Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by wedgewing, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:54 AM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,685 Posts
Mike. I agree with Dave that a simulator is the place to start. Otherwise your first flight is going to last about 10 seconds. Any chance you have an Android phone? There is a free simulator on there that isn't great but good enough to at least learn orientation and which stick does what. You can also go down to your local Hobby Town and play around on the simulator there. Let us know. I am sure one or more of us can help you out at the field but realistically without being familiar with the radio and the way the plane flies will only frustrate you and make you walk away from a great hobby.
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:36 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,228 Posts
2 things. You NEED a simulator.

Second, I'm a member at Aurora. It's the nicest field around. If you join the club you can get setup with an instructor for some lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecup View Post
Thanks for the welcome.
I have no simulator, and I have never flown before, so I'm going to wing it I guess. I ordered that AXN cloud and the skylon jet, supposed to be easy to fly. That's what the guy said on YouTube anyhow.
I ordered the planes and a transmitter (turnigy 9ch) from Hobbyking, still waiting for it all to show up.should be this week I hope.
Sure seams like a great hobby. So tell me, you guys are members of all the clubs in the area? I stopped at the Aurora field a few days ago,(while I was working) its nice. I know the Garfield field is over there off warner rd. I'm not sure where Doylestown is, the city that is.
Hey Nov, I live close to blossom also, I live in the Hidden Lakes development, rite where wyoga lake rd dead ends into state rd.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:42 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgewing View Post
+1 Ray

Been doing the interview thing

Wont be flying this weekend .. Sam and I will be on the road
Man I spent all day tinkering, it was a nice day to have the garage door open and get some stuff done. Man is the A9 nice for setting planes up. Started working on the 72 yesterday, really want to get that done by huckfest I don't the the gen lee 42 is gonna have lights on it by then but hopefully it will be flying. I really wanna get out sunday as well to do some actual flying as well

Mike, welcome! Alot of good advice here, another good option would be hobbyzone Champ. The simulator is great for learning stick movements, what does what, and especially when the weather goes crappy, but there is nothing like flying the real thing. The champ comes ready to fly for less than 100 bucks and is perfect for going to the school to get some real stick time!
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:25 AM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nov View Post
I am in the Blossom Glen development off of steels corners - we need to get you a simulator - they run about $165 - much cheaper to learn on that than going through lots of planes. We can all fly together on line during the winter which makes it a huge plus.
Tell where to buy one, or better yet give me a link.
I have been wanting to get one, but not sure which one would work good.
mikecup is offline Find More Posts by mikecup
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
2 things. You NEED a simulator.

Second, I'm a member at Aurora. It's the nicest field around. If you join the club you can get setup with an instructor for some lessons.
I stopped out at the aurora field this past Sat, I was working out that way, there was a guy there with his wife from Beechwood flying heli's.
Real nice field. How should I go about joining?
He gave me Jeff's number to call, is that the best way?
mikecup is offline Find More Posts by mikecup
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'm a pilot... I can fly
United States, OH, Hiram
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Auroras Club Site:
http://www.flyingacesofaurora.org/

I Fly Real Flight...I bought mine here because I am a member and get free shipping. Use Promo Code 010B3 To save $25
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXADPN&P=3

Get $30 off By using this code 010B4 but need to throw in a bottle of CA or something cheap like that.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK282&P=ML

I myself fly at Aurora and Cleveland, Aurora mostly since I live close to it. Great Field and Friendly people.
svonavja is offline Find More Posts by svonavja
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:50 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
I would agree in RealFlight G5.5

The other benefit is we all jump in it in a multilayer mode and help eachother learn things as well...

If you can make it out to fly with us, we can put you on what they call a buddy box and have you fly (without fear) a real plane and the setup allows us to take control back if you get in a jam...

3DHS also sells a pretty indestructible foamie (extra 330 EPP ) that would also be a fun way to learn

Let us know
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:48 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,693 Posts
Dave,

Let me know what time you might get to d-town. I'll show you my new Buck 1.5 :-)
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:36 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Haha...hilarious follow up to my story about my friends house we are watching ...

Neighbors have been entering the house and both Sam and I set up "tell tales" all over to give away door opening and movement ...

Came back tonight and confirmed they were in again so went to Home Depot and for $40 changed all locks in the house...

Great lesson for Sam as I was installing deadbolts .... "in your life you will see many things....this one takes the cake and will teach you about the nature of some humans"

Freaking classic! I can't wait for them to show up tomorrow and not gain entry.... I seriously think the mother has her kids play in their house and uses our friends house as her "Mom Cave"....
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:12 AM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,685 Posts
Hopefully the neighbors weren't asked to feed the extremely old family pet that is in the basement that you don't know about. How bad would that suck!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:12 AM
I'm a pilot... I can fly
United States, OH, Hiram
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Wow thats just wrong! Nice work on changing the locks! Your a swell friend!
svonavja is offline Find More Posts by svonavja
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:24 AM
nov
Garage sale junkie
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
hope you tell the owner of the home what you did before they get home
nov is offline Find More Posts by nov
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:58 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
I was on the phone with them and told them "you can't be nice and get taken advantage of anymore" ....the only choice the owners had last night was 'brass or nickel finish' ....

Went super quick and stealthy and I wish I could see their face (the intruders) when they roll up today ...they wait til we are gone ....

My favorite was also removing the locking door knob on the side of the garage and just mounting a deadbolt .... the owners have never once used that door and it's just another weak point that is a burglars dream...
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:08 AM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,685 Posts
Man I wish you could get video of them trying to get in. How great would that be. Talk about awkward once the owners come home and have to live next to them. They neighbors will know that they know.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:09 AM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,685 Posts
Any of you guys needing vinyl before Huckfest? Getting down to crunch time so I just want to make sure I have you covered.