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Discussion
DX6i setup with T-28 Trojan

Newbie here, so be gentle with me.

I've somewhat mastered a Super Cub LP using the stock Tx. I've now graduated to a T-28 with a SpekTrum DX6i. I live in a remote area without the benefits of RC club members to help me setup the Tx.

I'm seeking basic Dx6i setup settings for a stock T-28 for a pilot who has yet to maiden. Not interested in experimenting with Flaperons at this point.

BTW - I have been logging hours on the PhoenixRC sim and have no issues in controlled flight in the virtual world.

Thank you in advance!
AgonyOfDefeat is offline Find More Posts by AgonyOfDefeat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:13 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
30% expo all around, dual rates to 50%, high to 100%.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:03 PM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Thanks Xpress.

So to confirm:

D/R & EXPO
AILE 50% -30%
ELEV 50% -30%
RUDD 50% -30%

TRAVEL ADJ = ALL 100%

SUB TRIM = ALL 0

FLAPS = NORM +50 (ALL 0)

Have I missed anything?

Sorry for being so green.
Old May 02, 2010, 06:27 AM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Maiden flight of stock T-28 was very stressful! Why?

NOTE: Flying conditions were perfect, zero wind. LiPo 2200mAh.
(1) I'm a newbie, graduating from flying numerous Super Cub LP's.
(2) It took longer than expected to get off the ground, probably 30 yards.
(3) I could never get the bird trimmed, center stick pushed the plane straight down! I had to stay on the sticks the entire flight to keep it in the air.
(4) After 6+ minutes of flight, I learned that it requires a l-o-n-g approach to land. I'm not used to starting the decent so far out. The plane comes in pretty fast. Failed at least ten approaches as I kept running out of landing area (a football field!)
(5) Eventually I got a good approach and landed on all three wheels. Plane rolled to a stop. Pilot took first breath of air since taking off!

Damage Report: Apparently the landing was more rough than I thought, it managed to weaken the area where the wing attaches to the fuse. The foam cracked around the wing attachment. My glue gun fixed it and the wing is tight again now. However, my concern is what will happen if/when I have a rougher landing or mild mishap...

Anyway, I plan to make several adjustments before going up again.
(1) I will adjust the elevator settings in my DX6i to get off the ground quicker.

My guess is that the elevator setting is also my issue with not obtaining level flight.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Last edited by AgonyOfDefeat; May 02, 2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old May 02, 2010, 08:03 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,553 Posts
One of the things I learned a long time ago was to reach across to the elevator trim with your left thumb, and the ails. for that matter. Paid off in test flying a lot of club members planes. Practice so you can touch it without looking down at the trans. Now you can fly the first flight with your hand off the elev. Make sure the CG is right on and the elev. is parallel with the stab.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 02, 2010, 09:26 AM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Thanks for the advise -- I will practice your method on the DX6i

BTW - how do you determine which servo arm hole to use to attach the pushrods to the rudder, aileron, & elevators?
Old May 02, 2010, 09:36 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,553 Posts
If the plane mfg shows the control surface travel, to start off, use the outermost hole in the servo, to get the best resolution. Start out with the outermost hole in the surface horn, then move in to get the proper throw. If it's still to much throw in the outer hole in the horn, then move in a hole in the servo. Once you get it dialed in, use the servo end points to fine tune it.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 02, 2010, 09:46 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,986 Posts
Just a couple of idea's for you, I would not adjust trim to take off faster. Your plane should have taken of in less than 30 feet. Plane should be trimmed goog when you are in the air and everything flies level at aprox 3/4 throttle. Full throttle should be climbing,I also use the 2200's in my T-28. They should not be pushed foward all the way up or you are probably going to be extremely nose heavy. The rear of mine are about even with the hump in the fuse furthest away from the front at the rear of the battery if that makes sense. U will be using speed and elevator input to lift off the ground pull up when you get some speed up and pull up some more until you are getting the nose off the ground. I like to come off the ground smoothly and not drag the rear off the plane on the pavement. Make sure that your control surfaces are level with the fixed surfaces they line up with, set your trims to center as well. Get the plane off the ground and get some distance between the plane and the ground as soon as you can. This will give you a little safe time to make your adjustments. Also it does come in pretty quick. As soon as you get your plane trimmed where you are not fighting the flight. You can get the feel of how slow you can actually fly this plane. Keep some altitude up but reduce throttle and see the speed where it will descend. Also try adding some up elevator and decreasing throttle. Just a few ideas to help you out!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old May 02, 2010, 12:48 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
I am new to the T-28 too. I was having problems with hot landings. I figured out that the only way I could land is with 0 throttle on the approach, and up elevator just at touch-down. Glides right in.

Are you sure you centered your control surfaces with the TX and RX both on and bound? If so, maybe you have a mix enabled on the TX? Or the 50% rates may be too low. I use 70%/100% and 0 expo on both rates. I find the expo more of a hinder than a help. (maybe that will change with more advanced aircraft). You should have been able to take off within 20 ft. Use the original holes for the pushrods. The manual shows the throw distances in low and high rates.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Last edited by restlessswind; May 02, 2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old May 02, 2010, 01:07 PM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
'Preciate the feedback and I am taking note of these changes (so that I keep up with what has changed.)

Is it overkill to use Loctite on the foam planes. Concerned about the servo horn screw vibrating loose.

Too bad it's gusty winds here today -- looking forward to more flight time.
Old May 02, 2010, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Only use locktite on metal-to metal machine threads (prop adapter, etc). The control horns will not come loose.

Gusty winds here too... I was able to fly my Trojan yesterday morning. That's when I finally figured out how to land. I went home to recharge the batteries, and went out again before the winds ....
Thats when my wing hit a $%*&$ light pole and wrecked my plane Luckily, all I need is a Stab and cowl. I thought it was toast as the wing ripped right out. Glue and tape!
Old May 02, 2010, 04:45 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgonyOfDefeat View Post
Thanks Xpress.

So to confirm:

D/R & EXPO
AILE 50% -30%
ELEV 50% -30%
RUDD 50% -30%

TRAVEL ADJ = ALL 100%

SUB TRIM = ALL 0

FLAPS = NORM +50 (ALL 0)

Have I missed anything?

Sorry for being so green.

I hope you didn't set the expo to "negative" 30%--as in "-30%." That would have the opposite effect of what you want. Make sure all your expo is "positive" or "+30%."

For a newbie on the T-28 I would suggest 30-40% positive expo so you don't over do it on the sticks. Dual rates at 60/90% should do fine and you shouldn't need high rates just to fly it around and get used to it.

Have fun!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 02, 2010, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Sammy, I indeed had my Expo set to negative! I spent this windy day learning how to properly setup D/R and Expo. Yes, I know I should have done that day one but I rushed to fly and it almost cost me my plane. I'm looking forward to flying with corrected controls.

I really appreciate the input.
Old May 02, 2010, 08:59 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgonyOfDefeat View Post
Sammy, I indeed had my Expo set to negative! I spent this windy day learning how to properly setup D/R and Expo. Yes, I know I should have done that day one but I rushed to fly and it almost cost me my plane. I'm looking forward to flying with corrected controls.

I really appreciate the input.
Wow, -30% and you survived! You'll fly like a PRO with the expo going the right way

You're most welcome and happy flying!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 03, 2010, 06:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Is there an application where "-" expo is preferred? I don't understand.

I know what expo is , + numbs neutral area of stick for the first X % of the throw whereas - numbs X% of the limits of stick throw. Just do't comprehend the need of this function.

I also know Futaba uses the reverse method to really confuse us