HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by wedgewing, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:31 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89 View Post
I went into hobbytown today in strongsville and I don't know if any of you guys have been in there recently but it really seemed like there stock on stuff was low! Its either the things I'm looking for never seem to be there or in the last six months there has been a drop in stuff they are carrying. Really hope they aren't closing or anything for nothing else but the convienence.
I even asked one of the guys if they were re-arranging the store last time I was in there. It definitely looks odd in there.

(the dude played it off like there was nothing at all different in the store)
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:24 AM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,688 Posts
I feel bad for those guys at Hobby Town. They seem to be living in the dark and ignoring the online based business that sell the same and/or better products for much less then them. When I picked Tyler up from the airport for Huckfest we stopped in and the guy was like, "I never heard of 3D Hobby Shop, do you have a website or something?" Ha.
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Nov 05, 2010, 11:37 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,301 Posts
Nick, I think you hit the nail on the head with them totally missing out on any type of online business. Its crazy tho I remember going in there and crawling/barely fitting up that spiral staircase and having that whole upstairs full of cars/airplanes, cases of different engines, that giant slot car set up (boy werent slot cars the coolest back in the day?!?). It almost seems like they are focusing more on R/C cars and stocking a lot of train stuff. Which I guess in a community like Strongsville the cars makes sense, but not competing online is just not keeping up with the times.
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Nov 05, 2010, 11:54 AM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,688 Posts
Yeah. It sucks because they are all great guys. I feel bad because I used to go in there and drop tons of cash, but now all I buy there is CA and foamie props. I went in there looking for Hitec receivers and the guy said "Oh I never heard of the Aurora 9." geez. Steve the owner has got to be pretty close to retirement age, so I think the "drive" just isn't there anymore.The place in North Royalton is all trains too.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 12:59 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89 View Post
Nick, I think you hit the nail on the head with them totally missing out on any type of online business. Its crazy tho I remember going in there and crawling/barely fitting up that spiral staircase and having that whole upstairs full of cars/airplanes, cases of different engines, that giant slot car set up (boy werent slot cars the coolest back in the day?!?). It almost seems like they are focusing more on R/C cars and stocking a lot of train stuff. Which I guess in a community like Strongsville the cars makes sense, but not competing online is just not keeping up with the times.
RC cars and trains are a much bigger market then RC planes... we're the lower guys on the totem pole really. Mostly because the basic act of flying is a far higher bar to reach than simply driving a car or train.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Nov 05, 2010, 01:50 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Oh I think they know 3DHobbyshop.... Dabbler and I had his extra and my 51 Slick in the parking lot and many were admiring :-) I have brought the Sukhoi in there when the ESC wouldn't work..... they have an online business through the HT site, but their bread and butter is GP and Eflite ....now that better starter options are becoming available it will hurt....for stuff like helis and cheap planes....Airhogs from WalMart chew into that segment ....then you move to online.....bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love nachos View Post
I feel bad for those guys at Hobby Town. They seem to be living in the dark and ignoring the online based business that sell the same and/or better products for much less then them. When I picked Tyler up from the airport for Huckfest we stopped in and the guy was like, "I never heard of 3D Hobby Shop, do you have a website or something?" Ha.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:16 PM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
RC cars and trains are a much bigger market then RC planes... we're the lower guys on the totem pole really. Mostly because the basic act of flying is a far higher bar to reach than simply driving a car or train.
Makes sense. I wouldn't mind having a nice RC car to rip around the back yard with, but trains have no appeal to me.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:27 PM
nov
Garage sale junkie
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister782 View Post
wow! also I am glad all the gay talk calmed down. I had to grab the wife and squeeze her boob to see if I was still headed the right direction. All is fine
Well that would make this thread "Racks for the Relaxed". Glad you are in the right direction - we were worried about you
nov is offline Find More Posts by nov
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:53 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love nachos View Post

I had the exact same conversation with the Hobby Town here in Richmond. Then the guy threw in that anything that I can get online they can get as well and "save me some shipping costs"???? But given the high prices on everything else in the store relative to online my thought was "yeah right" but then the price I pay for Ben's plane will be marked up 20% or more higher than normal to cover that "free" shipping then I will pay local sales tax on top of that.

I have seen a huge shift in stock at my local hobby town away from planes and towards, cars, trucks, and low end helicopters. They seem more popular as theKM mentioned. Traffic in the store is A LOT higher now that they have done that. But now the skeevy clientele makes me a little afraid to go in there now. This last weekend I was not sure if this couple was a "couple" or a pimp and his ho. The thump--thump cars in the parking lot have increased a lot and the number of patrons with missing teeth and personal hygiene issues have gone through the roof as well.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:00 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
I spent this week in Dallas, TX and bumped into a Hobby Town store down there. The story was the same with a minor difference. They had a huge amount of RC boats as well. I think those kinds of products or more conducive to people coming in for repairs and other service as well.

Every time I go into HT there is someone there having the HT people repair his car / truck, etc. and asking a million questions of the store employees. Or diagnosing issues that they are reporting. So, it may be that the HT becomes the replacement for the advice and stuff that you get from an AMA club. I am sure most of the people coming in don't belong to car clubs.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:07 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Hobby Town will have to start selling Ed Hardy T-shirts and flat brimmed baseball caps if they go more car :-)

I am always surprised how many of the guys on the Addicts thread have big time cars as well.....last time I was in HT it was a collection of every freaky person and car stuff was all over the counters......

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old Nov 06, 2010, 10:22 AM
nov
Garage sale junkie
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
rc cars are gay sorry Bob just wanted to get the gay thing going again so you could do your test on the wife I know one thing, my brother-in-law has a car and they are very fun - was shocked to see the sticker price of $500!
nov is offline Find More Posts by nov
Old Nov 06, 2010, 10:55 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Saw that an awesome car can wind up setting you back.more than.an awesomely set up 89 Slick (that's before tattoos and piercings :-) )

No thanks.......

Sent by Droid X on tapatalk with the full intention to not succomb to the urge to call RC Cars "Gay" even though they are completly Gay.....Trains are like windowless vans...Pedophilic lures for children......their lack of portability has saved more children
Old Nov 06, 2010, 12:32 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgewing View Post
Saw that an awesome car can wind up setting you back.more than.an awesomely set up 89 Slick (that's before tattoos and piercings :-) )

...that'd be funny... cheesed out vinyl Slick and find somewhere to give it a belly button piercing...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Nov 06, 2010, 01:07 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,301 Posts
Boy you aren't lying on the price! I know the money I threw into my little itty bitty 18th scale I could set up another 42 slick, and then when you start talking about trains, o boy!
so whos flying tomorrow??
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89